Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 06:53 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,200,674 times

Advertisements

Some of the remote places I've been to:

Easter Island (Rapa Nui)
Midway Atoll
South Georgia in the South Atlantic
Antarctica (Palmer Station and McMurdo Station, never made it to the South Pole, yet!)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 06:59 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,425,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

Easter Island (Rapa Nui)
Midway Atoll
Antarctica (Palmer Station and McMurdo Station, never made it to the South Pole, yet!)
Antarctica seals the deal. I don't think you can really get more remote than that, even if you account for all the islands in the Pacific.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:13 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,470,990 times
Quote:

Easter Island (Rapa Nui)
Midway Atoll
We have a winner!

Old 09-18-2020, 09:13 PM

1,756 posts, read 2,503,375 times
Quote:

Easter Island (Rapa Nui)
Midway Atoll
The least accessible geographic place which I visited (and, perhaps, one of the most amazing) was the lake Nahuel Huapi, in southern Argentina near the border of Chile. And also I visited years ago the Alto Ribeira State Park, a complex of caves in the midway between São Paulo and Curitiba, which are not that remote but, indeed, reasonably difficult to reach.

However, after reading what you said, I must change all of my concepts of remoteness.

Old 09-18-2020, 09:51 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,298,415 times
Just went to Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Drove on a main state route with one stop sign or traffic signal for a 122 miles stretch. Only three fast food restaurants and no grocery stores along that section.

Old 09-19-2020, 12:15 AM

216 posts, read 146,703 times
Congrats cjseliga!

Some places on my remote list:

Rapa Nui (Easter Island)

Teller, Alaska
Príncipe Island (São Tomé and Príncipe)
Kulusuk, Greenland
Jarbidge, Nevada (claims to be the most isolated town in the lower 48 states)

Old 09-21-2020, 05:02 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,741,864 times
As sportfishing boats are being made to hold more and more fuel without needing extra travel tanks on deck, more crews are taking the boats to Bermuda. Boats could leave or arrive (depending on where they were or are going to be docked) from anywhere from the northern Bahamas and FL to NC, VA and MD. Something tells me it is about a 600 mile crossing, though I've never been. That is about the same from Aruba or Jamaica to Panama, which is quite common.

Old 09-21-2020, 05:05 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,741,864 times
Several places I have actually spent time in such as the extreme southern (and uninhabited) Bahamas, the San Blas Islands in Panama, Cebako Bay in Panama, Pinas Bay in Panama just above the Colombian border.

Not to mention many crossings of the Caribbean and the whole distance from thePanama to Cabo San Lucas, Mex.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:30 AM

5,751 posts, read 3,491,962 times
For populated places not insular, maybe San Pedro de Atacama, Chile' 100 km from nearest town, but now the road has been linked to Argentina the other way'

Also Chibougamau, Quebec, the only town along a 350-km road

For remote and unpopulated, try the midpoint of the interstate betweem Grand Junction Colorado and Green River Utah.

Old 09-25-2020, 01:14 AM

627 posts, read 313,791 times
Best I've done is while working at Thule AB in Northern Greenland I was able to take a daytrip up to the CFS Alert at the northern tip of Ellsemere Island, Canada. It's the northernmost permanently-inhabited place on the planet, about 500 miles from the North Pole. I'd love to go to McMurdo like cjseliga did and then have been super-close to both poles (I know there are locales that are closer when it comes to the South Pole though, like the station actually located at the South Pole) but when I saw a job opportunity pop up for McMurdo I knew I wouldn't be able to pass the medical and dental clearances, so it wasn't in the cards for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World