Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 09:46 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,261,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasmin35 View Post
Do you think India could become the next potential superpower.
India has the potential.

First, I would say India is already one of the Great Powers - along with countries like the USA, China and Russia. One of the world's largest economies, armies, navies plus a huge population and nuclear weapons, India is easily one of the great powers today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...a_great_powers

But then comes the question - what exactly makes a great power into a superpower? I look at a superpower as a country that can intervene around the world on a massive scale. A good example of this is the United States during WW2, having and supplying sizable naval, air and ground forces fighting both Germany and Japan in Europe and the Pacific at the same time.

Could India do that? Probably not now but maybe after couple of years of mobilization. It must be remembered that the USA had a large navy but before WW1 and WW2 had a much smaller army - it took time for the Americans to build up their army and move their industry to a war economy. So I think India in a major war could mobilize and given time could become the next superpower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 02:15 PM

275 posts, read 421,853 times
I think an important question is why American citizens are not supporting India more. Americans complain about and fear China but I hear very little about India. I do not see products made in India in stores. America needs stores like Walmart (that sells many products from China) that instead sell products from India.

Old 09-15-2021, 05:48 PM

15 posts, read 7,741 times
I think India has the potential as it continues to develop. But superpowers are something that have seemed to fade in todays world, so not sure India can get there in this window.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:18 PM

32 posts, read 17,291 times
I think India definitely has the potential. It’s still early days for India but I have seen a lot of Indian influence (think food, people, cultural traditions etc) in all major cities and towns across the world. This does project soft power but to be considered a superpower India will need to develop more economically. It’s high population is both its strength and weakness and at this point she probably needs a good 20 years of good governance and strong GDP growth to be considered in the superpower discussion.

Old 09-20-2021, 12:50 PM

37,160 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hobbs View Post
I think an important question is why American citizens are not supporting India more. Americans complain about and fear China but I hear very little about India. I do not see products made in India in stores. America needs stores like Walmart (that sells many products from China) that instead sell products from India.

I think it's arguable that China has an easier pathway to democracy than India has to China's level of manufacturing output.

Old 10-03-2021, 10:27 AM

620 posts, read 312,830 times
Anyone who has spent some time in India would know this would never ever happen. India has everything pretty much going against them: Rampant corruption in every walk of society; country full of trash/ pollution; overpopulation; extreme poverty; cultural conflicts between different castes, religions and regions (north vs south etc.); lack of basic infrastructure (roads, electricity, toilets etc.). I would be surprised if India doesn’t go completely downward from here (if that’s even possible).

This makes me wonder if all talks of China being next superpower are also exaggerated. Don’t get me wrong: I accept China is far ahead of India at the moment but they also face some of the problems mentioned above such as: corruption, heavy pollution etc., no? I would like to get an honest, unbiased view of China from someone who has actually lived there.

Old 10-03-2021, 10:55 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,570,921 times
And then there's this:

Quote:
Power cuts in China (WSJ). And from the FT: "Power crunch looms in India as coal stocks reach crisis point. More than half the country’s power plants have less than three days of supplies remaining."
Is this now "a thing"? Was anyone predicting this a month ago?

Old 10-03-2021, 01:47 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
A superpower is a country that has an exclusive, deep, and pervasive influence over other countries. Sometimes to the point where it may even be considered coersive power.

The US acheived this through its influence over markets and defense in the developed world, and through regime building in Latin America.

Russia did it through expanding its ideology and economic support in the Soviet/Communist sphere.

China is attempting it through markets and economic development (thus control) in various African nations. I also think that China is on a razor's edge between becoming the next superpower and collapsing. This is why their Africa strategy is so interesting, because it is their lifeline. If it pays off, China will become a true superpower, but unfortunately at Africa's expense, much like (much of) Europe's rise at Africa's expense.

Merely having world-destroying technology (a nuclear arsenal) does not make a country a superpower, but I do think it is a prerequisite in the modern world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World