U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which new city(ies) would you most like to see host the Olympics for first time?
Accra 4 12.12%
Bologna 0 0%
Brisbane 6 18.18%
Budapest 3 9.09%
Buenos Aires 1 3.03%
Cairo 1 3.03%
Jakarta 0 0%
Johannesburg 6 18.18%
Kuala Lumpur + Singapore 6 18.18%
Madrid 2 6.06%
Mumbai 0 0%
Rhine-Ruhr 1 3.03%
Saint Petersburg 3 9.09%
Shanghai 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 02:25 AM

8,495 posts, read 7,777,850 times

Advertisements

Shanghai has no plan at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 02:36 AM

1,993 posts, read 852,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
2021 Update (Wow, has a lot happened since this): Brisbane has been announced as the "preferred city" of the IOC to host in 2032.

Thoughts? I think infrastructurally, they have been improving, and should be able to handle this, and at this point now, they are legitimately as a name brand on the world stage, whereas before Brisbane was probably significantly less well known on a global scale than say, Sydney and Melbourne. Props and congrats to them (as it is likely it will wind up there apparently), and best of luck on hosting!

I wonder if one of the themes here can be helping to restore/save the Great Barrier Reef. I realize that is more like 800ish miles away from Brisbane itself, but I can't help lumping them together just because it is the closest major city, and I'd have to imagine, a possible stop over point for tourists on their way to check out that area.

In any case, I would imagine that the beach volleyball, potentially on Gold Coast, would be pretty neat!
Not much can be done to help the reef on a micro scale. There is very limited tourism up there out on the reef itself, very tightly controlled. I think the issue is the water temperature and that issue cannot be solved by any one country.

When I was a kid we would go up to the Whitsundays and walk on the reefs around the islands and collect coral. Now you cannot even stand on it and it is actually very difficult for poor swimmers to snorkel in shallow water and avoid touching bottom. People have become frightened of the sharks and stingers and a few of the islands never reopened after cyclones in the past few years.

Old 03-01-2021, 12:02 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,893,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I am surprised as anyone about that, I cant say I am overjoyed at the prospect of the Olympics been held in Brisbane.

Its seems the things working in Brisbane's Favor is that most of the infrastructure already exists, or is under construction.

Also at least 10 different governments (Federal, State, and south east QLD local/city councils) are in favor of it.

Its also very much a south east QLD bid, and may be very different to any other Olympics, the Opening and Closing ceremony may be held in a rectangular (Football) stadium, the athletics and swimming held on on the Gold Coast (The main Circular stadium in Brisbane, is way too built up in its immediate vicinity, to allow proper warm up facilities), the rowing and Canoeing might even be held in Sydney, using the same venues at the 2000 Olympics.
If you don't mind, could you elaborate on some of this with links, etc? I'm honestly just not at all familiar with Brisbane and it's offerings, identity as a city, makeup, etc. I'm actually more familiar with Gold Coast, as from what I understand it is sorta like a Miami Beach/primary beach tourism destination for Australia, though unlike Miami Beach which is more mid level and low level historic structures, Gold Coast to me looks more like Sunny Isles Beach, FL, than it does Miami Beach, or even more like Cancun or Cabo do. Again, that's just from pictures. What is the largest capacity stadium Brisbane has at this time? Do you think it's possible they might try to build a new venue in advance of the games? I'm not sure whether Sydney's is new or not, but we went to the stadium that hosted athletics/ceremonies when we visited, and it seemed new. Melbourne's were not, it was inside their iconic, historic I presume, Cricket Ground. Then again, they hosted way back in 1956.

I assume because Brisbane is closer to the tropics but yet it is winter, the weather will be absolutely optimal for athletes and patrons at that time (highs of 74, lows of 52 in August, perfect for peak performance). You'll have to forgive my ignorance of Brisbane, I would like to know more about venues and about the city in general though. Going to Sydney would be a logistical challenge to be sure, but I think the Olympics has had worse ones, the flight isn't too bad.

