U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 12:27 PM

125 posts, read 41,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
One thing to keep in mind on those stats is that NYC is 300 square miles of land area for that 8.2 million people and London is 607 square miles of land area for that 8.9 million people. Now doubling the land area for NYC to match London's obviously isn't going to double the population count as much of the NYC metropolitan area's densest parts are within the city of New York, but it would add a few million.

NYC is actually much denser overall, and while much of that peak density is within Manhattan, there are also several bustling, dense nodes that are not part of Manhattan.

Also, where did you find the 9.4 million people stat for London?
https://worldpopulationreview.com/wo...don-population

A few other sites as well....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 12:28 PM

557 posts, read 194,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
Awww, a fugazi...lmaoo.. I got this NY'er so upset he reverted to a played out mob/Italian stereotype...hahah

Fuggedaboudit, spaghetti and meatballs, Sunday gravy at Nonnas and a real slice of New York pie, right paisano? Lmao...

I actually live in Florida now, but I go back to NY often...and the feel and vibe is much less intense in NY than it is in London. I didn't go to London with the purposes of comparing, it's just something I observed when I was there, and I was correct.

"Yo Joey, dis guy ain't a real New Yorker. Real New Yorkers only hangout in da neighborhood Joey. I ain't left Bensonhurst since foreva! Fuggedaboudit fugazi!!" Lmaooo.... too funny.

LOL Nothing correct about your statement. If you went back to NY so often then why did you need a week in the city to figure out how it stacks up against London?

Hmm me thinks someone is Full of Ish!!! Keep telling yourself different, you are in the vast minority.

And if you are from here, then you must've been living in a bubble.

Old 02-10-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Londons tremendous growth is largely due to immigration and anti-suburban policy. It’s fairly similar to Toronto’s growth, national policy’s effect on urban areas is what keeps both cities growing in comparison to their American counterparts where growth is more of a side product of a cultural movement towards cities rathe than the city having as much new housing as the suburbs. By comparison, While NYC is urban and still sees redevelopment, low immigration numbers doesn’t help it and neither does statewide policy that generally supports suburban development.

Also going to Nee York during Covid is generally a bad idea when talking about looking for vibrancy.
This was pre-Covid.

Old 02-10-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
LOL Nothing correct about your statement. If you went back to NY so often then why did you need a week in the city to figure out how it stacks up against London?

Hmm me thinks someone is Full of Ish!!! Keep telling yourself different, you are in the vast minority.

And if you are from here, then you must've been living in a bubble.

Hey Fugazzi, how youse doin?...lmaoo... I go back to New York all the time, family is still there...and I travel to London about once a year. It's something I've notice in my travels recently (pre-Covid). When you travel and spend a considerable amount of time in different cities, especially internationally, and especially cities that are often compared, like New York and London, you make observations. I've noticed similar things about other cities as well, not just New York and London.

"Joey, dis guy liderally went to New York for a week, den he went to London to compare. Dis guyz a real strunz. We'll make sure da Gambinos neva invite him to Nonnas for Sunday gravy!! Dat'll show dis fugazzy!" Lmaooo....dying..

Old 02-10-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
London is like NYC, LA, and DC at the same time.[/url]
Agreed. That's a good assessment of London.

Old 02-10-2021, 03:08 PM

365 posts, read 240,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Worldpopulationreview.com real-time estimates are based on birth and death rates. I find them to be fairly unbiased, as even small cities and suburb estimates seem realistic. They still use census and UN data, and London's population was almost 8.8 million as of 2016 census.

I don't think it's right to say comparing London to New York is like comparing Indianapolis to San Francisco. London is like NYC, LA, and DC at the same time. Here is the borough(including town) of Croydon in South London. It's 11 miles (55 min drive time) from the City of London(central business district). London is around 15,000 ppsm, but because of the way it is constructed(most European cities seem to be this way) and its populations, it looks just as bit as dense as NYC overall.( I still think Manhattan provides a more grander urban experience.)
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3766...4!8i8192?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3735...4!8i8192?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3739...4!8i8192?hl=en
What meant by saying Indianapolis and San Francisco being equal is that the city proper populations are roughly the same. It’s the same argument he is making about the size of London when NYC is obviously more dense and more populated on a metro level. That being said, density does not necessarily equal vibrancy.

Old 02-10-2021, 03:22 PM

557 posts, read 194,267 times
Quote:
Hey Fugazzi, how youse doin?...lmaoo... I go back to New York all the time, family is still there...and I travel to London about once a year. It's something I've notice in my travels recently (pre-Covid). When you travel and spend a considerable amount of time in different cities, especially internationally, and especially cities that are often compared, like New York and London, you make observations. I've noticed similar things about other cities as well, not just New York and London.

"Joey, dis guy liderally went to New York for a week, den he went to London to compare. Dis guyz a real strunz. We'll make sure da Gambinos neva invite him to Nonnas for Sunday gravy!! Dat'll show dis fugazzy!" Lmaooo....dying..
Another wannabe who hates NY so much that he claims to have lived here and yet knows nothing about it. Yet at the same time claims to think London is superior and "on another level"

What a joker.

Old 02-10-2021, 06:29 PM

28,791 posts, read 27,984,768 times
Quote:
That's odd, because that page cites its source to be the UK's office of national statistics with this link:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...orthernireland

but then if you look at what's actually on that site as of this date, the estimates are this: https://www.ons.gov.uk/file?uri=/peo...20ladcodes.xls

And you see that their count for Greater London (the boroughs that comprise what is generally referred to as London) is 8,961,989.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:08 AM

16,950 posts, read 6,240,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Another wannabe who hates NY so much that he claims to have lived here and yet knows nothing about it. Yet at the same time claims to think London is superior and "on another level"

What a joker.
TBH - most Londoners have a close affinity to NYC, and even a great deal of love for their sister city.

Both cities are fantastic cities and both are vast cities.

Which one someone prefers is merely down to personal opinion and personal preference.

The difference between the cities make them more interesting and they are both better at different things, as well as having many things they both excel at.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:58 AM

744 posts, read 451,843 times
I've lived in NYC (Manhattan) and still travel there regularly, and have travelled to London dozens of times on business and pleasure trips. In my experience, there is no where in London that matches the dense, frenetic, dynamism of Manhattan. Not a knock on London by any means. I love being in London. But it's just not on the same level as NYC from this perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World