Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 06:40 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
My family loves to go to New York City. I have been taking my children there since they were 4 months old. We hang out in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens. Daytime or nighttime. It is loads of fun.

The only thing dangerous about visiting New York City is that it can quickly drain your bank account if you're not careful.
Right, but what is his reference point and what is yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 05:01 PM

570 posts, read 509,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
My family loves to go to New York City. I have been taking my children there since they were 4 months old. We hang out in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens. Daytime or nighttime. It is loads of fun.

The only thing dangerous about visiting New York City is that it can quickly drain your bank account if you're not careful.
Last statistics of the crime situation in NYC say something different
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www....outputType=amp

Old 11-25-2020, 05:47 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,730,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

In short, the superlative quality of late night options in New York City was introduced over 100 years ago, and peaked around 40 years ago. To hold it to the same standard today makes no sense. It is like calling Vienna the music capital of the world. True at one time, and still historically notable, but not today.
Excellent summary. Posts like this give me faith in the intellectual level and articulation of members of this forum.

On a side-note if you're looking for a 24hour city I think you'd be hard pushed to find somewhere better than Tel Aviv. Have yet to make it to Bangkok though.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:06 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Last statistics of the crime situation in NYC say something different
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www....outputType=amp
Like another poster above, I've been going to NYC with my kids since they were little.

There are some worrisome trends appearing in most major American cities in 2020, including NYC.

Let's hope things improve after this COVID thing clears up.

Old 11-25-2020, 11:40 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,500,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Yeah it’s funny that he/she said that about Bangkok because I actually felt much safer in Bangkok than in NYC. And I’m talking about my trips in NYC in 2018 and Bangkok in 2019
That’s because you come from a country that is safer than the US, at least statistically speaking. So when you travel, you naturally compare places to Australia and Spain and see how well they fare relative to those.
To an American, a place like NYC would be considered a safe city. They’re using entirely different metrics than you are, like you mentioned guns in another post.

Old 11-26-2020, 10:44 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That’s because you come from a country that is safer than the US, at least statistically speaking.

To an American, a place like NYC would be considered a safe city. They’re using entirely different metrics than you are, like you mentioned guns in another post.
If you are going to reckon your level of safety based on statistics, it would also be useful to measure the statistical likelihood of your demographic becoming a victim of crime in an American city. As a law abiding person who does not embroil themselves in the gang politics of certain circumscribed neighborhoods, or wander around in such areas, your level of safety, statistically speaking, closely approaches if not matches that of most Western cities.

The violent crime dynamic in America is very much tied to social and geographic factors that the average American, much less tourists, would never encounter. The rare exceptions to this get heavily covered in the press, of course, further muddying perceptions of the daily reality.

There are some serious social ills in the US, but to assume, based on some statistical platitudes, that these ills are evenly distributed across a given city, much less the entire country, is naive.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:12 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,257,106 times
Manhattan has lost over 700,000 people since 1910 when that label was affixed. Those people have also become older and wealthier, as others have noted.

New York in 1980 was in a unique place. Due to crime and suburbanization, some of the prime real estate in the world suddenly became undervalued. New York today is riddled with stories of such and such buying an entire building in 1983 for what is now pennies on the dollar.

The only other comparable city I can think of that had so much to offer and was so undervalued is Berlin post-1989.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:25 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,411,716 times
I would have liked to see time square in the 80s. When I visited time square it felt just like any other tourist spot in North America.

Old 11-29-2020, 03:59 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,500,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If you are going to reckon your level of safety based on statistics, it would also be useful to measure the statistical likelihood of your demographic becoming a victim of crime in an American city. As a law abiding person who does not embroil themselves in the gang politics of certain circumscribed neighborhoods, or wander around in such areas, your level of safety, statistically speaking, closely approaches if not matches that of most Western cities.

The violent crime dynamic in America is very much tied to social and geographic factors that the average American, much less tourists, would never encounter. The rare exceptions to this get heavily covered in the press, of course, further muddying perceptions of the daily reality.

There are some serious social ills in the US, but to assume, based on some statistical platitudes, that these ills are evenly distributed across a given city, much less the entire country, is naive.
I don’t disagree. General takes on stats only show a partial picture of what goes around. However, it’s also the metric most often used by foreigners when assessing the safety of a location and yes media sensationalism does play an important role in that.

Basically, absolute numbers rule the game. Travelers will also compare places to what they are familiar with, so a person visiting from a country with little crime will feel less at ease, then someone from a place that is more crime ridden.
I’ve come across a number of Aussies, Canadians, various Europeans and even Japanese tourists, while traveling throughout Southeast Asia who thought that the US was a fairly dangerous place. At the same time, you won’t find many Mexicans or Brazilians with those views.

Last edited by Milky Way Resident; 11-29-2020 at 04:08 PM..

Old 07-09-2021, 09:17 PM

323 posts, read 261,180 times
I agree with the OP. New York is not "the city that never sleeps," and it's certainly not the most 24/hr city in the world by a longshot.

It's still a great town though, but it's leaps and bounds behind many other cities in the 24 hr department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World