Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 01:19 PM

26,777 posts, read 37,732,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
In Sydney a big issue is getting to the train station as parking is difficult. The buses in the outer suburbs might only run half hourly to the station. The inner suburbs are much better in that respect.

Pretty much the same situation you'll find in Canadian cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 01:21 PM

Self check-outs are everywhere in Canada now. They were somewhat resisted (at least in Quebec) by union types because of their impact on jobs.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:32 PM

290 posts, read 176,810 times
Wait, I thought Canadian cities were like American ones, basically large sprawls full of isolated cookie cutter Suburbias completely car dependant.

Then you have your giant highway cutting the cities by half, even running through the city.

Do canadian suburbs have railway stations and busses connecting you there? In America that is not common, in America you can literally be in the middle of a giant city without any possibility to go anywhere unless you have a car.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:33 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,321,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
This is just a light rail. There were no enough money to build a metro line. A metro line was a better option for those places. Seriously, a light rail to go to the airport????
Whats wrong with light rail? The metro has been expanded also. You are misinformed.

It's not just Montreal, pretty much every major metro area is going through major transportation expansions right now.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 12-12-2019 at 02:00 PM..

Old 12-12-2019, 01:38 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,321,577 times
Quote:
That wasn't my experience with supermarkets in Montreal. None of them had self check-outs. There were also people who pack your bags like in developing countries is done. .
And your point is? First of all there is self check out in super markets here. Secondly it's better to have students packing your bags and ringing up your purchases. They might not be the highest paying jobs but they are jobs that people need.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:53 PM

14,213 posts, read 11,492,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backpaker View Post
Wait, I thought Canadian cities were like American ones, basically large sprawls full of isolated cookie cutter Suburbias completely car dependent.

Then you have your giant highway cutting the cities by half, even running through the city.

Do Canadian suburbs have railway stations and buses connecting you there? In America that is not common, in America you can literally be in the middle of a giant city without any possibility to go anywhere unless you have a car.
Which giant city? I can't think of a single giant US city that doesn't have public transportation. I even googled it; still coming up blank.

Old 12-12-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Which giant city? I can't think of a single giant US city that doesn't have public transportation. I even googled it; still coming up blank.
A lot of large even giant U.S. cities have transit systems that are totally subpar relative to their size, but you're right that the really big ones all have a system of sorts.

Though one thing that is sometimes surprising is that there are pretty large cities that don't have any form of transit - not even a local bus system. Often these are former small suburbs that grew demographically to become very big. For example, Arlington Texas has 400,000 people and has no rail or city bus service. There are other places like this across the U.S.

That's pretty unique in the world.

Old 12-12-2019, 02:52 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,442,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
In Sydney a big issue is getting to the train station as parking is difficult. The buses in the outer suburbs might only run half hourly to the station. The inner suburbs are much better in that respect.

Modern life does not allow a lot of interacting with people regardless of the location. You can go all day and not speak properly to a person. In Sydney it is absolutely not done to chat to people on public transport. The supermarket is half self checkout. Petrol is self serve. I find that eg when you do classes in Italian, as I have, you practise asking when does the train leave for Milan, waiter can I have a table near the window. The reality there and in Australia and I imagine in Canada, you look up the train time online, buy your ticket from a machine and seat yourself in the cafe.
So true, in Brisbane itself the buses seem to compete with the trains, they don't even stop at the stations, and commuter Car parks are next to non existent.

The new stations in the outer cities have Car parks at least.

Old 12-12-2019, 02:55 PM

567 posts, read 496,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Whats wrong with light rail? The metro has been expanded also. You are misinformed.

It's not just Montreal, pretty much every major metro area is going through major transportation expansions right now.
Light rail is not good for high patronage routes like an international airport and universities. By the way, that airport needs a lot of work too. And what recent metro line has Montreal opened recently?

Last edited by usuariodeldia; 12-12-2019 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 12-12-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Light rail is not good for high patronage routes like an international airport and universities. By the way, that airport needs a lot of work too. And what recent metro line has Montreal opened recently?
The orange line was extended to Laval a couple of years ago? Maybe that is what was meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World