U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 02:00 PM

2,459 posts, read 1,798,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Canadians - No. Have a reputation for being fake nice, smug and passive aggressive.
Dominicans - No. Lots of Caribbeans dislike them (especially Black Caribbeans, and especially Haitians)
Colombians - No. Venezuelans, Panamanians, Ecuadorians, and Peruvians all consider them stuck up
Brazilians - I'll go with yes.
Irish - No, the British have tons of stereotypes. Good reputation within the EU though.
Thais - Yes
Filipinos - Yes
Koreans - No, they have a stuck up reputation and are considered incredibly arrogant and self-obsessed
Japanese - Broadly, yes, but lots of enemies in Asia due to past sins (especially to Chinese/Koreans)
Australians - Broadly yes, though Chinese hate them now.
Why do the Chinese hate Australians , now? Is it because the Aussie gov. put a stop on the Chinese house shopping spree? I heard that they were buying everything, from houses, condo to vineyards
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 05:07 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,600,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Why are you attributing "British Stereotypes" to the Irish?
The British has lots of stereotypes about the Irish. It's hard to be considered the most likeable people when your next door neighbors don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Why do the Chinese hate Australians , now? Is it because the Aussie gov. put a stop on the Chinese house shopping spree? I heard that they were buying everything, from houses, condo to vineyards
Yes, and Australia called them out on genocide in Xinjiang, oppressing Tibetans, threatening aggression against Taiwan and destroying democracy in Hong Kong. The Chinese went wolf warrior and now they hate Australia and are telling their people not to spend money there. It's all rather petty.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:21 PM

857 posts, read 296,980 times
Quote:
The British has lots of stereotypes about the Irish. It's hard to be considered the most likeable people when your next door neighbors don't think so.

Yes, and Australia called them out on genocide in Xinjiang, oppressing Tibetans, threatening aggression against Taiwan and destroying democracy in Hong Kong. The Chinese went wolf warrior and now they hate Australia and are telling their people not to spend money there. It's all rather petty.
The British have stereotypes about every country they colonised, attempted to colonise, and then some......It's not for nothing they are among the least liked on earth.

If you're going to be guided in your analysis of this matter by the British.....It causes me to question the basis for all your other opinions about other opinions.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:01 PM

88,174 posts, read 82,181,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
I found Portugese people to be very likeable , more than the spanish and i do like the spanish i should add

i like the english a lot too , not too keen on scots

the only nation i really found unlikeable were Hungarians , unlikeable to the last man and woman

that impression was not influenced in anyway by politics BTW before anyone asks
Why?

Old 02-13-2021, 09:13 PM

3,807 posts, read 2,286,556 times
Quote:
Colombians - No. Venezuelans, Panamanians, Ecuadorians, and Peruvians all consider them stuck up
Peruvians like Colombia and consume a lot of their culture.

For the rest it's more part envy, part rivalry - like family. Gran Colombia was a 4 nation country like the UK. Venezuelans, Ecuadoreans and Panamanians dismiss Colombia much like Scottish, Welsh and Irish dismiss England but at the end of the day they're tied to each other whether they like it or not. Relationships and cross border familial ties run deep. Opinions should really be formed outside the " family" sphere. They're less sensitive and complicated. Even within Colombia cross-regional rivalry is hella fierce! Like 5 Catalunyas vs Castille.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:38 AM

3,851 posts, read 2,343,956 times
Am I the only who suspects OP meant to say "likED" but ended up with "likeable"? I'd understand 'likeable' as someone who is easy to be liked: Neil Degrasse Tyson, Dalai Lama, Obama etc while "liked" is someone who is just liked per se, aka: British soccer hooligans just 'cause they're English but not because people like Liverpool/alcoholism etc.

Old 02-15-2021, 04:06 AM

10,479 posts, read 13,642,380 times
Quote:
Koreans - No, they have a stuck up reputation and are considered incredibly arrogant and self-obsessed
Explain the popularity of K-Pop culture then.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Explain the popularity of K-Pop culture then.
K-pop culture is largely a made-up world. No one in real life looks like that (naturally) or acts like that.

Old 02-16-2021, 04:43 PM

8,495 posts, read 7,775,730 times
Quote:

Not at all, don't confuse political narratives with ordinary people's opinion.

Relatively uneducated Chinese consider all westerners the same. They don't care whether you are Australian or American.
Educated Chinese can separate government from people well.

Unless you intentionally talk about politics, nobody even cares where you are from.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:42 AM

9,400 posts, read 7,984,434 times
Quote:

As a Briton I can categorically say that the Irish people I've met have been kind, friendly, charming, funny, lovely people. There is a portion of Irish people that are still playing the 'victim' card and the Irish government have not been very pleasant over the 'Brexit' thing, Politics can be so divisive but people tend to be similar the world over, looking at every region on the planet you can see that being 'neighbours' is never easy but personally I like having the Irish as neighbours, the people themselves don't look down their noses at us the way the French tend to, you could certainly have worse neighbours anyway :-D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World