Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 09:00 PM

570 posts, read 508,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
1. 2014 stats, most recent stats are 2018 so 4 years out to most recent available stats, not 20.
2. On a 5 -10yr avg it's pretty probable that NT registers a higher rate of homicides than all 30 odd European countries, if I'm wrong there are a handful outliers.
3. Boyacá has a similar homicide rate to NT.

Facts.
Nope. How can be 2.4 similar to 4.2? And Boyaca’s population is 1.280 million and NT’s population has only 250k

In regards to Europe, you are literally comparing the most disadvantaged zone of Australia and it’s not even dangerous. If you focusing on a particular region in Australia, you should also mention specific areas of Europe instead of comparing the overall of Europe with a zone that only has 250k. Why don’t you compare NT to the northern suburbs of Paris like La Courneuve or Saint Denis. No one would go there unless one has a reason to.

Some small parts of every big cities like London or Budapest are always dangerous, but it is not the whole place at all.

Eastern Ukrainian cities, because there's an actual war going on there.

And statistically by number of homicides per 100 000 inhabitants - Tallinn (5,5/100 000), Glasgow (5,1/100 000) and Vilnius (4,7/100 000). Way higher than NT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 04:56 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
Nearly everywhere, the safest place is where the sun is shining. Get out of the habit of wandering around outdoors after dark, and you'll be fine, even in San Pedro Sula. And choose your friends are. Murderers kill people they know, not strangers.

Old 09-09-2020, 11:30 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
It's really difficult to get a comprehensive overview of Australia's recent crime stats, they're just not so recent or readily available as stats from other countries. They also tend to be very compartmentalised stored in different treasury documents of the different states and some are also grouped together differently.

In any case after some research its more than clear that the NT is the most crime prone state with Darwin topping the list in Numbeo's 2019 crime ranking for Australia, followed by Cairns. Melbourne and Gold Coast also saw a rise in crime whilst Sydney saw a drop in crime and was named 10th safest large city in the world by the Economist's 2019 Safe Cities index.

However, despite Australia being undoubtedly safe all over, Canberra was ranked the safest city in Australia by Numbeo and registers crime well below the National Average.

Canberra

Old 09-09-2020, 03:23 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,518,441 times
Quote:
It's really difficult to get a comprehensive overview of Australia's recent crime stats, they're just not so recent or readily available as stats from other countries. They also tend to be very compartmentalised stored in different treasury documents of the different states and some are also grouped together differently.

In any case after some research its more than clear that the NT is the most crime prone state with Darwin topping the list in Numbeo's 2019 crime ranking for Australia, followed by Cairns. Melbourne and Gold Coast also saw a rise in crime whilst Sydney saw a drop in crime and was named 10th safest large city in the world by the Economist's 2019 Safe Cities index.

However, despite Australia being undoubtedly safe all over, Canberra was ranked the safest city in Australia by Numbeo and registers crime well below the National Average.

Canberra
Well as we look like defederating at the moment, the crime stats will remain in the documents of the new Republics of Queensland and Western Australia, carefully guarded so that nothing may emerge to stop the image of the particular state being superior in every way.

In truth, the north shore of Sydney is extremely safe. But I guess it depends what is included. My neighbour had a noisy party of five people just after our lockdown was lifted. Apparently another neighbour and the police were up in the street at 3am trying to locate the source of the noise, but it stopped when I knocked on their door and told them to turn down the music. Now that would count as a police crime incident but is hardly a symptom of an unsafe area. The defendants left a huge box of chocolates on my doorstep with a written apology. So I feel quite safe here, even though it is not the north shore.

Old 09-09-2020, 03:59 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
In truth, the north shore of Sydney is extremely safe. But I guess it depends what is included. My neighbour had a noisy party of five people just after our lockdown was lifted. Apparently another neighbour and the police were up in the street at 3am trying to locate the source of the noise, but it stopped when I knocked on their door and told them to turn down the music. Now that would count as a police crime incident but is hardly a symptom of an unsafe area. The defendants left a huge box of chocolates on my doorstep with a written apology. So I feel quite safe here, even though it is not the north shore.
That last detail is really sweet.

