Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 06:12 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,799,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Canada isn't really a country. It's a federation descended from people who wanted to remain loyal to a distant inbred monarch, and some French Catholics who had nothing in common with them, all wrapped up in impossibly miserable weather.
The same argument could be made of the US. Both Canadians and Americans are British North Americans but they split into two countries because they disagreed on whether or not to remain loyal to the British crown. They exist as two countries for that reason only. They are a result of a political dispute which led to a split.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 12:10 PM

102,200 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
Yes, Americans always say that after an election, especially if the guy they voted for lost, but they never move. Overwhelmingly more Canadians have moved to America, than Americans have moved to Canada. The list of famous, and accomplished Canadians from William Shatner (Captain Kirk) to James Naismith who moved to the USA, and invented basketball, is extensive. There are very few Americans who moved to Canada and became famous. My own father graduated in 1952 with a degree in chemical engineering from The University of Toronto, immigrated to America, shortly thereafter, because of better opportunities in the USA.
What "better opportunities"? Why does the US have more opportunities than Canada? I've always wondered about that. My father's grandfather landed in Canada with his wife, penniless, and after depending on charity for awhile, managed to immigrate to the US. I think there was rural homesteading going on back then, so they were able to get some land for free.

People don't move in droves after a disappointing election because it's tough to get a residency/immigration visa to Canada. Otherwise they'd move in droves. Your father got into the US, because of his chemical engineering degree, no doubt. It's not the chemical engineers or civil engineers who want to move from the US to Canada, generally speaking. It's misguided unskilled or minimally skilled workers with dreams about getting "free stuff", as well as people looking for a more consistently liberal political climate (which may or may not be another uninformed belief about Canada).

Old 12-19-2021, 12:13 PM

102,200 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Canada isn't really a country. It's a federation descended from people who wanted to remain loyal to a distant inbred monarch, and some French Catholics who had nothing in common with them, all wrapped up in impossibly miserable weather.
lol. Canada isn't a country, it's just an overseas province of jolly old England? And Australia and New Zealand aren't countries, either? I don't think their Prime Ministers got that memo.

I wouldn't post around the Canada or Aus/NZ forums here, if I were you...

Old 12-19-2021, 12:54 PM

910 posts, read 367,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What "better opportunities"? Why does the US have more opportunities than Canada? I've always wondered about that. My father's grandfather landed in Canada with his wife, penniless, and after depending on charity for awhile, managed to immigrate to the US. I think there was rural homesteading going on back then, so they were able to get some land for free.

People don't move in droves after a disappointing election because it's tough to get a residency/immigration visa to Canada. Otherwise they'd move in droves. Your father got into the US, because of his chemical engineering degree, no doubt. It's not the chemical engineers or civil engineers who want to move from the US to Canada, generally speaking. It's misguided unskilled or minimally skilled workers with dreams about getting "free stuff", as well as people looking for a more consistently liberal political climate (which may or may not be another uninformed belief about Canada).
You must remember this was in the early 1950's, when Toronto was not the boom town it is today. My father did initially work for Canada Packers for about 3 years, before he made the move to Philadelphia, which was a far bigger economic powerhouse, at that time, then Toronto. He got several job offers in the Philly area paying much more than he made at Canada Packers. Also, health care was not an issue at the time, because the corporation provided great health care, at no out of pocket expenses to my father, this was before copays. Also, Canada didn't quite have the healthcare system back then, that it does today. He worked for that company for 40 years. They were certainly different times! I disagree with you about one thing, Americans would never move to Canada in droves, even if they could.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:10 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
If it's been mentioned I missed it but I think a huge reason for this is that the US has way more residents of Mexican origin than of Canadian origin, and the former often stand out way more from a cultural, ethnic and linguistic perspective.

Also, large areas of the US used to be part of Mexico and still retain some of that flavour, which tends to be more pronounced as well as Mexico within its own borders tends to feel more "Mexican" than most of Canada feels "Canadian" even on its home turf.

Old 12-20-2021, 09:57 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,060,755 times
As a Brit, I don’t quite understand the negativity towards Canada. Look at the outstanding scenery that they have at their National Parks, for instance.

Also, I quite like the Canadian accent. It’s hard to distinguish it from an American accent sometimes. But it sounds like a more softer American accent.

Old 12-20-2021, 10:25 AM

910 posts, read 367,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
As a Brit, I don’t quite understand the negativity towards Canada. Look at the outstanding scenery that they have at their National Parks, for instance.

Also, I quite like the Canadian accent. It’s hard to distinguish it from an American accent sometimes. But it sounds like a more softer American accent.
The Canadian accent is similar to an American northern mid-west accent, with the exception of the "aye" "ay" or "eh" after everything. My mother had a Canadian accent, and she always said "aye" "ay" or "eh" when looking for a verbal confirmation, or you don't understand something, or you just want the person you're speaking with to respond. Sort of like when the British say "sorry" all the time. Like what are they sorry about? I agree with you the Canadian accent is softer, as I have the much stronger Philly accent, which sounds harsher. Of course, Canada is one of the most beautiful countries in the world, with stunning scenery.

Last edited by vindag; 12-20-2021 at 10:33 AM..

Old 12-20-2021, 10:53 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,060,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
The Canadian accent is similar to an American northern mid-west accent, with the exception of the "aye" "ay" or "eh" after everything. My mother had a Canadian accent, and she always said "aye" "ay" or "eh" when looking for a verbal confirmation, or you don't understand something, or you just want the person you're speaking with to respond. Sort of like when the British say "sorry" all the time. Like what are they sorry about? I agree with you the Canadian accent is softer, as I have the much stronger Philly accent, which sounds harsher. Of course, Canada is one of the most beautiful countries in the world, with stunning scenery.
Eh?

I’m not sure why us Brits say “Sorry” all the time. But we even apologise for things that are not even our fault. Like when someone else bumps into us, then we say “Sorry”, as well as them!

Yeah, like I said, it’s sometimes difficult to distinguish between American and Canadian accents. But once you know that someone is Canadian, you can sort of tell that the accent is different (slightly softer) than the American ones.

There may be many different Canadian accents of course - I wouldn’t be able to tell them apart, to be honest.

Old 12-20-2021, 11:04 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,593,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Canada is a beautiful, prosperous, progressive, very appealing country. One in which many Americans wouldn't mind living in. But sorry, Canadians, Mexico has a history. A fascinating one, if at times difficult. And a culture deeply imbedded and unique. One that is flourishing and distinct, colorful as it is influential. As well as being more populous and the place where millions and millions of americans can trace their heritage.
This. Well said. Others got close, but I think you put it the best.

Mexico, and most of Central / S. America for that matter - has a distinct culture. Canada has, by and large, the same culture as the US since both are ex-British dominions.

Old 12-20-2021, 11:22 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Eh?

I’m not sure why us Brits say “Sorry” all the time. But we even apologise for things that are not even our fault. Like when someone else bumps into us, then we say “Sorry”, as well as them!

Yeah, like I said, it’s sometimes difficult to distinguish between American and Canadian accents. But once you know that someone is Canadian, you can sort of tell that the accent is different (slightly softer) than the American ones.

There may be many different Canadian accents of course - I wouldn’t be able to tell them apart, to be honest.
"Canadian" accents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTjLSHSx6Pg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World