Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 06:10 PM

164 posts, read 81,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
Excuse me, India still hasn't figured out toilets.
and who told you super power is about being prosperous? Super power is about being BIG!

The Us is a super power and is terribly unequal with a huge amount of poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 06:23 PM

296 posts, read 248,048 times
Well, what kind of superpower are we talking about? I was thinking economic superpower. The type of economy that can crash the global economy if it goes down.

If India wants to become an economic superpower, they will need to export large amounts of manufactured goods to markets around the world. That's what economic superpowers do.

Old 08-08-2021, 07:33 PM

3,870 posts, read 4,467,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl77 View Post
Superpower does not mean prosperous rich democratic

The soviet union was a superpower while killing and imprisoning people left and right and having millions of its citizens living really hard lives.

The Us is a super power and it's quite violent, full of inequality. 15% of kids in America live in poverty and have suffered from hunger.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/11/mill...is-winter.html

super power and highly developed country is not the same thing.

European immigrants to the USA are overrated.......... the Us is a superpower because of its natural resources, optimal geographic location and the fact it was the only country that participated in WWII that was in top shape after the war. The rest of the war was in ruins!
Brazil and Argentina share a lot of similarities to the US. All three were built to a large degree on European immigration, and have a lot of natural resources. All three were not damaged by either of the world wars. Yet only one of the three has moved on to become a prosperous super power, while the other two have regressed to where they are not even considered developed countries, never mind super powers.

By referring to the Soviet Union, you proved my point. I said one of the driving factors to becoming a super power was the presence of a dictatorial regime that could forcefully implement strategies to drive the country forward, rightly or wrongly. I think its safe to say that the Soviets had that in place.

Old 08-09-2021, 02:47 AM

779 posts, read 598,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl77 View Post
and who told you super power is about being prosperous? Super power is about being BIG!

The Us is a super power and is terribly unequal with a huge amount of poverty.
I wouldn't consider having a nationwide working sewage system a sign of prosperity.

If a country cannot even fulfill the sanitary needs of its population then sure as hell this country is in no position to project its power worldwide.

And who told you being a superpower is about being BIG? It's about the ability to project power: economic, military, and political.

Old 08-09-2021, 03:28 AM

164 posts, read 81,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
I wouldn't consider having a nationwide working sewage system a sign of prosperity.

If a country cannot even fulfill the sanitary needs of its population then sure as hell this country is in no position to project its power worldwide.

And who told you being a superpower is about being BIG? It's about the ability to project power: economic, military, and political.
BIG = having a large economy, large military, be able to project power.

(That is what I mean)

India can do that!

Super power is not about having great prosperity. Look at how much poverty there was in the Soviet Union,and how much poverty there is in the USA!

Norway, Switzerland, Singapore, are all rich countries, but not superpowers.

Old 08-09-2021, 01:22 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,079,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA7
Yeah Australia I more powerful than Austria people here think Austria is Australia like if said yo from Austria they start saying G'day mate shrimp on the Barbie and we think what like are putting a shrimp on a Barbie like a a real Barrie doll.
Ha ha, this is probably the best post I’ve ever read on City-Data, especially the bit about the “Barrie Doll”!

Old 08-09-2021, 03:47 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,164,118 times
India became a super spreader...

Old 09-01-2021, 03:56 PM

4,640 posts, read 13,945,617 times
Deep down losing relevance to use limiting boundaries labels of "Superpowers." Although, of course India has tons of potential. Could end up another China.

Is poverty the issue? India still has a wealthy, and middle class. Although, China average wages suggest double to triple right from the India average.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...PP)_per_capita
Rank 100
China
$18,931 2021
$17,312 2020
$16,117 2019
Rank 155
India
$7,333 2021
$6,454 2020
$6,700 2019
Almost not too far away in official ranks among Purchasing Power of average native citizens

Is India having their own exact parallel situation occurrence to ethnic Uyghurs of Xinjiang extra autonomous province in China?
Or what is in the Beijing area with Industrial factories?
Any extra strict sociological conformity?

Old 09-02-2021, 12:28 AM

1 posts, read 243 times
Thumbs up Pune will become superpower

Pune will become superpower - [url]https://www.knowlicious.site/Explore.html[/url]

Old 09-06-2021, 02:47 PM

156 posts, read 170,537 times
Doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World