Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 10:20 AM

185 posts, read 103,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Oh god, it must be such an ugly place to live!!!

Talk about a perfect setting for a city! Those mountains in Sichuan put anything in North America to shame.
The most famous one in Sichuan is the giant panda You can really see beautiful mountains in Sichuan and Tibet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 08:03 PM

5,314 posts, read 5,036,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangbatibetan View Post
Now the building can't exceed 500 meters The planned height of Wuhan green space center is 634m It's only 475 meters now But from my observation, the rural population is less and less now Basically, young people go to big cities for development In China, the rich may have more money than the Europeans Mercedes Benz, BMW and Audi 33% of the buyers come from China
I was just reading that there's a whole counter culture in china, called 'lying down', where younger people check out from the career escalator and live minimalist lifestyles. It'll be interesting to see if things like this catch on when people have enough income to make a minimal work life still cover all the basics of life comfortably, as I feel you can do here in the US.

Also I wonder if the current big city dwellers will retire in their mega city or if they'll head back home to smaller cities to get a more relaxing environment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangbatibetan View Post
The most famous one in Sichuan is the giant panda You can really see beautiful mountains in Sichuan and Tibet
It's so cool that you have both states in your country for a quick trip! There must be endless valleys of great hiking! Harder to access than the Rockies in the US, but scenery on the next level!

Old 06-20-2021, 01:03 AM

Quote:
I was just reading that there's a whole counter culture in china, called 'lying down', where younger people check out from the career escalator and live minimalist lifestyles. It'll be interesting to see if things like this catch on when people have enough income to make a minimal work life still cover all the basics of life comfortably, as I feel you can do here in the US.

Also I wonder if the current big city dwellers will retire in their mega city or if they'll head back home to smaller cities to get a more relaxing environment.

It's so cool that you have both states in your country for a quick trip! There must be endless valleys of great hiking! Harder to access than the Rockies in the US, but scenery on the next level!
I see a lot of old people in big cities, Everyone has different ideas Some people may like busy cities Some people like the quiet countryside.. In China, if you are rich, you will get more respect In China, I think the goal of most young people is to become richer In China, lazy men are shameful Women have a high demand for men If a man doesn't have a house or a car, . it's hard to find a wife Pretty women usually get married The rest are ugly women Anyway, as a man in China, it's very hard

Old 07-19-2021, 04:18 PM

5,490 posts, read 13,863,048 times
Really speculating how extremely accurate or legitimate those exact statistics are online in the World Wide Web Internet of Computers. Only city limits or with suburbs rest of metropolitan area? Can stay quite conflicting stubbornly obscure.

Looks like Chengdu or Chongqing are at among equal ranks with Seoul South Korea, Istanbul Turkey, Shanghai China, Delhi India.

Seoul isn't really that overwhelming filled with crowds constantly. Usually, able to get a satisfying break very often. Fortunately, Seoul is Decentralized enough within the concept on Downtown. I am sure some Chinese, Indian cities, even one in Egypt, Turkey reach even further massive crowds, congestion, hyper density among regular pedestrians.

Old 07-19-2021, 10:37 PM

5,021 posts, read 7,427,982 times
Quote:
Oh god, it must be such an ugly place to live!!!

Talk about a perfect setting for a city! Those mountains in Sichuan put anything in North America to shame.
I was in the city 15 years ago, and that is a perfect description of the place, however the same could be said for many Chinese cities.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:24 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,695,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
Really speculating how extremely accurate or legitimate those exact statistics are online in the World Wide Web Internet of Computers. Only city limits or with suburbs rest of metropolitan area? Can stay quite conflicting stubbornly obscure.

Looks like Chengdu or Chongqing are at among equal ranks with Seoul South Korea, Istanbul Turkey, Shanghai China, Delhi India.

Seoul isn't really that overwhelming filled with crowds constantly. Usually, able to get a satisfying break very often. Fortunately, Seoul is Decentralized enough within the concept on Downtown. I am sure some Chinese, Indian cities, even one in Egypt, Turkey reach even further massive crowds, congestion, hyper density among regular pedestrians.

Shanghai is as flat as Dallas, ridiculously boring.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:29 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,695,298 times
Quote:
Isn't China actively trying to push development and people into the smaller cities and out of the big cities? Banning sky scrapers, connecting secondary cities by high speed rail, actively pushing development of industry in smaller centers... I think most people are on the same page, urbanity is good in small chunks, mega cities become quickly unweildy. I have the same opinion about big cities in the US

Japan has similar plans, and Tokyo metro is growing into a bigger urban sprawl every year.

The advent of mega cities has been a global trend in the past century. There's no way to stop it.

Old 07-22-2021, 12:56 AM

6,441 posts, read 4,002,605 times
Chengdu while big like most Chinese cities have slightly inflated numbers in some cases. The reverse is also true in parts of China. Similar to how in Japan every piece of land belongs to a city, a similar rule but on a larger scale plays out in China. So you have these dense cities, that are massive population wise but low in figurative density because the cities are roughly the size of Californian Counties if not bigger in some cases. While these cities are large on paper they do not generally include other urban areas. But due to the density of many parts of “rural” China, these supersized cities likely still over count by millions due to high density rural areas (oxymoron but it ac toast exists) and “small” towns of 50,000 people. For example, this rural county is nearly as dense as suburban Atlanta- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dayi_County
It adds 500,000 people who realistically don’t live in the city.

Old 07-23-2021, 02:22 PM

5,314 posts, read 5,036,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I was in the city 15 years ago, and that is a perfect description of the place, however the same could be said for many Chinese cities.
Outside of the port cities that blew up recently from export trade, I'd imagine a lot of the big cities in China have roots that go way back, they are where they are cause there's something special about the geography. And China has plenty of cool geography to go around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Japan has similar plans, and Tokyo metro is growing into a bigger urban sprawl every year.

The advent of mega cities has been a global trend in the past century. There's no way to stop it.
Well here in the US the big cities have all basically stalled out growth wise post COVID, but cultures are different across the globe. Apparently WFH never really caught on in Japan. I wonder why Japanese people wouldn't want to spread out despite being incentivized to?

Old 07-24-2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Chengdu while big like most Chinese cities have slightly inflated numbers in some cases. The reverse is also true in parts of China. Similar to how in Japan every piece of land belongs to a city, a similar rule but on a larger scale plays out in China. So you have these dense cities, that are massive population wise but low in figurative density because the cities are roughly the size of Californian Counties if not bigger in some cases. While these cities are large on paper they do not generally include other urban areas. But due to the density of many parts of “rural” China, these supersized cities likely still over count by millions due to high density rural areas (oxymoron but it ac toast exists) and “small” towns of 50,000 people. For example, this rural county is nearly as dense as suburban Atlanta- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dayi_County
It adds 500,000 people who realistically don’t live in the city.
In fact, there are few young people in rural China Most of them are old people at home Most young people go to work in cities This is the permanent population In fact, there are many migrant population without statistics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World