Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2023, 09:57 AM

5,314 posts, read 5,034,411 times

Advertisements

I tried to find answers for this online, but couldn't really get much good info. Comparing 2023 with 1950 and 1850, have people been migrating towards more arid environments or ones that are wet? Percentage wise, which environment has more people now compared to say 1850?

I know the birth rates may be higher in one set than another, but I'm curious where people end up gravitating towards given their own choice? Looking at domestic migration patterns in countries like Mexico, the US, Peru, China, India, and Australia that have both types of environments, which are expanding faster?

For international migration, there's places like the Arabian peninsula that have exploded in population where there was hardly any people before, but there's also just a heck of a lot of people in places like SE Asia that may just swarm out those numbers on the whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2023, 09:42 PM

1,615 posts, read 815,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I tried to find answers for this online, but couldn't really get much good info. Comparing 2023 with 1950 and 1850, have people been migrating towards more arid environments or ones that are wet? Percentage wise, which environment has more people now compared to say 1850?

I know the birth rates may be higher in one set than another, but I'm curious where people end up gravitating towards given their own choice? Looking at domestic migration patterns in countries like Mexico, the US, Peru, China, India, and Australia that have both types of environments, which are expanding faster?

For international migration, there's places like the Arabian peninsula that have exploded in population where there was hardly any people before, but there's also just a heck of a lot of people in places like SE Asia that may just swarm out those numbers on the whole.
Interesting question. It seems like in the U.S. people have been migrating to more arid environments. Just look at the growth of Phoenix and Las Vegas in the last century. A course America's deserts are different from others due to there being a water supply nearby. For the rest of the world, I can't say there is a trend for growth in arid areas. China seems to be encouraging it population to move further inland not sure on how successful its been. In regards to the desert countries exploding in population, this isn't so much migration, but rather births.

Old 10-02-2023, 09:01 AM

9,770 posts, read 14,606,230 times
While there are more people migrating across international borders now than ever, the amount of people as a percentage of the population is actually quite small. In the same sense, the vast majority of countries aren't receiving a massive number of immigrants (legal and illegal.) Countries like the USA are extremely rare. As such, 100 years from now most people in most countries will have the predominant features that you see in most people there today. Again, the exception are places like the USA which is currently going through a demographic change, largely induced by itself (politics) and not that there is some environmental or security (ie. war) situation affecting an immediate neighbor.

I guess it's natural for Americans to be quick in thinking that most countries are receiving massive number of immigrants, that most countries are going through a demographic change, etc; but in reality that isn't the case. Most people stay put where they are and most countries don't have an immigration and/or emigration problem.

Very few countries have also gone through a demographic change as the USA is going through right now, though in that case it's mostly the population of a neighboring country flooding in, not the populations of many countries around the world entering as the door seems wide open.

Climate change, particularly if a place gets wetter or drier, is not so much of people going from one area to another, but rather of those differences going to where they are.

Old 10-03-2023, 09:01 AM

5,314 posts, read 5,034,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
While there are more people migrating across international borders now than ever, the amount of people as a percentage of the population is actually quite small. In the same sense, the vast majority of countries aren't receiving a massive number of immigrants (legal and illegal.) Countries like the USA are extremely rare. As such, 100 years from now most people in most countries will have the predominant features that you see in most people there today. Again, the exception are places like the USA which is currently going through a demographic change, largely induced by itself (politics) and not that there is some environmental or security (ie. war) situation affecting an immediate neighbor.

I guess it's natural for Americans to be quick in thinking that most countries are receiving massive number of immigrants, that most countries are going through a demographic change, etc; but in reality that isn't the case. Most people stay put where they are and most countries don't have an immigration and/or emigration problem.

Very few countries have also gone through a demographic change as the USA is going through right now, though in that case it's mostly the population of a neighboring country flooding in, not the populations of many countries around the world entering as the door seems wide open.

Climate change, particularly if a place gets wetter or drier, is not so much of people going from one area to another, but rather of those differences going to where they are.
True, there just % isn't that much movement. I guess I was more concerned with domestic migration, say like for Peru, are Peruvians moving to the rainforest side of their country or moving from the rainforest side to the drier coastal side?

Old 10-03-2023, 02:40 PM

27,220 posts, read 28,295,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
It isn't arid where I live.

We get about 44 inches of rain and 26 inches of snow every year.

I live in Maryland, and people everywhere should know who Maryland was named after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World