U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which group of cities is best?
NY, LA, Chicago, Washington, Toronto, SF 12 32.43%
London, Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Brussels, Moscow 25 67.57%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 01:05 AM

16,956 posts, read 6,247,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
Easily the European, look at the representation. London-Paris should have equal clout to New York-Los Angeles, and then you have a Spanish, Dutch, German and Russian city vs. four Anglo cities. Chicago and Toronto really are the bottom of this pack.

I know the OP did try to use a cited source with good reasoning, which is much better than arbitrary lists so I won't argue with what's presented. But definitely agree a Montreal/Quebec City and Mexico City in place of Chicago/TO would make this a very even match in my mind.

London, Paris and Brussels are fairly close to each other.

London to Paris is 2 hours 16 minutes on the train.

Paris to Brussels is 1 hour 29 minutes on the train.

Brussels to London is 1 hour 48 minutes on the train.

The most connected US cities are NYC and Washington DC, which is 3 hours and 17 minutes on the train (average), although the fastest you could get there by train is 2 hours and 49 minutes.

There are plans for a high speed rail link between Los Angeles and San Francisco, and this would cut the train journey between the two coastal cities to around 2 hours and 40 minutes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 06:09 AM

101 posts, read 30,782 times
Europe for sure, out of those selections.

The North America one is great too, but they are all (vastly) different shades of the same flavour. Each of the European ones would be a much bigger difference in comparison to each other, the difference between Moscow and Madrid is much bigger than the gap between NY and LA. The European choices provide a wider range/palette.

Old 02-25-2021, 03:42 PM

21,027 posts, read 22,293,431 times
Is Istanbul considered to be a European city or not?

Old 02-25-2021, 04:03 PM

4,579 posts, read 1,836,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post

New Orleans is tiny. Maybe Miami instead?
That works as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Is Istanbul considered to be a European city or not?
Part of Istanbul is in Europe, so you could definitely consider it as such.

Old 02-26-2021, 05:58 AM

1,444 posts, read 1,795,132 times
The USA cities are highly specialized in certain aspects. Dc is the center of all government and military. New york is a major finance banking. LA is media, SF is technology.
Many major European cities often combine all of these or many in their capital. In not sure of Berlin. I thought Germany was similar to USA where cities are more specialized.

Because of this Eurovision cities are more complete packages plus their 1000 year old history and heritage adds to the allure, beauty and distinct culture, cuisine, style. American cities , even Toronto are somewhat very similar than say Paris to London.

Old 02-26-2021, 09:20 AM

28,813 posts, read 27,991,211 times
East Asia / Southeast Asia also has six on that list
Tokyo (4)
Beijing (5)
Hong Kong (6)
Singapore (9)
Shanghai (12)
Seoul (17)

The two making up the rest of the top 20 that aren't in North America, Europe, or East/Southeast Asia are Sydney and Melbourne.

Old 02-26-2021, 12:43 PM

366 posts, read 241,022 times
Tough, but I feel like DC and Toronto have just ascended to global city status in the last 20 years, while the rest have been very important for at least last 50 or so for American/Canadian cities. So with that in mind, I’d probably have to go with the European centers.

Also, never realized Brussels was that large.

Old 02-26-2021, 03:37 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,970,460 times
Powerful, engaging cities like Chicago and Toronto tip the scales to North America.

London - Paris beat NYC - LA (LA is the poor man here; I think Chicago ultimately fares better against Paris).

In the 3rd and 4th slots, Chicago and Toronto beat anything that Europe can put against them, whether Berlin, Madrid or Amsterdam. Brussels is far too small.

DC, SF also stack up well.It's close, but NA wins.

For the record, I personally vastly prefer European cities.

Old 02-26-2021, 05:00 PM

4,496 posts, read 3,102,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
The USA cities are highly specialized in certain aspects. Dc is the center of all government and military. New York is a major finance banking. LA is media, SF is technology. Many major European cities often combine all of these or many in their capital. I'm not sure of Berlin. I thought Germany was similar to USA where cities are more specialized.
Berlin specializes in dragging Germany down: https://www.statista.com/chart/11515...conomic-power/

Old 02-26-2021, 09:22 PM

28,813 posts, read 27,991,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
Tough, but I feel like DC and Toronto have just ascended to global city status in the last 20 years, while the rest have been very important for at least last 50 or so for American/Canadian cities. So with that in mind, I’d probably have to go with the European centers.

Also, never realized Brussels was that large.

Brussels is big in this context because of it being the de facto capital of the EU and all that that entails.

However, another thing to mention is that European metropolitan areas are usually defined to be much smaller than those of their US counterparts. Brussels's metropolitan area (Large Urban Zone) covers only something like 1,600 square km, but if it was by more US census MSA standards, it'd probably take in like a third of the country in land area and half the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World