U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 07:24 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,360,314 times

Advertisements

I grew up near the US-Canada border and have spent quite a lot of time around southern Ontario, and seen a lot of BC as well. I have not been to Quebec which I know does not really fit in with generalizations about the rest of Canada. And this year I will have spent 5 months in Australia (sitting in Brisbane as we speak).

Socio-economically and in day to day life, they seem about as similar as two countries can be (I suppose if we're leaving Quebec out of this). Geographically, both have a few large cities with next to nothing in between. Canada ranks #2 in the world by area and Australia ranks #6, both in the same realm size-wise as the USA, but both countries fall near the bottom of the list in population density - #187 for Canada with 4 people/ km2 and #192 for Australia with 3 people per km2. Nearly everyone lives in the suburbs of a small number of cities and commutes in for work every day. It's very similar to the US lifestyle of wake up early and spend 30 minutes (or more) in the car just to sit in the office all day and drive home in the evening. A lot of people, save for those living in more central areas of Sydney, Melbourne, Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver live in a house with a yard and a garage and need to drive literally everywhere - to the grocery store, to the hair salon, to the gym. It's hard to get by in either country without a car.

The main differences to me seem to be connectivity and landscape. Canada has the benefit (strictly speaking from a geographical standpoint here ) of having the USA right next door with their massive population and countless large cities. You can get to Europe in as little as 7-8 hours from the East Coast, and Central and South America quite easily. Australia is a 12+ hour flight from everywhere and at least to me, I really feel disconnected here.

Australia has some of the nicest coastline and beaches on the planet, but outside of the coast, there is a whole lotta nothing. No people, no water, no trees, barely even a small little hill. Try driving through western Queensland sometime (just kidding - don't) - thousands of kms of flat, dry desert. While Canada has plains in Manitoba and Saskatchewan, most of Canada is packed with lakes, rolling terrain and alpine forests. While there are not many people outside of the cities in either country, at least in Canada the scenery is a bit more lively in the desolate areas. If you're a fan of warmer climates and beaches, you will likely prefer Australia in this category. If you're more into mountains, skiing and drinking a cup of hot chocolate in front of the fire place, than you'll probably prefer Canada.

Australia certainly wins in the weather category, although lately the country has been ravaged by forest fires and the air has been brutally hazy. But i'll take the mild winters and hot summers of Brisbane over Toronto or Montreal weather any day of the week. Tasmania also has much milder summers than continental Australia, so there is some variety if we're considering the entire country.

As far as people go, Aussies are probably my favorite group of people in the world. They seem the most jovial, laid back, and genuinely trying to enjoy their lives. They seem to be career motivated but not killing themselves to pay the bills like Americans, and they value their time off, travel, and recreational time. This is not to say Canadians are not great people and I don't enjoy their company, but Australians definitely have the "coolest" reputation abroad and I enjoy their personalities the best.

All in all, in my opinion, Canada wins in connectivity to the rest of the world, and Australia wins in every other category.

Last edited by wikiwikirunner; 12-11-2019 at 07:32 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 08:24 PM

24,336 posts, read 30,586,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think this assessment is pretty much spot on. For me personally, climate is quite important and I much prefer Australian climates to Canadian ones but as mentioned, they do have their own risks. I think both countries have very good living standards compared to most other places in the world and wouldn't go wrong in either.
Australia is a fantastic country. I spent some time there in my youth and might have moved there permanently. There was a girl, you know...

Old 12-11-2019, 08:45 PM

20,887 posts, read 12,047,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Australia is a fantastic country. I spent some time there in my youth and might have moved there permanently. There was a girl, you know...
There's a story waiting to be told ……..

Old 12-11-2019, 10:12 PM

1,902 posts, read 814,501 times
Well we are off to western Queensland next year, to drive around and experience the nothingness. It is almost obligatory when you get to a certain age!!

I suppose it would be nice to be able to get to other countries more easily but Asia is not too far for us. We have been to Vietnam and Japan this year. Last year we made it to Alaska, Hawaii, Utah etc as well as France and Italy. You just have to hypnotise yourself to cope with the flights.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:35 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,360,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Well we are off to western Queensland next year, to drive around and experience the nothingness. It is almost obligatory when you get to a certain age!!

