U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 11:40 AM

125 posts, read 41,519 times

Advertisements

People keep mentioning that New York has populated areas outside of the well-known Manhattan enclaves... So does London.

I'd highly recommend you travel to London after this Covid mess is over, and especially if you've never been before. It's just on another level than New York... This isn't to downplay NY, it's a great city. - But when it comes to public transportation, walkability, intimate urban centers, nightlife and shopping, London reigns supreme.
Not to mention that London has the Eurostar which can put you in Paris in under 2 and a half hours...

What a town!! And as I already mentioned, New York, unfortunately, is losing population. London has been growing like crazy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
When I travel to NY I stay in a fairly concentrated area. Midtown Manhattan basically has 90% of everything I’m interested in. London is so much more spread out. It might pack a similar punch, but I’m traveling further out to get a similar experience.

That said, I prefer London to NY. It’s just built differently which I think may be skewing your perception.
I much prefer London to New York. And yes, you're right, it is built differently. I find the layout of London to be much more charming and interesting. It's both a massive and densely packed, yet offers a huge array of intimate urban spots and charming centers... New York has many places like that, but near to the level of London...

What a town!!

Old 02-10-2021, 11:44 AM

557 posts, read 194,267 times
Sounds like another homer thread when someone is that adamant about one city in so many respects over another one. Try being a little objective ffs.

NYC can lose more population as the OP keeps writing and it will still come back better than ever. I've seen this movie before wayy too many times. Yawn.

And I lived in London and think it's a great city but chill on the hyperbole.

Old 02-10-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Sounds like another homer thread when someone is that adamant about one city in so many respects over another one. Try being a little objective ffs.

NYC can lose more population as the OP keeps writing and it will still come back better than ever. I've seen this movie before wayy too many times. Yawn.

And I lived in London and think it's a great city but chill on the hyperbole.

I'm a New Yorker....lmaoo. That was cute though..

London also lost a huge amount of it's population and has bounced back even more than New York. In 1980 New York had dropped to a population of just over 7.3 million people. London was down further at 6.8 million. -- Today New York is at 8.2 and London is at 9.4.

I'm sure New York will bounce back, but London is simply on another level currently.

It's ok... nothing to get hurt over...lool

Old 02-10-2021, 11:51 AM

557 posts, read 194,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post

London also lost a huge amount of it's population and has bounced back even more than New York. In 1980 New York had dropped to a population of just over 7.3 million people. London was down further to 6.8 million. -- Today New York is at 8.2 and London is at 9.4.

I'm sure New York will bounce back, but London is simply on another level currently.

You're a New Yorker who needed to come back here to check out the city before heading off to London for a comparison? LOL Riiight.

I got news for you...Any true New Yorker worth their salt doesn't need to spend another week in the city if they're originally from here. Take that from someone who lives here and stares out on the city all day, every day.

Another fugazzi trying too hard lol

Old 02-10-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
You're a New Yorker who needed to come back here to check out the city before heading off to London for a comparison? LOL Riiight.

I got news for you...Any true New Yorker worth their salt doesn't need to spend another week in the city if they're originally from here. Take that from someone who lives here and stares out on the city all day, every day.

Another fugazzi trying too hard lol

Awww, a fugazi...lmaoo.. I got this NY'er so upset he reverted to a played out mob/Italian stereotype...hahah

Fuggedaboudit, spaghetti and meatballs, Sunday gravy at Nonnas and a real slice of New York pie, right paisano? Lmao...

I actually live in Florida now, but I go back to NY often...and the feel and vibe is much less intense in NY than it is in London. I didn't go to London with the purposes of comparing, it's just something I observed when I was there, and I was correct.

"Yo Joey, dis guy ain't a real New Yorker. Real New Yorkers only hangout in da neighborhood Joey. I ain't left Bensonhurst since foreva! Fuggedaboudit fugazi!!" Lmaooo.... too funny.

