Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 09:38 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Well I have noticed the highest percentage of areas that voted against same sex marriage were not in rural Queensland which is considered very conservative, but in the highly ethnic diverse neighbourhoods of Sydney: https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/why-w...16-gzmmjr.html Many of the people from these ethnic and religious communities have left their homelands in Middle East, South Asia and elsewhere arriving in Australia to raise their children in peace and prosperity. To find themselves in a society that goes directly against the teachings of their religion is a major concern. As one of the families I talked to puts it: "We recently left Afghanistan to settle in Australia for the sake of our children, for a better and safe life. Now we are going to struggle raising our children in a society that goes directly against the basic teachings of our religion".

Yes you have many, many immigrants living in a society that goes directly against the basic teachings of the religion. That not includes Muslims, but Christians, Sikhs and Hindus. Yes Scott Morrison the PM has Christian beliefs and even though same sex marriage is not an issue, Scott Morrision has so far resisted banning gay conversion, and if the Labor won, then gay conversion therapies will be banned. New Zealand will soon ban it as the reelected Labor government will ban it in New Zealand.

Sure most will welcome a ban on gay conversion, yet for people with strong beliefs they will believe it goes against their religion.
I think a lot of people are kidding themselves if they think the tension (highlighted) you are talking about does not really exist. It's there and is growing in most places in the western world that have increasingly diverse populations.

I think the real crux of the matter is what is the appropriate balance, and if something has to give, on what aspect will the onus be to "give".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 03:24 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think a lot of people are kidding themselves if they think the tension (highlighted) you are talking about does not really exist. It's there and is growing in most places in the western world that have increasingly diverse populations.

I think the real crux of the matter is what is the appropriate balance, and if something has to give, on what aspect will the onus be to "give".
You are right and all cities around the world is becoming more diverse, and among those that are diverse include people that have different morals than a majority of the population. Plus the cities are generally the most diverse areas of the country.

With the Netherlands, it was the first country to legalise gay marriage and its one of the safest countries to live as a gay person to live, yet despite all the tolerance the Netherlands portrays, there was a survey where at least 32% of people in the Netherlands considered two men kissing in public offensive. https://www.insider.com/gay-couple-i...m-slurs-2020-4

Old 10-22-2020, 03:25 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

It’s certainly there, and to be expected in any multicultural city. Unfortunately, there’s no easy answer here. The best we can hope is that people embrace their new homeland and try to integrate as much as possible, but that’s difficult in some cases where you have purely economic migrants, who don’t really care about the country they are moving to. Second generation kids do tend to integrate better, but it depends on whether there is pushback from the family, and t what extent those kids embrace those lifestyles.

Old 10-22-2020, 04:00 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Well I have noticed the highest percentage of areas that voted against same sex marriage were not in rural Queensland which is considered very conservative, but in the highly ethnic diverse neighbourhoods of Sydney: https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/why-w...16-gzmmjr.html Many of the people from these ethnic and religious communities have left their homelands in Middle East, South Asia and elsewhere arriving in Australia to raise their children in peace and prosperity. To find themselves in a society that goes directly against the teachings of their religion is a major concern. As one of the families I talked to puts it: "We recently left Afghanistan to settle in Australia for the sake of our children, for a better and safe life. Now we are going to struggle raising our children in a society that goes directly against the basic teachings of our religion".

Yes you have many, many immigrants living in a society that goes directly against the basic teachings of the religion. That not includes Muslims, but Christians, Sikhs and Hindus. Yes Scott Morrison the PM has Christian beliefs and even though same sex marriage is not an issue, Scott Morrision has so far resisted banning gay conversion, and if the Labor won, then gay conversion therapies will be banned. New Zealand will soon ban it as the reelected Labor government will ban it in New Zealand.

Sure most will welcome a ban on gay conversion, yet for people with strong beliefs they will believe it goes against their religion.
The legality of gay conversion therapy is a state issue in Australia, funny enough, so far Queensland is the only state where it has been made illegal.