I suppose it would be nice to be able to get to other countries more easily but Asia is not too far for us. We have been to Vietnam and Japan this year. Last year we made it to Alaska, Hawaii, Utah etc as well as France and Italy. You just have to hypnotise yourself to cope with the flights.
I guess I am spoiled with connectivity by living in a major European city. I absolutely love not having to drive anywhere and the compact nature of most European cities, and that's hard to find in Australia or Canada. I've spent the last two northern hemisphere winters/ Australian summers in Australia, and I really enjoy that - especially since I can dodge the cold rainy weather in Madrid. For me, Australia is like Hawaii, if I know I'm going to leave relatively soon I don't think much about being so far away, but it is just a bit too far out for me to not feel restless if I were to live here permanently. That being said, I probably wouldn't move to Canada or back to the USA either, as I have grown too accustomed to the European way, but I digress. In any event, I thoroughly enjoy spending time down here, everything just seems to work pretty well, there is no shortage of gorgeous beaches, top notch food and drink, and my girlfriend's family home has a nice veranda to enjoy a beer on while watching the sunset. Hard to do better than that

Old 12-12-2019, 03:48 AM

40 posts, read 11,507 times
I haven't been to Canada but have friends there and know a few people who've lived in both countries. From what I've been told they are very similar in terms of day-to-day living, foundations and systems in place. Both offer a high quality of life for its average citizen. However there are minor differences between the two, climate being the main one. Some of the other ones I've been told are as below:

- Wages are a bit higher in Australia and working conditions a bit better with everyone guaranteed four weeks of annual leave and work environments usually a bit less stressful. Unemployment is a bit lower in Australia as well.
- Healthcare is supposedly a bit better in Australia as there is the option of both public and private healthcare, which consequently results in public healthcare system being slightly less than burdened than in Canada and of a slightly better quality.
- Canada has more dramatic and varied landscapes, making for better skiing, hiking. Australia has better opportunities for water activities due to its long coastline and year-round warm weather.
- Australian cities are a bit more uniform in terms of culture, language, infrastructure, structure, even immigration make-up. Canada I've been told has a bit more variation among its cities.
- Canada's economy is more diverse with manufacturing still being quite sizeable and the technology industry much bigger than Australia's and growing. Australia is a bit of a laggard in modernising its economy and more heavily dependent on resources and agriculture sector.
- Houses in Canada are on average a bit bigger than they are in Australia, but on the other hand apartment living is more common there.
- Public transport in Australia's major cities is a bit better than Canada. On the other hand the road and highway network in Canada is better.
- Shopping is a bit better in Canada with more brands and stores available and longer shopping hours.
- More exciting travel destinations are available in Canada within a short flight than Australia.
- Toronto and Montreal are bigger on arts and culture than Sydney and Melbourne.
- Being bi-lingual in English and French is necessary for a few jobs even in Ontario whereas Australia is resoundingly monolingual. (edit: Mandarin is starting to become Australia's second language, not sure if that's the case in Canada).

Last edited by sugartooth; 12-12-2019 at 04:01 AM..

Old 12-12-2019, 04:25 AM

906 posts, read 323,310 times
In the 2019 QNI, Canada came off at 28 and Australia 29.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
There's a story waiting to be told ……..
Nice try.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugartooth View Post
. (edit: Mandarin is starting to become Australia's second language, not sure if that's the case in Canada).
Mandarin is starting to become a second language in Vancouver (and to a tiny degree in Toronto) in the same way that it is in Australia - which is to say it's mostly just talk and window-dressing at the moment as opposed to anything producing tangible impacts on the ground (i.e. significant numbers of non-Chinese people being able to speak it).

Old 12-12-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugartooth View Post
I haven't been to Canada but have friends there and know a few people who've lived in both countries. From what I've been told they are very similar in terms of day-to-day living, foundations and systems in place. Both offer a high quality of life for its average citizen. However there are minor differences between the two, climate being the main one. Some of the other ones I've been told are as below:

- Wages are a bit higher in Australia and working conditions a bit better with everyone guaranteed four weeks of annual leave and work environments usually a bit less stressful. Unemployment is a bit lower in Australia as well.
- Healthcare is supposedly a bit better in Australia as there is the option of both public and private healthcare, which consequently results in public healthcare system being slightly less than burdened than in Canada and of a slightly better quality.
- Canada has more dramatic and varied landscapes, making for better skiing, hiking. Australia has better opportunities for water activities due to its long coastline and year-round warm weather.
- Australian cities are a bit more uniform in terms of culture, language, infrastructure, structure, even immigration make-up. Canada I've been told has a bit more variation among its cities.
- Canada's economy is more diverse with manufacturing still being quite sizeable and the technology industry much bigger than Australia's and growing. Australia is a bit of a laggard in modernising its economy and more heavily dependent on resources and agriculture sector.
- Houses in Canada are on average a bit bigger than they are in Australia, but on the other hand apartment living is more common there.
- Public transport in Australia's major cities is a bit better than Canada. On the other hand the road and highway network in Canada is better.
- Shopping is a bit better in Canada with more brands and stores available and longer shopping hours.
- More exciting travel destinations are available in Canada within a short flight than Australia.
- Toronto and Montreal are bigger on arts and culture than Sydney and Melbourne.
- Being bi-lingual in English and French is necessary for a few jobs even in Ontario whereas Australia is resoundingly monolingual. (edit: Mandarin is starting to become Australia's second language, not sure if that's the case in Canada).
Overall these are really good points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World