Last edited by kingsdl76; 02-10-2021 at 12:19 PM..

Old 02-10-2021, 12:12 PM

4,130 posts, read 7,914,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
Ok, doesn’t change the fact that London is still smaller than NYC, and NYC is more dense. Like just because NYC isn’t just Manhattan doesn’t mean that it isn’t suburban outside of that borough lmao. Why are you using Worldpopulationreview.com? It’s called a census, most countries use them. Regardless, New York City’s density is basically double London’s lol. Though population density ofc isn’t the end all-be all of vibrancy.

Anyways, not to knock on London but saying London is bigger than New York is like saying Indianapolis is equal to San Francisco because their city limit pops are similar.

Also, where are you getting this stat that says London’s MSA has a population of 18 million, Eurostar says 14.5 million or so and that’s from 2019.
Worldpopulationreview.com real-time estimates are based on birth and death rates. I find them to be fairly unbiased, as even small cities and suburb estimates seem realistic. They still use census and UN data, and London's population was almost 8.8 million as of 2016 census.

I don't think it's right to say comparing London to New York is like comparing Indianapolis to San Francisco. London is like NYC, LA, and DC at the same time. Here is the borough(including town) of Croydon in South London. It's 11 miles (55 min drive time) from the City of London(central business district). London is around 15,000 ppsm, but because of the way it is constructed(most European cities seem to be this way) and its populations, it looks just as bit as dense as NYC overall.( I still think Manhattan provides a more grander urban experience.)
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3766...4!8i8192?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3735...4!8i8192?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3739...4!8i8192?hl=en

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 02-10-2021 at 12:27 PM..

Old 02-10-2021, 12:19 PM

28,791 posts, read 27,984,768 times
Quote:

London also lost a huge amount of it's population and has bounced back even more than New York. In 1980 New York had dropped to a population of just over 7.3 million people. London was down further at 6.8 million. -- Today New York is at 8.2 and London is at 9.4.

One thing to keep in mind on those stats is that NYC is 300 square miles of land area for that 8.2 million people and London is 607 square miles of land area for that 8.9 million people. Now doubling the land area for NYC to match London's obviously isn't going to double the population count as much of the NYC metropolitan area's densest parts are within the city of New York, but it would add a few million.

NYC is actually much denser overall, and while much of that peak density is within Manhattan, there are also several bustling, dense nodes that are not part of Manhattan.

Also, where did you find the 9.4 million people stat for London?

Old 02-10-2021, 12:24 PM

4,834 posts, read 2,373,840 times
Quote:
And the 14 million number is on the lower end... Some estimates put it as high as 18 million. Either way New Yorks metro area is nowhere near twice the population of Londons...

And moreover, London is experiencing tremendous grow, whereas New York is losing population.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next census records New York at just below 8 million.
Londons tremendous growth is largely due to immigration and anti-suburban policy. It’s fairly similar to Toronto’s growth, national policy’s effect on urban areas is what keeps both cities growing in comparison to their American counterparts where growth is more of a side product of a cultural movement towards cities rathe than the city having as much new housing as the suburbs. By comparison, While NYC is urban and still sees redevelopment, low immigration numbers doesn’t help it and neither does statewide policy that generally supports suburban development.

Also going to Nee York during Covid is generally a bad idea when talking about looking for vibrancy.

Old 02-10-2021, 12:24 PM

2,780 posts, read 4,390,163 times
Any apples-to-apples comparison will have NYC larger than London. That doesn’t mean anything regarding vibrancy, urban form, etc. and you are perfectly allowed to argue how big London feels at street level. I know we’re on the "city data" forum but I wish we could get away from these **** measuring contests.

I think the OP had a poor strategy when he decided to focus on city proper numbers, as if they have any sort of meaning in these kinds of comparisons. It’s like you came here saying ‘did you know San Antonio is over twice the size of Boston?’ Well when you figure out the arbitrariness of city boundaries you quickly drop that metric unless you want to double down on your ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World