Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is overall better?
Rio de Janeiro 18 60.00%
Ho Chi Minh City 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 10:11 AM

36,911 posts, read 38,826,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
They're Afro-Caribbean. It's the most black majority country in the hemisphere. Their culture is predominantly West African rather than Latin, whereas in Hispanic and Lusophone America Latin is the predominant culture even in heavily Native American influenced cultures like Mexico and Peru. Africans are an important minority group in many LatAm countries as they are in the States.
In the English language, Latin America generally derives from language roots and Haiti is usually included. Haiti isn't even that large of a country so it doesn't really derail a comparison much. I think if you wanted to specifically exclude French language roots and have only Portuguese and Spanish, then the term for it in English would Ibero-America though that's not a particularly common term. Certainly Haiti isn't quite in the same cultural sphere as much of Latin America, but neither is Brazil and much of that is due to language differences whereas the rest of Latin America may speak Spanish with varying accents, slang, and conventions, but are all mutually intelligible. However, if the idea is to compare to Southeast Asia, then having a unifying language or broader culture doesn't seem necessary since Southeast Asia also runs a gamut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 04:20 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,135,094 times
I’ve been to both and my goodness are they different. They are so dissimilar that they are difficult to compare. The propensity for violence in Rio knocks an otherwise magnificent city down a lot which is a shame. Rio has such a neat vibe and has the worlds most beautiful people (by a long shot) but the danger of taking a knife to the ribs for a kid wanting your sunglasses must be taken into account.

Saigon is a crazy, energetic city with more culture shock compared to Rio. To me it has a nervous vibe. Wouldn’t go there to relax. Food is much better in Saigon and it’s much more safe than Rio.

So Saigon wins due to safety issues. I never like to walk the streets of a given town constantly having to look over my shoulder. I’ve been to Rio three times and was almost mugged in Ipanema. The guy backed down because I’m 6’4” and 220 lbs and yes, he was after my sun glasses. After that occurrence I never went back.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:06 PM

3,238 posts, read 2,364,925 times
Two different cities, difficult to answer. I haven't been to Rio de Janeiro, maybe it wins wins most categories as Brazil is more developed than Vietnam. But the crime rate - Rio is known for its very high crime rate. Who wants to be a victim of crime?Saigon seemed to be safe in every way.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:37 PM

1,138 posts, read 510,034 times
HCMC has a more hard working and business culture, that's why many foreign companies prefer manufacturing goods in that region of Vietnam. Brazil is more expensive for foreign investment.

Brazil is no doubt a western country and as free as Portugal and other EU countries, it is more free than the US.

Old 10-06-2019, 02:55 PM

801 posts, read 1,504,492 times
Interesting comparison but I'm gonna go with Rio.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:06 PM

867 posts, read 899,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
. Certainly Haiti isn't quite in the same cultural sphere as much of Latin America, but neither is Brazil and much of that is due to language differences whereas the rest of Latin America may speak Spanish with varying accents, slang, and conventions, but are all mutually intelligible.

BR Portuguese and Spanish are actually mutually intelligible to a large extent. French, not so much, too different phonetically. And Haitian Creole...well, much more difficult.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:02 PM

102 posts, read 114,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
Two different cities, difficult to answer. I haven't been to Rio de Janeiro, maybe it wins wins most categories as Brazil is more developed than Vietnam. But the crime rate - Rio is known for its very high crime rate. Who wants to be a victim of crime?Saigon seemed to be safe in every way.
Even the most "dangerous" cities in ASEAN is way safer than your average Latin American county. Murder rate in Southeast Asia does not reach 20 murders per 100,000 people;while the average in Latin America is 25 murders per 100,000, then you have Caracas that has 100 murders per 100,000 people.

Plus as a region, ASEAN is more diverse. You see most of the world's religions over there, people speaking different languages. South America is too homogenous if you put it side by side Southeast Asia.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:04 AM

5,490 posts, read 13,863,900 times
Saigon is winning trophy symbol. If you want even further exotic, or unique. And safe, underrated touristic zone that is relatively unknown. Rio is quite dangerous, and kind of a copycat twin to tons of other cities. Usually Spanish or Portuguese in the Americas. Saigon is without any other parallel. At least quite a bit.

If Sao Paulo is in the mix, then I have equal preference. Or at least closer in the final.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:04 AM

273 posts, read 169,819 times
Rio is better in everything but food, and crime.
That's where Ho Chi Minh city is way better, Rio has homicide and violent crime rates comparable to modern day wars.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:00 PM

1,756 posts, read 2,508,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
Brazil is no doubt a western country and as free as Portugal and other EU countries, it is more free than the US.
We, brazilians, have a joke about our supposed "freedom":

- In China, everything is forbidden, except what is expressly allowed.
- In USA, everything is allowed, except what is expressly forbidden.
- In Afghanistan, everything is forbidden, including what is expressly allowed.
- In Brazil, everything is allowed, including what is expressly forbidden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World