Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 01:48 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Exactly, I have encountered British people who CANNOT understand why someone might find London lame!!

It's usually the same british who think traveling means hoping on a ghetto Ryanair flight to Ibiza for the summer and that is just about the only traveling they do.

Talk to well travelled Britons and they will be the first ones to highlight to you the fact London is rubbish!
The British often take Gap Year and travel across the world, they are among the most travelled people in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Weekly

British children of today are six times more well-travelled than their grandparents.

New research reveals that 70% have travelled internationally by the age of five compared to just 12% of baby boomers by the same age.

A quarter of 18- to 29-year-olds went on their first international holiday by the time they were just two years old, but 43% of baby boomers had not travelled internationally by the age of 18, according to a poll of 2,000 people by OTA eDreams.co.uk.

By the age of 12, 83% of millennials had visited an international destination compared to just 30% of baby boomers.

And by the time the average Millennial turned 18 they had been on 20 holidays, both within their own country and abroad – twice as many as baby boomers who had only been on 11.

Almost a quarter (24%) of Britons frequently travel to long-haul destinations compared to 17% across Europe.

Overall, 43% travel more today than they did 10 years ago.

British children ‘six times more well-travelled than their grandparents’ - Travel Weekly
As for visiting Europe, the Eurostar train is ideal for city breaks.

City Breaks in Europe - Eurostar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5gTpvLaSEI

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-18-2021 at 02:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 02:08 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwoodfl View Post
Stop it with the hyperbole. I notice that there's been a lot of anti-New York threads recently. Hmm...wonder why? They seem to come from Aussies and Canadians who like to pretend that "pound for pound [their] cities are better than America's", and they get cripplingly furious when you point out how the US has way more global cities than they do.
Show one such post from an Aussie.

Old 07-18-2021, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
New York City has been very safe at any time in the last 20 years or so. It doesn’t get any better than this for a major American city.

I’d say that someone would have to be kind of paranoid to feel unsafe in New York City.
I absolutely agree with the bold at the time you wrote it.

But is this currently the case? In normal times I spend extended periods, multiple times per year in the UWS. My friends still there tell me it got pretty bad with the homeless taking over parts of the neighbourhood and it is yet to go back to normal. I sure hope it does!

Old 07-18-2021, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Show one such post from an Aussie.

They can's Aussiehoff - because he or she is just a nasty troll with multiple accounts.

Australian cities are among the best in the world.

I suspect this is a well known troll called Irene who likes to come here and spout nonsense about London and other cities.

Old 07-18-2021, 03:55 AM

323 posts, read 260,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
London has plenty of 24/7 areas such as Soho, whilst the Southbank, Camden, Covent Garden, Leicester Square, Piccadilly Circus, indeed most of the West End. Whilst areas such as Hoxton and Shoreditch have a more hipster vibe.

The South Bank is officially the third coolest street in the world - Time Out (2021)

The Coolest Neighbourhoods in London - Culture Trip

These Are London’s Very Best Neighbourhoods, According To You - Secret London

xford Circus to be turned into pedestrian piazzas this year - The Guardian (2021)

London's Southbank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__BrqQISjVE

London's Soho during Lock down -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHJLVq210nU

London's Borough Market area during Lock down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JulMukjTre4

Man these videos make me miss London! Can't wait to return when all is normal; love that city!!

Old 07-18-2021, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

They can's Aussiehoff - because he or she is just a nasty troll with multiple accounts.

Australian cities are among the best in the world.

I suspect this is a well known troll called Irene who likes to come here and spout nonsense about London and other cities.
Yeah I know. I miss Irene's anti Aussie posts in particular.

Old 07-18-2021, 04:13 AM

323 posts, read 260,427 times
"New proposal would bring 24-hour nightlife districts to New York City."

https://nypost.com/2021/07/03/new-pr...new-york-city/

"The City That Never Sleeps could soon live up to its nickname.

New York’s nightlife czar is pushing to create 24-hour “entertainment districts,” where it would be OK for booze to flow, bass to thump and bodies to sway around the clock.
We have to compete with Vegas and we have to compete with Miami and right now we’re not. Those cities are just more fun,” said Devlin, who launched “Speakeasy,” a booze-soaked burlesque performance, at Bond 45 in Times Square Friday. “We’d love to be able to perform all the time.”

This would be a step in the right direction for the city, and I hope it eventually passes. Good luck New York!

Old 07-18-2021, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBetrus View Post

New York’s nightlife czar is pushing to create 24-hour “entertainment districts,” where it would be OK for booze to flow, bass to thump and bodies to sway around the clock.
We have to compete with Vegas and we have to compete with Miami and right now we’re not. Those cities are just more fun,” said Devlin, who launched “Speakeasy,” a booze-soaked burlesque performance, at Bond 45 in Times Square Friday. “We’d love to be able to perform all the time.”

This would be a step in the right direction for the city, and I hope it eventually passes. Good luck New York!

Great city, and some good news.

I think a number of cities have nightlife Czars, including both New York and London.

Would rep you but it won't let me.

Old 07-18-2021, 02:32 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:

Hopefully, this happens! City is sleep so early now, its getting annoying lol. I could use a few new nightlife districts now that the train is down to $7 from here.

Old 07-19-2021, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Man these videos make me miss London! Can't wait to return when all is normal; love that city!!

Best London Nightlife - Visit London

BEST ROOFTOP BARS IN LONDON - Design My Night

London Nightlife - Time Out

London Beats Dublin, Amsterdam and Prague To The Title Of Europe’s ‘Wildest Party City’ - Secret London (2021)

The Night Tube - Visit London

Quote:
Originally Posted by London First

London’s night-time economy contributes £17.7bn to £26.3bn in Gross Value Added (GVA) to the UK economy in 2014, and supports 723,000 jobs – one in eight in London

That figure is likely to grow by a further £1.63 billion a year by 2026, and by £2 billion a year by the end of that decade as another 66,000 jobs are added.

The 24-hour Economy - London First

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-19-2021 at 03:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World