Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather visit an Islamic state or an Atheist state?
Islamic State(s) - i.e. Afghanistan, Brunei, Yemen, etc 3 10.34%
Atheist State(s) - i.e. China, Cuba, Vietnam, etc 26 89.66%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 01:01 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,047,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Hard to say. At least in the Islamic countries it might be easier for one to practice their faith such as Christianity compared to an Atheist nation where the totalitarian state has more of a grip on how people are able to think.
This is true.
Christians have been lining in majority Muslim countries for centuries.
The problem is economic squeeze in many Muslim countries that has resulted in corruption and lack of resources - but note that this is NOT a problem of Muslim bounties alone - this is the problem of the entire third world - and Muslim countries and many Christian and non-religious counties are part of the third world. And they all have the same problem - lack of resources - and widespread corruption.

A few prominent Christian folks from UK have recently moved to Dubai due to the LGBT woke agenda being pushed down the throats of small kids in the schools in UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 05:31 AM

5,361 posts, read 3,539,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Hard to say. At least in the Islamic countries it might be easier for one to practice their faith such as Christianity compared to an Atheist nation where the totalitarian state has more of a grip on how people are able to think.
are you absolutely sure of that? I doubt you would be able to practice Christian faith in an Islamic country.

Old 10-23-2023, 09:54 AM

560 posts, read 204,896 times
It's not really a good comparison as you are comparing various political and cultural spheres. Not all of them suppress religion. But how do you compare Vietnam, with all it's free flowing and hedonistic beach resorts catering to Western tourists, to North Korea?
I've been to Vietnam, Cambodia, PRC...I don't agree with their politics (exception is Cambodia as a constitutional monarchy), but they are great to visit, and most are religious in spite of the government policies. In N. Korea, the government IS the religion.

As far as the muslim countries you have listed, I think only two are Islamic Theocracies - that would be Iran and Afghanistan. I wouldn't visit them because, like North Korea, the chances of leaving there alive is limited. Plus sometimes I just need a place to get a cold brew from time to time!

Old 10-23-2023, 11:07 AM

14,634 posts, read 14,728,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
There should be a third choice.....neither...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
My thoughts exactly. They both sound equally terrible.
Neither one is a good enough choice for me to visit because both attitudes are hostile, suspicious, arrogant, rigidly unwelcoming of strangers and do sound equally terrible, with the arrogant and patronizing attitude of Christianity coming in a close third right behind them. But a recognized secular country where people are easy-going and open minded and any religious or non-religious belief is accepted with equanimity would be a good choice for me to visit. Oh, wait ....... I already live in a recognized secular country that is fantastic and I love it so I think I'll just stay right here at home. Seriously, who needs the hassle of travelling to visit countries that are closed minded and hostile? What's the point?

Old 10-24-2023, 03:32 PM

560 posts, read 204,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I think it’s a mistake to view countries like China and North Korea as atheist, which is little more than a rejection of a deity.
In China and North Korea, the government is essentially the state religion.

Old 10-25-2023, 04:14 AM

wherever you go you will stand out a mile from the locals and you will forever be "the foreigner" and watched closely, in some countries by the secret police or govt agents. not recommended.

Old 10-25-2023, 04:54 PM

5,674 posts, read 4,831,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
are you absolutely sure of that? I doubt you would be able to practice Christian faith in an Islamic country.
It depends on which Muslim country I suppose, but there are a few with a sizable Christian minority such as Egypt where 13% of the country is Christian (10% are Coptic). Egypt has a total of 109,500,000 people meaning 14,235,000 are Christian. Meaning more Christian’s live in Egypt than the entire population of Greece (10,482,487)

Old 10-26-2023, 04:42 AM

no thanks, I am happy in the country I was born in.

Old 11-04-2023, 04:25 PM

1,756 posts, read 2,508,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowlander67 View Post
There are countries with a majority of non-believers which are not communist countries like the Netherlands, Sweden and the Czech Republic.

These countries are also very moderate, safe western nations.
I guess the question is about the state, not the people.
Things are distinct. Norway is a Christian state, but with a large bunch of non-believers. While Turkey is a secular state with most of population being muslim.

Old 11-04-2023, 11:03 PM

4,760 posts, read 5,384,139 times
You absolutely could include evangelical states in the United States as well. You can claim you are a Christian, but the bible says if you don't love the people you see, you are a liar. So, I think it's hypocritical to point out other nations when Western nations have major problems at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World