Yeah I'm looking at assault crime stats minimally and violent crime stats when listing my findings. I also found out that Perth had a recent "meth epidemic" (what the sensacionolist press says I know) and experienced a trippling in assaults so that brings Western Australia's stats down quite a bit. Never-the-less Perth still is incredibly safe it's just that Sydney performed best in safety among the big cities for 2018 (latest stats available) and Canberra safest overall.

Old 09-09-2020, 05:08 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,518,441 times
Quote:

Canberra
Well as we look like defederating at the moment, the crime stats will remain in the documents of the new Republics of Queensland and Western Australia, carefully guarded so that nothing may emerge to stop the image of the particular state being superior in every way.

Old 09-09-2020, 06:03 PM

6,038 posts, read 5,950,347 times
Quote:
That last detail is really sweet.

Yeah I'm looking at assault crime stats minimally and violent crime stats when listing my findings. I also found out that Perth had a recent "meth epidemic" (what the sensacionolist press says I know) and experienced a trippling in assaults so that brings Western Australia's stats down quite a bit. Never-the-less Perth still is incredibly safe it's just that Sydney performed best in safety among the big cities for 2018 (latest stats available) and Canberra safest overall.
Actually crime is a major issue in Perth at the moment. There has been a spate of attacks, sometimes resulting in death on aged folk .
The local West Australian newspaper has been running with the story of out of control crime for some months now.
Some 760, from recall, aged folk attacked in past year in Perth and Country WA.

Perth City, is not incredibly safe at all. A lot of crime revolves around the use and selling of meth ice. Perth had the highest incidents around that serious issue, but I believe has been replaced by Adelaide, with Darwin bad, but a problem all over Australia.

The return to making The Centre safe has become a Mayoral issue in the forth coming election.

Old 09-09-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post

It would surely, simply be a call out and not a crime incident. In certain areas though, not necessary bad, it may more likely result in a mouth of abuse, threats of violence or a brick through the window.
Then it would indeed rate in crime figures.

I'd say in Perth, away from the well heeled Western Suburbs, (but not entirely) few places in Perth would be regarded as 'extremely' safe.

Old 09-09-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Canberra
Australia is not 'undoubtedly safe all over'. Darwin experiences major property crime issues, NT has the highest murder rate in Australia and a lot of physical assaults.

In fact physical assaults rate high in Australia per thousand population. Even a city like Perth, people often voice fear of going out at night(especially after 9 PM)

Australia has among the highest abuse of meth ice in the world, which too often up's the level of violence and associated issues.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:47 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,013,764 times
Quote:
How are the Dakotas? This is the next safest region of the US nearly on par with stats from New England.
You are being misled by a lack of understanding of FBI crime statistics.

In 2018 the state government of South Dakota reported twelve cases of murder or non-negligent homicide in the parts of the state over which it has criminal jurisdiction and that is what the FBI's Uniform Crime Report for that state shows as the total, for an impressively low homicide rate of 1.4 per 100,000. Of these twelve victims, 2 were black, two Native American, and the rest white or some other race.

It is not often taken into account, however, that state homicide rates do not include deaths of indigenous persons on reservations as these come under Federal jurisdiction--the South Dakota report at the attached link explains this. It states that in 2018 there were eight such homicides of indigenous persons on reservations in the state. If included in the state totals this would raise the state homicide rate substantially.

The Native American population of South Dakota was last estimated by the Census as about 72,000. By no means all these live on reservations but if that were the case the murder rate for reservations in South Dakota would be above 11/100,000. The situation would be similar on probably almost every Indian reservation in the United States.

Almost any state could post impressively low murder rates if it were allowed to carve out the very small populations that commit 40% of its murders.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...tables/table-5

https://atg.sd.gov/docs/SAC2018CSD%2...nd%20white.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World