Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 04:52 AM

72 posts, read 107,528 times

Advertisements

I know that the DEA has cracked down severely on the overprescribing of opioids (and to lesser extent ADHD stimulants), but their 'strict' version is still far more liberal than many countries in Europe.

I spent sometime in the US as a kid and now live in Ireland with relatives on both sides. My family isn't the healthiest and people have diseases ranging from migraines, bad teeth, back pain. I don't know a single family member here that has gotten a script for oxycodone or hydrocodone after dental surgery. Even though the medicines is legal on prescription, it's restricted to people who have come out of surgeries and would only be given on a short term basis. Meanwhile, my aunt got opioids for two months back in 2017 for headaches. I also have a cousin with ADHD who had to go through an expensive process to get diagnosed with adult ADHD and can only get Ritalin. No Adderall is available here but I know many friends overseas who had no trouble getting it in college even without a prior diagnosis.

Personally, I think that adults should be allowed to put whatever drugs they want, with the enough education about the side effects. But I just wonder why the culture in America is different to the majority of countries around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2023, 07:20 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,447,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahfeehan View Post
Why is the US much more liberal with prescribing medicines than other countries?
Through the advertising and other common commercial inducements.
The patients 'learn' to expect a pharmaceutical component to whatever their treatment need is ...
and the patients 'learn' to ask for the prescriptions they see advertised on the telly.

LINK to youtube example posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akHe34P8wwg

Old 02-15-2023, 08:13 AM

2,222 posts, read 974,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Through the advertising and other common commercial inducements.
The patients 'learn' to expect a pharmaceutical component to whatever their treatment need is ...
and the patients 'learn' to ask for the prescriptions they see advertised on the telly.

LINK to youtube example posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akHe34P8wwg
Yes...all those pharma TV commercials..."Tell your doctor...."

So the patient sees his or her doctor...."I was watching TV last night and I think I need ....
....fill in the blank... (usually a very strange pill name) ..."

Old 02-15-2023, 08:47 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,447,203 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAgkuoP2Qzk

Old 02-15-2023, 08:57 AM

5,010 posts, read 569,140 times
Default Why is the US much more liberal with prescribing medicines than other countries?

Not liberal with prescribing benzodiazepines though...US doctors will no longer give them to you even if your anxiety is crippling or you suffer from panic attacks.

Whereas here, in my country the need for these meds is recognized...I've been taking benzos for years.

Old 02-15-2023, 10:57 AM

102,059 posts, read 106,854,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
Not liberal with prescribing benzodiazepines though...US doctors will no longer give them to you even if your anxiety is crippling or you suffer from panic attacks.

Whereas here, in my country the need for these meds is recognized...I've been taking benzos for years.
This. Certain "normal" common drugs now are considered highly restricted substances: various sleep aids, benzodiazepines (i.e valium, diazapam, lorazapam, etc.), and muscle relaxants. Of course the need for these is recognized; valium used to be given away like candy almost, in the 1940's and 50's to stressed housewives. The problem with it and other benzodiazepines is, that the body develops a tolerance for it very quickly, which means people using it too regularly, i.e. daily or even a few times/week end up having to raise their dosage. This category of drugs is highly addictive.

Does the medical system in your country not recognize the risk of addiction with some of these? Clearly it does regarding opioids.

Actually, there are doctors in the US that will prescribe the various restricted drugs, if they know their patient well and know s/he will only use the prescription/s sparingly, IOW if the patient only comes in to renew a 1-time-only prescription once or twice/year. Some doctors are fine with prescribing on a case-by-case basis, depending on the patient.

Old 02-15-2023, 11:09 AM

102,059 posts, read 106,854,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post

Actually, OP, some doctors believe that benzodiazepines and certain sleep aids can trigger processes leading to dementia in older patients. That's another reason why some doctors decline to prescribe those medicines.

Old 02-15-2023, 11:25 AM

5,010 posts, read 569,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Does the medical system in your country not recognize the risk of addiction with some of these?
Yes.

And what's equally bad is when the familiar dose is significantly cut down and withdrawal symptoms emerge. Benzo withdrawal can be particularly dangerous and even life-threatening.

Old 02-16-2023, 05:22 AM

26,876 posts, read 13,094,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahfeehan View Post
I know that the DEA has cracked down severely on the overprescribing of opioids (and to lesser extent ADHD stimulants), but their 'strict' version is still far more liberal than many countries in Europe.

I spent sometime in the US as a kid and now live in Ireland with relatives on both sides. My family isn't the healthiest and people have diseases ranging from migraines, bad teeth, back pain. I don't know a single family member here that has gotten a script for oxycodone or hydrocodone after dental surgery. Even though the medicines is legal on prescription, it's restricted to people who have come out of surgeries and would only be given on a short term basis. Meanwhile, my aunt got opioids for two months back in 2017 for headaches. I also have a cousin with ADHD who had to go through an expensive process to get diagnosed with adult ADHD and can only get Ritalin. No Adderall is available here but I know many friends overseas who had no trouble getting it in college even without a prior diagnosis.

Personally, I think that adults should be allowed to put whatever drugs they want, with the enough education about the side effects. But I just wonder why the culture in America is different to the majority of countries around the world.
Aggressive marketing, advertising and medical sales teams coupled with incentives given to doctors and deals between pharma and the US healthcare industry mean that certain pharma drugs are prioritised.

The same happens in other countries, but no where near to the extent it happens in the US.

In terms of the history of the opioid crisis, you just need to google Purdue Pharma and the Sackler family.

Old 03-14-2023, 07:33 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,487,594 times
I'm not sure pharmaceutical ads aimed at the general public have much of an impact on Schedule II controlled drugs. At least I've never seen any for opioids or amphetamine type stimulants.

I do know that, "because reasons", many more people got Adderall prescriptions during the pandemic. The DEA hasn't so much cracked down on the existing population of patients, as it has declined to allow increased production to meet the new demand. So now there's a shortage affecting everyone.

I finally did get some Adderall about three weeks ago, but have wisely pared down my dosage to make it last. I now find that my pharmacy has again run out, and will maybe get some about a month from now. So I'm paring it down even more... Really, what's the point anymore? For the sake of the children, I can't have my medication.

Last edited by Those Who Squirm; 03-14-2023 at 07:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World