Old 10-22-2020, 06:30 PM

76 posts, read 38,873 times
Liberal and opened minded are not the same.. just look at Portland OR and how open minded their community is right now.

Old 10-22-2020, 06:38 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
The legality of gay conversion therapy is a state issue in Australia, funny enough, so far Queensland is the only state where it has been made illegal.
Yet the federal government of Labor has made it a national policy to making gay conversion therapy illegal. Of course people especially ethnic diverse conservative communities will be against them, yet they mostly vote for Labor and leftist parties, due to the stigma they get from right wing parties. It the same way socially conservative ethnic communities in the USA mostly vote Democrat.

The concept of immigration in Europe is they are is not as accepting to immigrants as they are not melting pot societies compared to Canada, USA and Australia. Just because a country or region is shown to be tolerant and open minded, may not necessary totally true.

In 2016, Pew Research found that 59 percent of Europeans thought that immigrants imposed a burden on their countries. In addition, less than a third believe immigration has improved their countries, with 63 percent of Greeks and 53 percent of Italians, respectively, stating that immigrants have made things worse in their economically challenged countries. As the British political thinker Kenan Malik acknowledged in a 2015 Foreign Affairs essay, “multiculturalism” has devolved from “an answer to Europe’s social problems” to a fraught reality of “fragmented societies, alienated minorities, and resentful citizenries.”https://www.city-journal.org/europe-multiculturalism

Old 10-23-2020, 02:45 AM

525 posts, read 454,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It's not like Vancouverites are running down the street naked while stoned etc, but Vancouver fits your criteria.

Weed has been ubiquitous even before it became legal, which it is now across Canada. Tick

Largest nude beach in North America. Tick

Gays accepted throughout the city. The city even held the Gay Games in the early 90's with all levels of government support. Equal marriage since 2005. Tick.

Overall Vancouver has a laid back, live and let live attitude.
Agreed! The people here tend to be very accepting of people from all sorts of racial, cultural, and religious backgrounds, abilities, sexualities, gender identities, etc. Honestly I’m more likely to be mocked for being an American than for my ethnicity or religion.

Old 10-23-2020, 03:45 AM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times
Quote:
You are right and all cities around the world is becoming more diverse, and among those that are diverse include people that have different morals than a majority of the population. Plus the cities are generally the most diverse areas of the country.

With the Netherlands, it was the first country to legalise gay marriage and its one of the safest countries to live as a gay person to live, yet despite all the tolerance the Netherlands portrays, there was a survey where at least 32% of people in the Netherlands considered two men kissing in public offensive. https://www.insider.com/gay-couple-i...m-slurs-2020-4
I am sure a survey would get the same results here but I should point out that in Sydney, many people would say that any couples kissing in public is somewhat offensive. Open displays of affection are not as common here as I have seen overseas. Places like airports are fine, but otherwise people are likely to be told to go find a bedroom.

Then you have the contradiction, in a way, that at my local beach you see many overweight men happily wearing speedos without receiving a second glance, but topless women are rare.

Religious toleration depends on the individual. DD had spent about six months with her now husband before I thought to enquire what his religion was, if any. But my bestie is a Christian and it would have been one of the first enquires made about any dates of her kids.

Old 10-23-2020, 06:52 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
I am sure a survey would get the same results here but I should point out that in Sydney, many people would say that any couples kissing in public is somewhat offensive. Open displays of affection are not as common here as I have seen overseas. Places like airports are fine, but otherwise people are likely to be told to go find a bedroom.
Strangers will actually tell couples kissing in public to get a room? Regularly? Systematically?

Old 10-23-2020, 12:09 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Agreed! The people here tend to be very accepting of people from all sorts of racial, cultural, and religious backgrounds, abilities, sexualities, gender identities, etc. Honestly I’m more likely to be mocked for being an American than for my ethnicity or religion.
Why those...let me at 'em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World