Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 08:49 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times

Advertisements

I feel the same way about filthy cockroaches. But hey, I have to live with that fear and disgust.

At least centipedes don't crawl in your bed or your kitchen, and spread diseases. They're pretty much found outside in a garden setting. So live in a tall apartment in an urban area, and you might not see them much? I am in Sydney Australia (the country with the scariest animals) and I think I've only seen a centipede like once or twice in my life, and I'm always in my garden. So try coming down here?

A really odd question and a strange phobia. I think you should see a psychologist (and I don't mean this as an insult). A centipede shouldn't have you escaping your own city, let alone country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 04:23 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Tokyo is definitely not for the OP. I've seen some nasty giant centipedes there.

Old 09-29-2020, 04:30 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
The UK being an island, and having a temperate oceanic climate does not tend to have large insects or many poisonous species.

The only venomous snake is the tiny adder, and that's fairly rare, whilst centipedes tend to be fairly small, the brown stone centipede being the most common.

Similarly there are no wild bears, wolves or big cats in the UK, and the same is true of man eating sharks, and there are no crocodiles, alligators or other such animals.

Even internationally common insects such as flies and spiders aren't that big in the UK.

The same is true in relation to Ireland.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-29-2020 at 04:38 AM..

Old 09-30-2020, 05:34 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The UK being an island, and having a temperate oceanic climate does not tend to have large insects or many poisonous species.

The only venomous snake is the tiny adder, and that's fairly rare, whilst centipedes tend to be fairly small, the brown stone centipede being the most common.

Similarly there are no wild bears, wolves or big cats in the UK, and the same is true of man eating sharks, and there are no crocodiles, alligators or other such animals.

Even internationally common insects such as flies and spiders aren't that big in the UK.

The same is true in relation to Ireland.
There are no snakes at all in Ireland and only 3 snake species in the UK, of which only the adder is venomous, a guy I work with was hospitalised by a spider bite and a friend's dog was killed by an adder but there's nothing much in the UK that can kill you for sure :-). I used to surf the Cornish coast and sharks weren't a worry, apparently the short finned mako shark, porbeagle shark and blue sharks are the biggest 'bitey' sharks, but the biggest of all sharks found in UK waters are the basking sharks, they're massive but luckily only eat plankton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World