Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-08-2021, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Rome
529 posts, read 557,689 times
Reputation: 544

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
A vers small, but admittedly very significant, part of Turkey;s land area is geographically part of the most extremely distant part of southeast Europe, and historically, parts of the Adriatic coast and the Bosphorus were part of the cultural milieu of Europe (Greek).

But the vast majority of the land and its people are in Asia, and have cultural and historical ties to southwest Asia.

You probably meant Aegean coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2021, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Hudson County, New Jersey
12,194 posts, read 8,076,229 times
Reputation: 10185
Because the country is 10% Europe, 90% Asia.
Also, culturally between Greek and MENA. But thats besides the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2021, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Honolulu/DMV Area/NYC
30,678 posts, read 18,307,542 times
Reputation: 34549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Um... geography.
Bingo. You seriously can't expect most to refer to Turkey as a European country when only 3% (and 10% of its population) its territory is located within Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2021, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Honolulu/DMV Area/NYC
30,678 posts, read 18,307,542 times
Reputation: 34549
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Istanbul and everything west of the Bosphorus is considered Europe, but east of it is culturally and geographically Middle Eastern. In fact even IST is more of a Middle Eastern city culturally. Further west is more similar to Greece in culture and history.
True. I didn't get very much of a European vibe when I was in Istanbul. That's hard to do when you hear the Islamic call to prayer five times a day and a culture with significant differences otherwise also compared to much of Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2021, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Honolulu/DMV Area/NYC
30,678 posts, read 18,307,542 times
Reputation: 34549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
As BNW said, only a small part of Turkey actually falls under the definition of Europe. Unlike Russia, which has its culture firmly rooted in Europe, Turkey is viewed as part of the Islamic world. Cultural perception does play a role in defining regions. That’s why Cyprus is classified as a European country, while Turkey isn’t, despite it actually being right next door to Israel and Lebanon.
I'll say that religion can play a pretty big role. But Albania is also majority Muslim, yet there is no doubt that that country is European.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2021, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Honolulu/DMV Area/NYC
30,678 posts, read 18,307,542 times
Reputation: 34549
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocisful View Post
I believe Turkey is not considered a part of Europe because it is a majority Muslim state. I also think that ill feelings prevail when Turkey was the center of the Ottoman Empire which destroyed Christianity through violence. First the Premier Christian city of the East (Constantinople) then attempted the in much of Eastern Europe.

I think in many circles residual historical resentments prevail.
I think that this may be true in many people's minds, but I also point out that Albania is a Muslim majority state, and nobody disputes that it is European.

I do think that Turkey being the center of the Ottoman Empire plays a huge role--that and the fact that most of the country is in Asia--is a huge reason why most don't view Turkey as a part of Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2021, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Honolulu/DMV Area/NYC
30,678 posts, read 18,307,542 times
Reputation: 34549
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Even more people can't find Arizona on a map.
Arizona is not a country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2021, 02:33 PM
 
Location: White Rock BC
395 posts, read 600,242 times
Reputation: 750
"Technically", China and Europe are on the same continent, Eurasia. Realistically people never think that way and this goes for Turkey as well.

Continents are, in the strictest sense of the term, only geographic. The reality on the ground is very different. Nobody sees Turkey as part of Europe. Hell, most people don't even view Egypt as part of Africa but rather the "Middle East" due to their very different cultural, religious, and ethnic make-up. In NA if you say NA most just think of Canada & the US but only think of Mexico when taking trade. Nicaragua is also part of NA technically but is always referred to as Central America by both NA and SA.

In short, as far as the vast majority of people on the planet, and especially in Europe and NA, Turkey is most decidedly not part of Europe. In fact in NA, most don't even consider Moscow as part of Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2021, 12:48 AM
 
189 posts, read 222,518 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Because Turkic people migrated from Northwestern China/Mongolia.
Oops
Where did the Hungarians, Albanians, Slavs, Anglo-Saxons come to Europe from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2021, 03:44 AM
 
5,743 posts, read 3,619,102 times
Reputation: 8905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinho View Post
Well in that case Ireland and the UK are also outside of Europe proper. Iceland as well. And the Azores are right in between America and Europe.
Copenhagen, then, is not in Europe, but on an island,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top