Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 10:03 AM

1,037 posts, read 678,658 times

Advertisements

Much to my surprise, I was eligible to receive the first two stimulus checks sent out by the US government. They even sent them to my place here in Malaysia.

I have a problem. I can't deposit the money into my Malaysian bank account. If I had the Bank of America app, I could scan the QR code to deposit it into my US account. However, I never downloaded the app and I'm now allowed to download the app while overseas.

So I'm stuck. The only option I have is to send the check to a family member back in the States and have them deposit it into my account - this is something I'd prefer NOT to do if I can help it.

I tried calling Bank of America, but the call cut out and I'm not in the mood for waiting on hold again.

Have any Americans living overseas been able to deposit their stimulus checks from abroad without a bank app?

Edit: Just tried Bank of America again. Their automated system is making my homicidal. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 11:51 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post

...... I have a problem. I can't deposit the money into my Malaysian bank account. ........
Just out of curiosity, why can't you deposit it into your Malaysian bank account?

Old 03-16-2021, 01:05 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I had no problem receiving my first two stimulus payments from the IRS, but I was pro-active and enrolled online with the IRS for the direct deposit option so that a paper check was never mailed to me. I maintain a US-based bank account that uses a private mail box address in Texas. Of course, before I left the US, I downloaded my US based bank account app to my smartphone, so I could deposit a dollars based check using the smartphone's camera, in the remote chance I might ever need to do that.

Why do you not have the Bank of America bank app on your smartphone? That is something that should have been done in the US, before going to Malaysia. Of course, your Malaysian bank is not going to cash a check in US dollars.

Why not go visit one of the two B of A offices in Malaysia? Maybe they can help you, and you won't get stuck on hold.

https://www.bofaml.com/content/boaml...locations.html

Old 03-16-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Just out of curiosity, why can't you deposit it into your Malaysian bank account?

I tried and the bank told me that they had had this problem with another American who came in trying to deposit his checks. Apparently they can only be deposited into a US account.

Old 03-16-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I had no problem receiving my first two stimulus payments from the IRS, but I was pro-active and enrolled online with the IRS for the direct deposit option so that a paper check was never mailed to me. I maintain a US-based bank account that uses a private mail box address in Texas. Of course, before I left the US, I downloaded my US based bank account app to my smartphone, so I could deposit a dollars based check using the smartphone's camera, in the remote chance I might ever need to do that.

Why do you not have the Bank of America bank app on your smartphone? That is something that should have been done in the US, before going to Malaysia. Of course, your Malaysian bank is not going to cash a check in US dollars.

Why not go visit one of the two B of A offices in Malaysia? Maybe they can help you, and you won't get stuck on hold.

https://www.bofaml.com/content/boaml...locations.html

Thank you for the list of BOA branches outside of the US. I was unaware that they even had a branch here. I'll have to give them a call today!

Old 03-17-2021, 02:46 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Increasingly, overseas banks are refusing to endure new restrictions on direct deposits from the US government. It now requires a non-joint passbook account, which must be withdrawn in cash by the payee personally, from a cashier. The banks simply refuse to offer such accounts, and is telling SS recipients to take their business elsewhere..

Old 03-17-2021, 06:56 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Try depositing it via mobile phone.

https://www.bankofamerica.com/online...check-deposit/

Old 03-17-2021, 09:27 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I tried and the bank told me that they had had this problem with another American who came in trying to deposit his checks. Apparently they can only be deposited into a US account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Increasingly, overseas banks are refusing to endure new restrictions on direct deposits from the US government. It now requires a non-joint passbook account, which must be withdrawn in cash by the payee personally, from a cashier. The banks simply refuse to offer such accounts, and is telling SS recipients to take their business elsewhere..
Interesting. Okay, thanks for that information.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:37 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
If you're having problems downloading the app because of geolocation restrictions on downloading, then you can try to see if disabling location services and using a VPN based in the US will let you download the app and deposit.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If you're having problems downloading the app because of geolocation restrictions on downloading, then you can try to see if disabling location services and using a VPN based in the US will let you download the app and deposit.
I never thought to use a VPN. Too late now.

Here's the what I've done so far:
1. Could not download Bank of America (BOA) app because it cannot be downloaded overseas, so I couldn't use the QR code to deposit
2. Tried depositing the check into my Malaysian bank account. Denied.
3. Tried calling BOA back in the US - Got cut off twice
4. Tried calling BOA in Malaysia and they never answered their phone.
5. Tried going to Citibank thinking that because it was an American bank, they might be able to cash my checks. I was wrong and they kind of laughed at me. I said, "Let me guess, I'm not the first American who tried to do this?" They laughed harder.
6. Finally gave up and sent the checks to my mother in the States in hopes she can deposit them them into my account.

Aiyo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World