U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 07:44 PM

2,204 posts, read 947,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I get what you're saying but if you lived through the 90's & early 2000's not knowing who Eternal, East 17, Miss Dynamite, Stereophonics, Supergrass, Artful Dodger, Blur, Gabrielle, Craig David, the Prodigy, Lighthouse family or Skunk Anansie were, or hearing their songs, then you didn't experience 90's Britain.

It would be the equivalent of the UK not knowing about Alanis Morisette, Green Day, Puff Daddy, Blink 182, N-Sync, Run DMC, Moby or LeAnn Rimes.
I’m sorry we didn’t consume British music as well as y’all did American music (though to be fair the biggest selling song in America since White Christmas was released by an English guy in the 90s). But that’s the way our relationship has been for the past century or so. The British Invasion was an outlier, not the norm. We consume British culture, but usually in bite-sized portions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 08:29 PM

3,808 posts, read 2,287,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
The British Invasion was an outlier, not the norm. We consume British culture, but usually in bite-sized portions.
I think this is the crux of it. From this thread I realised

Irish artists become big in Britain
Aussie/Kiwi artists become big in Britain
Jamaican artists become big in Britain
Sweedish artists become big in Britain
African artists become big in Britain
And Canadian artists become big in the US and Britain

The UK is a launchpad for many singers / musicians/ song writers. I remember when the Motown label said if you make it big in Britain you get played everywhere.

For some reason a "British Invasion" didn't happen in the 90's or 00's as it did in the decade post and decades prior but I think the bitesize culture of US consumerism is a good explanation whereas in the UK it's a more "feed me all the culture you want" kind of mentality. I mean even Jimi Hendrix had to make it big in the UK first before being accepted by his home US market. Artists like Bob Marley, Abba & Björk found international acclaim via the UK market.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:03 PM

90's/noughties Britain also excelled in well done sampling, production and covers.

Lonyo

East 17

Fierce

The Verve

Shola Ama + Glamma Kid

Tom Jones + Stereophonics

Old 02-11-2021, 08:12 PM

6,491 posts, read 2,618,491 times
Dude, we know where Youtube is.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Dude, we know where Youtube is.
Good for you mate but do you know what to look for re: the subject matter? That's the question.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:23 PM

6,491 posts, read 2,618,491 times
Quote:
Good for you mate but do you know what to look for re: the subject matter? That's the question.
No. No we're not. Only YOU are capable of curating such esoteric subject matter as "90s British music."

Old 02-11-2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
No. No we're not. Only YOU are capable of curating such esoteric subject matter as "90s British music."
How flattering. THANK YOU! But I'm sure other can curate just as good I'm sure of it.

It does beg the question though why someone would enter such an esoteric thread, if only to object?

Old 02-12-2021, 12:37 AM

800 posts, read 263,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
If you all can grant me an "ok Boomer" moment for just a moment LOL....

I think another good question is why did the world, especially of late, sleep on good music? Sure it exists but the mainstream music they play on the radio is absolute garbage! Yes, you can still find good music but you gotta know where to look!

I'm old enough to remember the late 70s, 80s and 90s and all one had to do is turn on the radio and be bombarded with good tunes. Boy those days are long gone. It's really a shame! These young kids wouldn't know good music if it hit them in the chin.
In the 50's, a genre called R&B opened up, and it was filled by people who knew how to sing, their mamas took them to church to learn from people who knew how to teach them.

Today, the vocals are rendered in a monotone by band members with a hackneyed accent through distorted vocal cords. And then remastered to sound like what the Sony monopoly can force down our throats.

That's why most Americans cannot name a single song that is currently on the Billboart Hot 100, not to mention anything more obscure than that.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Today, the vocals are rendered in a monotone by band members with a hackneyed accent through distorted 00vocal cords.
Haha the boomer complainer brigade has arrived and I fear I'm at risk of joining them . I do agree there's a lot of trollop but no-one can state that Jorja Smith, Sam Smith, Adele and Ed Sheran (have you seen his rendition of I was made to love her or Stevie Wonder - simply amazing) can't sing.

I don't think a hackneyed accent gets on the billboard 100 even with Esther's vocals or the harmonies of Eternal.

Eternal (live vocals)

Old 02-16-2021, 04:29 PM

169 posts, read 28,331 times
Quote:
From Soul to Jungle to Rock to Britpop, the 90's was a defining moment in cool Britania and British music.

Why was the success largely only Europe-wide with little impact in Canada & Aus and hardly none in tge he US until much later with small cult followings cropping up.

The lack of acceptance was especially true for Black British artists. Did the UK change too much from its stereotypical image that the world just turned its back? I would be interested in hearing some theories.
Because looking at a list of artists that were popular in the 90s in Britain, there was a lot more going on that was unique and original at the time in America than in Britain.

Soul is not original. We've had multiple waves of Soul music here. We invented it. In the 60s. We wouldn't recognize it as something Britain gave us.

Jungle is electronic. Electronic subgenres kind of occupy a niche element of mainstream music - they aren't mainstream.

Rock and Britpop are the same thing - Britain didn't produce a lot of worthwhile rock in the 90s. In fact, Britain hasn't produced a lot of worthwhile rock since the 70s, when they started to abandon rock for pop and electronic bands in the 80s.

Britpop was, as it's name suggests, culturally insular and not as exciting as what was going on in America at the time. Britpop was derivative sounding pop-rock, for the most part.

America dominated rock music in the 90s, and had a much more robust and diverse grunge, punk, heavy metal, alternative, industrial, hip hop, R & B, and indie rock scene in that decade.

I would also point out that "the British Invasion" is a misnomer in that British music beyond The Beatles, Rolling Stones, and Marianne Faithful was not particularly that ubiquitous in the 60s. It's always been overwhelmed by American talent within the American market. The British Invasion was notable because it was the first time any British talent at all became big in the US.

Reminder, they did so by playing American music styles. Which dulled the impact. You have to be able to recognize American culture when you consume it.

I think British people get way too chauvinistic about their music scene without realizing that much of what they're producing came from America's fruitful music scene. A lot of what Britain produced just wasn't interesting to many people in the US at the time, because we'd heard it before. Even a lot of the British artists that have become cult hits and global superstars in the modern age were but lone figures in everything that was going on in the American music scene in the 60s and 70s.

America is the largest music market, and is English-speaking, with a mind-blowingly diverse array of local music scenes and native genres, so 9 times out of 10, when people hear a good British artist, they don't consider the nationality, and many here used to take musicians for granted as American.

Last edited by magicinterest; 02-16-2021 at 05:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World