Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 07:25 AM

983 posts, read 3,598,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones1 View Post
That's a big "if" plus Asia has too many different languages/dialects to come even close to Spanish as does Africa and Oceana.

Until then I would still recommend Spanish

Tambien
Well yes, in many of those areas English would be just fine.

If the option is between Spanish, French, and Italian, globally viewed, Spanish is definitely the most useful, yet one has to keep in mind that it's quite useless in Asia, Africa, and Oceania.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:54 AM

57 posts, read 188,498 times
OK lingua geek excatly how many languages do you speak?

Old 05-22-2008, 03:16 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
Moderator's note:

Please remember that City Data only allows English as a posting language.

Thanks for everyone's cooperation.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:02 PM

Default Empat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones1 View Post
OK lingua geek excatly how many languages do you speak?
One, two, three, four.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:54 PM

469 posts, read 2,736,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Well yes, in many of those areas English would be just fine.

If the option is between Spanish, French, and Italian, globally viewed, Spanish is definitely the most useful, yet one has to keep in mind that it's quite useless in Asia, Africa, and Oceania.
There's at least a few countries in Africa that still use Portuguese, a holdover from the colonial era, so someone with a working knowledge of Spanish could probably get by in Portuguese.

The 'which is the best foreign language to learn?' question will be different for different people with different needs. You already speak the world's most spoken language: English. Languages as widely spoken with as many native and second-language speakers are hard to come by. Your options are:

Spanish: South America, Spain, Equatorial Guinea (Africa), Andorra, Puerto Rico, Cuba.
Arabic: Most of the Middle East, educated Muslims worldwide. Probably only worth the effort if you plan to spend time in Arab nations.
Russian: The former USSR.
Chinese: China (hey, it's got 1 billion people!). You could probably scare up a Chinese speaker in most big cities in Asia. The writing system and tones don't make it the most attractive option for an English-speaker.
French: Not the lingua franca it once was, but still a good choice. Spoken in France and neighboring countries such as Belgium, part of Canada, a host of African nations including Bénin, Côte d'Ivoire, Gabon, Guinea, both Congos, Mali, as well as in the Arab nations of Algeria and Morroco, Haiti, etc.

Of these options, French, Spanish, and Russian are all Indo-European languages, and so related to English. Russian and Arabic are written in different alphabets. Chinese uses a logographic writing system. I'd rank difficulty as follows, from easiest to hardest for a native English-speaker:

Spanish
French
Russian
Arabic
Chinese

I suggest learning the language which interests you the most; you'll learn faster if you are entranced by the language and culture. I personally fell in love with French. Simple as that. I didn't care a whit for Spanish for no reason other than it wasn't French. If you want to learn something completely different from English in almost every way, try Chinese. If you think Arabic's writing is gorgeous, try Arabic. If you love extemely long Russian novels and want to read them in the original, try Russian. If you fall in love with a Mexican and want to whisper "mi corazon" in his/her ear, try Spanish.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:43 AM

Default Lingua franca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
French: Not the lingua franca it once was, but still a good choice. Spoken in France and neighboring countries such as Belgium, part of Canada, a host of African nations including Bénin, Côte d'Ivoire, Gabon, Guinea, both Congos, Mali, as well as in the Arab nations of Algeria and Morocco, Haiti, etc.
Ironically, lingua franca is Latin for French language, yet today, the world's lingua franca is English.

But you're right that French is not a very significant lingua franca anymore today. Except in parts of Africa perhaps. But even in many officially francophone African countries, people are learning English. No big deal for Africans which are so used to multilinguality.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:01 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
It really depends on what reasons and career goals you have.

If it is something in the intel communtiy, then obviously things like farsi, arabic, etc.. would be very good to know.

As far as business, english is the language of business but you need to have a specific area of interest or concentration for you to decide.

Do not look at just numbers of speakers, you have to look at economic power of the speaking countries also. For example, though spanish is widely spoken, its combined economic power is low as compared to other countries, Brazil speaks portugese and Mexico is the largest spanish speaking economy.

I speak russian, but the former USSR is my area of operations. Plus many in China and India along with eastern Europe speak russin also though english is more predominate in China and almost universal in India among anyone with an education.

My wife speaks many languages, russian, hindi, urdu, farsi and some turkish. As far as useful, we will see when college is done!

But learning a second language is great and getting to use it is even better.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:33 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
You forgot German; it's very useful not only in Germany (3rd or 4th economic power) Austria , Switzerland but it's the lingua franca of the whole of Central Europe, Baltic countries, Balkan countries, and even Turkey (a lot of turkish workers in Germany and German tourists in Turkey); you may add Italy and Spain (Germans say jokingly that Mallorca is the 18th State of the FRG). Add to this the NL (Dutch and German are very near, most Dutch understand a bit of German), the Eastern part of Belgium, and in Africa (yes, Africa!) Namibia (former German colony, German widespread), the Cape province in South Africa (a lot of German immigrants), southern Brazil (where there is even a Bavarian town where German is second official language, called Blumenau).
I think German is a very (if seldom choosed) bet , especially for an English speaker (Saxon language as well) and has a much underseved reputation of being difficult.
Did you know that close to 300 million people speak or at least understand German in the world ? secret tip : if you travel to Russia, German is well considered in that country right now in spite of History, and there are many offspring of "Rußlanddeutsche" (German Russian) in many regions. So why bother to learn Russian (save a few words), a very difficult language with another alphabet ? you'll always find a cultured Russian (or Ukrainian) who speaks German!

Old 05-25-2008, 10:53 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Well, I use to live in Russia and I never ran across anyone that knew german worth the darn. They teach it school but it is disregarded shortly after, my wife who is russian learned it in school and only knows a few words now. Her sister was taught english in school.

I do not understand why you think someone in Russia is only cultured if they know german.

In Ukraine, my wife's relatives kids learn english in school also.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:59 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
Maybe, but having to choose between French and German as a second foreign language (the first being Spanish I think), I would choose German hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World