U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 08:33 PM

3,768 posts, read 2,248,948 times

Advertisements

From Soul to Jungle to Rock to Britpop, the 90's was a defining moment in cool Britania and British music.

Why was the success largely only Europe-wide with little impact in Canada & Aus and hardly none in tge he US until much later with small cult followings cropping up.

The lack of acceptance was especially true for Black British artists. Did the UK change too much from its stereotypical image that the world just turned its back? I would be interested in hearing some theories.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 08:39 PM

Here are some examples especially of artists or groups with black members.

Shola Ama

Skunk Anansie

Mark Morrison

The Prodigy

Old 01-31-2021, 09:02 PM

Black British girl groups

Fierce

Eternal

Cleopatra

Old 02-01-2021, 07:06 AM

No thoughts/opinions?

More Brit 90's classics...

Haddaway

M People

Jamiroquai

Old 02-01-2021, 10:08 AM
Status: "Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast." (set 13 days ago)

17,364 posts, read 20,070,929 times
Britpop, especially Oasis, Stone Roses, Jamiroquai, Cold Play, et al. was pretty popular in the US in my experience in the 90s. Many of their hits became anthems in American bars and parties. And electronic dance crossovers like Prodigy and Trip Hop acts were very popular as well.

Also Jungle, D&B, and Intelligent were massive in the American rave scene as well. But that was a bit more underground or subcultural, but widespread in the States.

I think it only seems like the profile was lowered because, comparatively speaking, 80s pop/new wave from Britain was an unprecedented tour de force in the States, following the 'British Invasion' in pop music in the late 60s and extreme popularity of British hard rock and metal bands in the 70s.

Combine that with the rise in popularity of the American post-punk, Grunge, and Rap/Hip Hop in the 90s and it does seem like a "depression" for British bands in the 90s, but they certainly weren't absent even if the top of the charts were populated with more American acts than they were in the previous two decades.

Old 02-01-2021, 10:44 AM

I was in the States often in the 90's/early 2000's. In fact in 1998 I was there for 2 months and another 3 months in 2003. I stayed in the New York, NJ, Baltimore, DC area with a stint in Chicago also.

Of my friendship group, family and other people I met along the way only one person knew who Oasis and she was a bit of a music buff. Also my cousin in Chicago she was into Eurodance and 90s rave/techno. Apart from that 90's British artists were unheard of aside from a handful of breakthrough acts such as Seal, Spice Girls and maybe Joss Stone & Dido were just getting some airplay because of collabs.

In general the US-American public were fairly ignorant. None even imagined there could be a solid R&B/Urban scene in the UK spawnig sub-genres such as Garage, Dn'B and Dub Step. Was it a resurgence in US nationalism or just a cultural disconnect because Canada & Aus also seemed to follow suit to a certain extent.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:36 PM

I think the likes of Stereophonics, Blur and Jamiroquai were bigger in Colombia (& South America in general) than they ever were in the States or Canada even with a full out national drug & guerilla war going on and the so called 'Lost decade' for the region.

Stereophonics

The Verve

Catatonia

Old 02-04-2021, 01:12 AM

4,501 posts, read 1,796,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I was in the States often in the 90's/early 2000's. In fact in 1998 I was there for 2 months and another 3 months in 2003. I stayed in the New York, NJ, Baltimore, DC area with a stint in Chicago also.

Of my friendship group, family and other people I met along the way only one person knew who Oasis and she was a bit of a music buff. Also my cousin in Chicago she was into Eurodance and 90s rave/techno. Apart from that 90's British artists were unheard of aside from a handful of breakthrough acts such as Seal, Spice Girls and maybe Joss Stone & Dido were just getting some airplay because of collabs.

In general the US-American public were fairly ignorant. None even imagined there could be a solid R&B/Urban scene in the UK spawnig sub-genres such as Garage, Dn'B and Dub Step. Was it a resurgence in US nationalism or just a cultural disconnect because Canada & Aus also seemed to follow suit to a certain extent.
With all the cross pollination that exists between the American and British scene and that extends to the Anglosphere at large, its not uncommon to come across people who mistakenly believe that an artist is from another country. I mentioned it elsewhere on this forum, but I’ve come across several people who thought that Led Zeppelin are an American band (some of the guys were actually English).

Old 02-04-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
With all the cross pollination that exists between the American and British scene and that extends to the Anglosphere at large, its not uncommon to come across people who mistakenly believe that an artist is from another country. I mentioned it elsewhere on this forum, but I’ve come across several people who thought that Led Zeppelin are an American band (some of the guys were actually English).
Yes that's true even I've been caught off guard on a few occasions with a few lesser known acts. This is more about the fact that 90's Britain, despite having had an impactful musical and even social & political movement, was "slept on" let's say. Basically, didn't have the same reach as it did prior or now even.

Old 02-06-2021, 11:22 AM

9,285 posts, read 7,902,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Some of the guys? Weren't they ALL English!?

Apparently when the Stones played in Cuba a lot of Cubans thought they were American! (Side note: Mick Jagger is a man of Kent like myself :-))
Still, what do I know, Led Zeppelin is before my time! :-D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World