U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 04:12 AM

16,882 posts, read 6,210,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Yes but few for a pop. of half billion people.
The UK is manufacturing hundreds of millions of vaccines alone.

Oxford/Astra Zenaca is being manufactured in Swindon and Wrexham, Novavax on Teesside and Valvena in Scotland.

In all the UK has ordered 400 million doses and will manufacture far more doses than it needs itself, the idea being that it will give free doses to other poorer countries.

Whilst despite initial problems Europe as a whole has an impressive bio-pharma sector and this includes manufacturing.

Manufacturing COVID-19 vaccines - UK Parliament

Teesside 'buzzing' that Novavax vaccine will be made there - The Guardian

Large-scale coronavirus vaccine manufacturing begins in Scotland - GOV.UK

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-12-2021 at 04:27 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 12:24 PM

9,324 posts, read 7,935,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Yes but few for a pop. of half billion people.
I don't know about Europe but the UK is manufacturing hundreds of millions of vaccines across several different sites, the UK is only a small island you know! I believe there are also hundreds of millions of vaccines being manufactured on the continent too no? Is the US manufacturing more vaccines than Europe? I don't know the figures, however Israel is winning the 'vaccination' race you are imagining.

Old 02-13-2021, 02:26 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,580,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I don't know about Europe but the UK is manufacturing hundreds of millions of vaccines across several different sites, the UK is only a small island you know! I believe there are also hundreds of millions of vaccines being manufactured on the continent too no? Is the US manufacturing more vaccines than Europe? I don't know the figures, however Israel is winning the 'vaccination' race you are imagining.
Israel and the UAE are poor benchmarks of success. The hardest part of mass vaccinations is the labyrinthine web of logistics that you need to ship millions of doses across thousands of miles.

Jerusalem to Tel Aviv is a 45 minute drive. Abu Dhabi to Dubai is 80 minutes. Both countries are dense with population following a linear distribution (Jerusalem-Tel Aviv-Haifa, Abu Dhabi-Dubai-Sharjah). They have it on easy mode.

Old 02-13-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Israel and the UAE are poor benchmarks of success. The hardest part of mass vaccinations is the labyrinthine web of logistics that you need to ship millions of doses across thousands of miles.

Jerusalem to Tel Aviv is a 45 minute drive. Abu Dhabi to Dubai is 80 minutes. Both countries are dense with population following a linear distribution (Jerusalem-Tel Aviv-Haifa, Abu Dhabi-Dubai-Sharjah). They have it on easy mode.
But traversely compared to bigger countries they also have a tiny population of medical professionals and scientists, its 'swings and roundsbouts'.

Old 02-13-2021, 01:04 PM

802 posts, read 278,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
But traversely compared to bigger countries they also have a tiny population of medical professionals and scientists, its 'swings and roundsbouts'.
Israel has nearly twice as many physicians per capita as either the UK or US.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.MED.PHYS.ZS

Old 02-13-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Israel has nearly twice as many physicians per capita as either the UK or US.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.MED.PHYS.ZS
OK but its not just 'physicians' giving out vaccines though is it? Or else I sincerley 'doubt' that they would have vaccinated so many, there are dozens of issues regarding vaccinations from vaccine manufacture, orders placed, money spent, storage, availability, transportation, locations, city densities, volunteers, percentage of anti-vaxers, age of population, traffic on the roads etc etc! My original point is that the original posters 'boast' is just folley, there is NO world ranking when it comes to vaccinations and the fact is that Israel HAVE vaccinated the highest percentage of their population using whatever it is they've used to do it.

Old 02-13-2021, 06:27 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,991,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The UK is manufacturing hundreds of millions of vaccines alone.

Oxford/Astra Zenaca is being manufactured in Swindon and Wrexham, Novavax on Teesside and Valvena in Scotland.

In all the UK has ordered 400 million doses and will manufacture far more doses than it needs itself, the idea being that it will give free doses to other poorer countries.

Whilst despite initial problems Europe as a whole has an impressive bio-pharma sector and this includes manufacturing.

Manufacturing COVID-19 vaccines - UK Parliament

Teesside 'buzzing' that Novavax vaccine will be made there - The Guardian

Large-scale coronavirus vaccine manufacturing begins in Scotland - GOV.UK
They will be also producing 50 million of these in Melbourne so I'd imagine a lot of them will be distributed around all the Pacific islands and new Zealand.

Most people will be getting the Astra Zenaca vaccine in Australia. The phitzer vaccine will arrive first, (in a couple of days from now apparently) a) but it will only be a compativly small batch given to front line health workers.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-13-2021 at 06:55 PM..

Old 02-14-2021, 08:56 PM

1,935 posts, read 830,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
They will be also producing 50 million of these in Melbourne so I'd imagine a lot of them will be distributed around all the Pacific islands and new Zealand.

Most people will be getting the Astra Zenaca vaccine in Australia. The phitzer vaccine will arrive first, (in a couple of days from now apparently) a) but it will only be a compativly small batch given to front line health workers.
First lot of Pfizer has arrived in Sydney a couple of hours ago. Roll out, to border and quarantine staff, aged and disability care staff and residents to start next Monday.

We were having a discussion with my sister and BIL last night about vaccinations. They live in Dubai and have all been vaccinated, including adult son. They think our government has been slack.

I said that the government wants people in places like Tassie, which has not seen a case of the virus for months, to be confident to be vaccinated. As they have little immediate need it is not a good idea to rush, people want to see that it is worthwhile and being properly administered. They admitted they had difficulty seeing it from our point of view as they have been so restricted for so long. Whereas are lives are currently pretty much back to normal.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:10 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,991,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
First lot of Pfizer has arrived in Sydney a couple of hours ago. Roll out, to border and quarantine staff, aged and disability care staff and residents to start next Monday.

We were having a discussion with my sister and BIL last night about vaccinations. They live in Dubai and have all been vaccinated, including adult son. They think our government has been slack.

I said that the government wants people in places like Tassie, which has not seen a case of the virus for months, to be confident to be vaccinated. As they have little immediate need it is not a good idea to rush, people want to see that it is worthwhile and being properly administered. They admitted they had difficulty seeing it from our point of view as they have been so restricted for so long. Whereas are lives are currently pretty much back to normal.
Personally I think the reason why the government is been a bit slack is that the virus is not much of a problem in Australia at all in the big scheme of things, and no doubt we have loads of red tape it getting these things approved. In Queensland 6 people have died from it, more Queenslanders died from Chicken Pox last year than Coronavirus.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:16 PM

1,935 posts, read 830,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Personally I think the reason why the government is been a bit slack is that the virus is not much of a problem in Australia at all. 900 people have died from it in the country since it became a problem, in Queensland the number is 6, the chances are it would be well below a lot of other diseases that no one has every even heard of.
Yes I am far more likely to be killed driving out of my driveway at home, where my vision is obscured by the trucks all the tradies park along the street.

What do think the odds are that Qld will slam its border shut to us again in the next three months? We need to go to Brissie and to the north on business and have now cancelled three trips. Awfully hard to work up the will to make a booking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World