Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 08:07 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Two attempted muggings in the Philippines, once in Manila proper and once at a beach a few hours south by bus from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 09:05 AM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
I have never been mugged, but this happened this past Saturday at slight past 12pm in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and was caught by two security cameras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi5Z4Ucm3WQ

Then it was known that the victim was the daughter of Mariasela, a well known TV personality and she's the woman between her SUV and the green bush on the sidewalk. The mugger pointed a gun at both of them, shot in the air to make the women know he was serious, and took the purse of the daughter (didn't take anything from Mariasela, probably because she was screaming who she was in order to make herself the focus of the mugger than her daughter).

The craziest part happened regarding that truck that gets close. It had three occupants and the driver was going to runover the thief, but he pointed at the truck and fired one time with his gun. At that moment the driver decided to let the thief get on his motorcycle and escape. It was later discovered that the bullet made a hole on the passenger door and a metal inside the door prevented the bullet from penetrating in a straight line, hitting one of the passengers and probably the second one too. Instead, the bullet hit the metal and shifted its course hitting the windshield and cracking it. They were literally saved by a metal.

This is another angle of the Mariasela mugging. At the end another security camera caught the same thief mugging the wife and daughter of Tuto Guerrero in another part of Santo Domingo, director of Dominican TV show "Dominican Got Talent." This was only one hour apart from the Marisela mugging by the same thief. Interesting that both were caught on tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnJhjNObZKI

The thief has been caught already by the police.

Last edited by AntonioR; 09-16-2020 at 09:24 AM..

Old 09-16-2020, 09:35 AM

27,548 posts, read 28,630,498 times
I am usually pretty attentive to my surroundings when I travel. However, I did get my wallet snatched from my pocket in a metro station in Paris.

They said that the gypsies do this kind of thing all the time.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:24 AM

569 posts, read 507,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I have never been mugged, but this happened this past Saturday at slight past 12pm in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and was caught by two security cameras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi5Z4Ucm3WQ

Then it was known that the victim was the daughter of Mariasela, a well known TV personality and she's the woman between her SUV and the green bush on the sidewalk. The mugger pointed a gun at both of them, shot in the air to make the women know he was serious, and took the purse of the daughter (didn't take anything from Mariasela, probably because she was screaming who she was in order to make herself the focus of the mugger than her daughter).

The craziest part happened regarding that truck that gets close. It had three occupants and the driver was going to runover the thief, but he pointed at the truck and fired one time with his gun. At that moment the driver decided to let the thief get on his motorcycle and escape. It was later discovered that the bullet made a hole on the passenger door and a metal inside the door prevented the bullet from penetrating in a straight line, hitting one of the passengers and probably the second one too. Instead, the bullet hit the metal and shifted its course hitting the windshield and cracking it. They were literally saved by a metal.

This is another angle of the Mariasela mugging. At the end another security camera caught the same thief mugging the wife and daughter of Tuto Guerrero in another part of Santo Domingo, director of Dominican TV show "Dominican Got Talent." This was only one hour apart from the Marisela mugging by the same thief. Interesting that both were caught on tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnJhjNObZKI

The thief has been caught already by the police.
Wow! Thanks for sharing this. I find crazy that the women confronted the thief, that’s stupid! They are wealthy, they can easily replace all their belongings. I would never try to fight with anyone who has a gun or a big knife. So lucky that the people inside the car didn’t get injured, but it could have ended up different.

Old 09-16-2020, 05:05 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
I also just remembered that my mum got mugged in Madrid and also the mother of my friend had her hand luggage stolen in Madrid airport. She got preocupied for a minute and it was gone.

Upon speaking to mum also turns out that nan & my auntie got mugged in Madrid too. This must've been 25 years ago. In her over 70 years of living she never got mugged in Colombia to then be mugged in Madrid. Pick-pocketing seems to be a major thing there too.

Old 09-16-2020, 05:49 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,015,953 times
No. And according to this thread you're only safe in North America or Eastern Europe but not elsewhere...

Old 09-16-2020, 06:03 PM

6,036 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Where in Penang and what happened? I was there in March and felt very safe. Found some delicious food over there too.
Don't get me wrong, Penang is what I'd call very safe. It's just I've spent a lot of time in Malaysia over the decades, so law of averages I suppose.

Penang has always had a drug element. Much more 'underground' than times past. Meth Ice (Yabba) common which obviously makes for a more volatile user than in days past when it was more a centre for opium or H.

No big deal. A street deviant attempted to relief me of my property in lower Chulia Street (Little India)
unsuccessfully ( grabbed shoulder bag) and without a weapon. He 'legged it', when offered resistance and didn't even bother to report it.

Old 09-17-2020, 11:08 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
i was waiting for a ferry in African and set my bag down, and a thief picked it up and ran with it. Bystanders gave chase, he dropped it, and my bag was brought back.

In South America, a bag taken from under my seat.

In India, a pickpocket got onto my wife's belllypack.

All our own fault, no major losses.

As for mugging. I've never been touched.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:41 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
I’m surprised to see Malaysia again. I accidentally dropped my wallet at the huge checkpoint in Johor Bahru to get to Singapore and had this lady running after me to give it back to me. It was very cute and she saved a huge drama.
I found KL to be quite safe for the most part. Didn’t run into any trouble myself, though I remember reading about a few incidents when I was there, including a shooting at a nightclub.

Old 09-18-2020, 03:11 AM

6,036 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I found KL to be quite safe for the most part. Didn’t run into any trouble myself, though I remember reading about a few incidents when I was there, including a shooting at a nightclub.
I was surprised to read in a rating somewhere it wasn't rated high at all for safety. Totally dispute that as have walked around that city many times late at night.

I can think of a few more South East Asian cities where a degree of care that need to be taken. (although a relative safe region compared to others)

KL has, as has Penang over the years some trouble with gangs. Often they had a headline in 'The Straights Times' along the lines of "Cops Kill Two Gangsters" or words to that effect. All underworld stuff, nothing to concern tourists in the least.

Worse would most likely be some druggie needing money attempting to relieve a tourist of some.
A favourite was lifting bags through 'open windows' with a pole at night, when people asleep.
I have heard of the odd knife being pulled incident. But rarely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World