Why couldn't the main circular stadium at very least host ceremonies? It seems like it is to the advantage of a games to have a primary stadium (with only maybe a few exceptions where it's been otherwise), within no more than a couple miles of it's main downtown core.

It's a unique and interesting choice, as I think that most recent picks have been far more known about prior to hosting, so I will look forward to learning more in the years ahead, and seeing how they get ready. Atlanta is probably the last time such a relative upstart hosted, and perhaps I am wrong but I would guess even in 1989, Atlanta was a more known name globally than Brisbane is now.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:43 PM

28,881 posts, read 28,030,346 times
Quote:
2021 Update (Wow, has a lot happened since this): Brisbane has been announced as the "preferred city" of the IOC to host in 2032.

Thoughts? I think infrastructurally, they have been improving, and should be able to handle this, and at this point now, they are legitimately as a name brand on the world stage, whereas before Brisbane was probably significantly less well known on a global scale than say, Sydney and Melbourne. Props and congrats to them (as it is likely it will wind up there apparently), and best of luck on hosting!

I wonder if one of the themes here can be helping to restore/save the Great Barrier Reef. I realize that is more like 800ish miles away from Brisbane itself, but I can't help lumping them together just because it is the closest major city, and I'd have to imagine, a possible stop over point for tourists on their way to check out that area.

In any case, I would imagine that the beach volleyball, potentially on Gold Coast, would be pretty neat!

If they really want to make an environmental thrust on this, they should consider better rail infrastructure for the inevitable tourists hopping among the major cities in the eastern seaboard of Australia.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:26 PM

3,993 posts, read 6,005,528 times
Quote:
If you don't mind, could you elaborate on some of this with links, etc? I'm honestly just not at all familiar with Brisbane and it's offerings, identity as a city, makeup, etc. I'm actually more familiar with Gold Coast, as from what I understand it is sorta like a Miami Beach/primary beach tourism destination for Australia, though unlike Miami Beach which is more mid level and low level historic structures, Gold Coast to me looks more like Sunny Isles Beach, FL, than it does Miami Beach, or even more like Cancun or Cabo do. Again, that's just from pictures. What is the largest capacity stadium Brisbane has at this time? Do you think it's possible they might try to build a new venue in advance of the games? I'm not sure whether Sydney's is new or not, but we went to the stadium that hosted athletics/ceremonies when we visited, and it seemed new. Melbourne's were not, it was inside their iconic, historic I presume, Cricket Ground. Then again, they hosted way back in 1956.

I assume because Brisbane is closer to the tropics but yet it is winter, the weather will be absolutely optimal for athletes and patrons at that time (highs of 74, lows of 52 in August, perfect for peak performance). You'll have to forgive my ignorance of Brisbane, I would like to know more about venues and about the city in general though. Going to Sydney would be a logistical challenge to be sure, but I think the Olympics has had worse ones, the flight isn't too bad.

Why couldn't the main circular stadium at very least host ceremonies? It seems like it is to the advantage of a games to have a primary stadium (with only maybe a few exceptions where it's been otherwise), within no more than a couple miles of it's main downtown core.

It's a unique and interesting choice, as I think that most recent picks have been far more known about prior to hosting, so I will look forward to learning more in the years ahead, and seeing how they get ready. Atlanta is probably the last time such a relative upstart hosted, and perhaps I am wrong but I would guess even in 1989, Atlanta was a more known name globally than Brisbane is now.

Most of what I typed is media speculation at the moment, weather we get a new stadium or not remains to be seen.

The Gold Coast is brand new for the most part, its been the fastest growing city in Australia since the 1950's. So you need to think an area of 600,000 people that has no historic core, and has been built entirely during the age of the motor car, with huge quantities of canal estates, and quarter acre blocks once you get outside the main beach/high-rise areas.

