Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 08:02 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,141,382 times

Advertisements

I thought it'd be fun to make a thread where people can compare continents and talk about what makes each continent unique among all the others in world. Also, do you like your continent the best, do you think it's benefits match your personality and interests the best both now and well off into the future? Do you feel like you could only travel on your continent and be satisfied with all the destinations and variety?

For Asia, it might make more sense to compare Europe, East Asia, and South Asia to other continents instead of the whole Eurasian landmass because that is so huge in relation to the other continents. Let's call Europe everything west of the Urals and Caspian sea and north of Iraq.

North America is the best continent in the world for lakes. Canada has so many lakes they can't even count them all. If you only count land surface, China is significantly bigger than Canada. It's got 9 great lakes, the 5 big ones on the US Canada border and 4 more up into Canada. Having essentially freshwater oceans is something you only get in North America. There's so many reservoirs built across the US that every state has water recreation activity. And Florida and the Yucatan offer tropical versions of the potholes scattered across the northern part of the continent.

It's also really cold, where latitudes far south get arctic blasts and the western flank stays chilly from the high elevation. It seems like Canada is on average colder than Siberia and no mountains stop the cold from blasting south in a vortex. I don't mind being hot or cold, so the temperature wackiness doesn't bother me to much.

I think North America is the best continent for me. The main thing I like is the amount of livable space per person. I love that crowding is only a city / local problem, that there's so much wilderness while still being the breadbasket of the world, it's so easy to get outside in nature by yourself and keep exploring new areas. There's such a proliferation of roads to get places. Other continents offer more jaw dropping scenery in a quick flights time, but North America is the easiest to access the outdoors in a quick car trip.

There's not much history to look at and a lot of the native culture is gone, but that also gives it a frontier feeling, that you are the one who makes the mark. There's less cultural baggage and ingrained mentialies too with this, that's part of why I think it's such a land of opportunity. I also like that it's separated by 2 large oceans and not strongly connected to South(east) America. I think this gives the continent the ability to be more individualistic and separated from the global system (if it would so choose to be).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 12:14 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,257,106 times
North America has the best riverine network in the world. If I recall correctly it has a majority of the world's miles of navigable river if you consider the intracoastal waterway a river.

Why does this matter? Waterborne transport is by far the cheapest form of transportation. Since North America is pierced by so many navigable rivers, placing so much of the country close to an ocean port (yes places like Minneapolis and Pittsburgh are considered ocean ports) more places are plugged into international commerce than in countries of similar size like Brazil and China.

This ensures North America will always be a wealthy place, and that the coast-inland economic divide will not be as stark.

Old 06-20-2021, 09:39 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,526,335 times
Australia is the smallest continent and the 2nd least populated, beating only Antarctica. But it is the worlds most urbanised country with the vast majority of the population clustered in a few cities on the coast, because much of the interior is uninhabitable.

As it is an Island, the unique native Fauna is certainly something that makes it special. We have an enormous coastline and thousands of spectacular beaches, but so does every other continent. I guess the Great Barrier Reef makes it special too.

Apart from that, there is some cool natural sites like Uluru, the Daintree etc. But on the whole, nothing that special apart from governance and quality of life.

Old 06-22-2021, 02:13 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,528,814 times
South America... we have Amazonas-Ucayali river, the largest one in discharge, and with the largest drainage basin. Also the Andes, which is the longest continental mountain range in the world.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:08 PM

3,992 posts, read 6,801,710 times
Latin America is special because of music

Old 06-23-2021, 12:58 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
America - Diversity

Old 06-23-2021, 05:26 AM

27,193 posts, read 13,482,880 times
In relation to Europe, it has a geographic diversity which is matched by it's cultural and artistic diversity, as well as it's long and fascinating historical story.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:44 AM

27,579 posts, read 28,687,607 times
North America:

2 countries that are very similar to each other. And one country that has nothing to do with the other 2.

What other continent looks like this?

Old 06-23-2021, 01:23 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,374,003 times
Wildlife version

South America: greatest biodiversity
Africa: most megafauna
Australia: most singular
Antarctica: almost no terrestrial life

Old 06-23-2021, 07:26 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,141,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
North America has the best riverine network in the world. If I recall correctly it has a majority of the world's miles of navigable river if you consider the intracoastal waterway a river.

Why does this matter? Waterborne transport is by far the cheapest form of transportation. Since North America is pierced by so many navigable rivers, placing so much of the country close to an ocean port (yes places like Minneapolis and Pittsburgh are considered ocean ports) more places are plugged into international commerce than in countries of similar size like Brazil and China.

This ensures North America will always be a wealthy place, and that the coast-inland economic divide will not be as stark.
Very interesting! Did not know this. I guess it even holds true in Alaska and Canada if people were to ever settle that far into the high latitudes one day. Yet another thing that points to North America still being populated below its carrying capacity. So much water, arable land, ease of movement of goods compared to somewhere like South Asia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
In relation to Europe, it has a geographic diversity which is matched by it's cultural and artistic diversity, as well as it's long and fascinating historical story.
Very true, Europe seems a lot more dense with travel options and variety within a 4 hr flight radius of Krakow vs what you'd get with a 4 mile radius around Wichita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Wildlife version

South America: greatest biodiversity
Africa: most megafauna
Australia: most singular
Antarctica: almost no terrestrial life
Good comparison!

The interesting thing about Australia is that if you lived there, anywhere else on all the other continents would seem very different regarding flora, fauna, geography... Whereas going from N America to Europe to Asia there's similar feels in landscape and fauna across the temperate zones. Also Oceania is the best place in the world if you like being in / on the ocean with so many islands and sea water warm and clear enough to jump in over most of the continent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World