Brisbane and the Gold Coast are connected by rail, it takes about 1 hour and 20 minutes to get from central Brisbane to Surfers Paradise Beach (50 miles away) the trip involves a change of train between a main heavy rail line, and a new light rail line that that takes you to the beach. By most definitions the Gold Coast and Brisbane form a single metro area, even if they are not actually considered such by the Australian government.

As you mentioned, the weather in our winter should be brilliant for the athletics, not too hot or too cold. Though it could rain a lot if we have some kind of freak weather pattern, which does happen every so often.

Brisbanes two existing main stadiums are the gabba, and Suncorp stadium.

Here is the Gabba

https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/...ba-aerial1.jpg

As you can see, its the perfect size for a running track, and that big bit of dirt you see in front of it will be an undergroud rail station (which is been built now), the station, will possibly have a large multi story apartment complex on top of it once 2032 comes around.

On the down side, it currently only holds 40,000 people, as as mentioned the area is already built up, so you have no capacity to build any kind of warm up facility within the immediate vicinity of the stadium.

Suncorp stadium is a 52,000 seat football stadium, once again its well serviced by trains and there is a large bus interchange underneath the stadium. The photo is at least 10 years old by the looks of things, there are lots more multi story apartments in the immediate vacinity these days, and the 3 tallest buildings in the city/downtown are missing.

https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/...rp-stadium.jpg

This also a link to the austadiums web site, discussing possibly olympic venues and concepts, for a possibly new stadium north of the Brisbane river.

https://www.austadiums.com/news/921/...enues-revealed

This the main stadium on the Gold Coast, as you can see the area is no where near as built up, so the capacity to upgrade this one is possibly a lot greater. This was also used as the main stadium for the 2018 British Commonwealth games, obviously its not the olympics, however still a rather large sporting event featuring about 70 countries and 4500 athletes.

https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/...st_aerial1.jpg

Last edited by danielsa1775; 03-01-2021 at 05:41 PM..

Old 03-01-2021, 06:58 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,601,243 times
So did they only go with Brisbane because they were afraid no one would bid? How the mighty have fallen. At this point, it's unclear whether IOC or FIFA is the biggest failure.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:47 PM

6,263 posts, read 1,617,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
So did they only go with Brisbane because they were afraid no one would bid? How the mighty have fallen. At this point, it's unclear whether IOC or FIFA is the biggest failure.
There is no bidding anymore. Process has changed, but other cities have certainly expressed interest.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:58 PM

7,650 posts, read 6,072,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If they really want to make an environmental thrust on this, they should consider better rail infrastructure for the inevitable tourists hopping among the major cities in the eastern seaboard of Australia.
If they really want to make an environmental thrust on this, they should recycle the venues from the 2000 Olympics instead of building a bunch of new **** that no one will ever use after the game.

Sports events like the Olympics is a testament to how nobody ever gave a single **** about the environment since the beginning of time. Climate change is important until we have a penis measuring contest at hand. Pathetic.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:26 PM

28,881 posts, read 28,030,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
If they really want to make an environmental thrust on this, they should recycle the venues from the 2000 Olympics instead of building a bunch of new **** that no one will ever use after the game.

Sports events like the Olympics is a testament to how nobody ever gave a single **** about the environment since the beginning of time. Climate change is important until we have a penis measuring contest at hand. Pathetic.

That's also true. I actually think there is some kind of useful uniting purpose for the Olympics, but it does make sense to go for cities that have already made the expenditures to infrastructure to host an event of this size and can quickly repurpose existing infrastructure without much difficulty. This doesn't mean it has to be the same city year over year per se, but it makes a lot more sense than the oodles of custom expenditure for each event.

Fortunately or unfortunately, this would mean the Olympics would be relegated to pretty massive cities/metropolises and highly developed and/or cities that have already recently made that expenditure.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:20 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,798,014 times
Bangcock would be nice. City deals with millions of tourist, have a decent Metro, great food and culture, nice modern airport. The sporting venues, I dont know if it exists and could be expensivefor an emergingcountry. .
Of that list Buenas Aires would be amazing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World