Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 02:30 PM

21,426 posts, read 12,389,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
You haven’t traveled a lot if you think any of those cities a “bottom of the barrel” on global scale.
Baltimroe is pretty bad for any OECD nation. Been to a few countries Turkey, Spain, South Africa, Senegal Puerto Rico.

Honestly, the worse neighborhood in Cape Town (Salt River/WoodStock not the flats) is better than like 1/2 the Baltimore neighborhoods.

Most of Dakar felt nicer than much of Baltimore. Downtown was easily safer and more walkable. And better nightlife and it had an awesome beach. Not saying its better overall but I surely remember it more fondly and its not a blow out for Baltimore. Madrid and Istanbul clear it easily.

Not sure why Baltimore is on this list. It cant possibly be on this list if Cape Town isnt- and Ive been ALL over Cape town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2023, 02:37 PM

8,196 posts, read 5,312,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Baltimroe is pretty bad for any OECD nation. Been to a few countries Turkey, Spain, South Africa, Senegal Puerto Rico.

Honestly, the worse neighborhood in Cape Town (Salt River/WoodStock not the flats) is better than like 1/2 the Baltimore neighborhoods.

Most of Dakar felt nicer than much of Baltimore. Downtown was easily safer and more walkable. And better nightlife and it had an awesome beach. Not saying its better overall but I surely remember it more fondly and its not a blow out for Baltimore. Madrid and Istanbul clear it easily.

Not sure why Baltimore is on this list. It cant possibly be on this list if Cape Town isnt- and Ive been ALL over Cape town.
Cape Town has the largest number of murders of any city on earth. Like you, Ive been to Cape Town though I wouldn't say I have been all over. I never went to the Cape Flats. One thing about Cape Town is it is the most segregated place on earth. There are parts that are super nice and walkable and then there are places that, no exaggeration, are less safe than Somalia.

I get that Cape Town and Baltimore have similar murder rates but TBH I don't believe that the worst neighborhoods in Cape Town are better than the worst neighborhoods in Baltimore. A lot of those neighborhoods in Cape Town dont even have running water.

Old 10-03-2023, 02:49 PM

16,826 posts, read 14,977,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Why do people think Florida is even habitable?

Stick to your swamp bubble, okay?
I'm not the biggest fan, but to be fair, the cities are VERY clean, and quite modern and progressive by American standards.
For half of the year, the weather is perfect. For the other half, yeah it's insanely hot/humid, but let's not act like Northern cities aren't just as bad for a good 3 months of the year. Let's not get into the arid messes that can be in AZ and parts of Texas. It's really not that bad. Orlando in particular has stepped it up considerably in the past 20 years.

Old 10-03-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Cape Town has the largest number of murders of any city on earth. Like you, Ive been to Cape Town though I wouldn't say I have been all over. I never went to the Cape Flats. One thing about Cape Town is it is the most segregated place on earth. There are parts that are super nice and walkable and then there are places that, no exaggeration, are less safe than Somalia.

I get that Cape Town and Baltimore have similar murder rates but TBH I don't believe that the worst neighborhoods in Cape Town are better than the worst neighborhoods in Baltimore. A lot of those neighborhoods in Cape Town dont even have running water.
It is because Capetown Counts all of its flats...so the population gets up to 4 M. City proper though its like 450k-500k

Everywhere you're talking about is the Flats. So I guess I get it.

I was in Nyanga working at the iKamva Youth Fpundation in the Cape flats and virtually everywhere else. I lived in Mowbray and Observatory I was on the bus, on the jtineys, on the train. I ate the street food, walked alot everythiing.

But oh my god,it blows Baltimore OUT the water. Named best city to visit in the world in 2014 by NYTimes and again in 2016 by the DailyBeast.

The Flats are practically different part than Cape Town proper. There are many apartments and places in Baltimore without running water, functioning pipes (they have to be brought up and run along the street) or traffic lights.

I also did not find it that segregated. Veyr diverse even in formerly white areas with the exception of like Hout Bay and Camps Bay. vs the Flats are segregated for sure(several falts are very nice materially, but gang ridden... a la Athlone)

I spent 7 months. 2 of which in dodgy areas never had a detective come to my door inquiring about murders. Never got followed and threatened with a gone. Better Roads, Food, better-educated populace.

Capetown Basically just incorporates its entire suburban area into one large thing... But places like Century City, Gardens, Rondebosch, even Mowbray and Obs are so much better than Baltimore.

Old 10-03-2023, 03:05 PM

4,185 posts, read 3,214,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Hmm.

Austin higher than Vancouver, Houston, Philadelphia and Montreal?

Who compiled this list? A recently graduated binge drinker who now works in tech? LOL
You don't agree that Austin should be ranked higher than Hong Kong?

I'm sure a plate of those famous breakfast tacos and a stroll down 6th street on a Friday night would change that!

Old 10-03-2023, 03:09 PM

2,739 posts, read 2,371,947 times
Quote:

Cape Town and South Africa is incredibly violent but it clears Baltimore in any comparison tbf.

Old 10-03-2023, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Cape Town and South Africa is incredibly violent but it clears Baltimore in any comparison tbf.
Is Cape Town worse than JoBurg in terms of violence now?

But yea its really mostly all that comes down to the Cape Flats. At least that's how my 7 months there felt. I was never sure if they were included in Cape Town proper, but I guess they are. I always saw and considered the "Northern Suburbs region and Southern Suburbs region as part of the city with the lats occupying a majority of land to the immeidate North/East. Baltimore crimes seem to be wide spread throughout the City of Baltimore- when you look at homicide maps over the years.

Other than that there not one QOL or practical way Baltimore wins- probably just GDP per capita. But it's behind on anything I can think of from transit to recreation to nightlife to diversity.

Old 10-03-2023, 03:26 PM

8,196 posts, read 5,312,911 times
Quote:
Is Cape Town worse than JoBurg in terms of violence now?
In terms of murder it is.

The difference between the two is that the violence is much more spread out in Johannesburg. You have bad neighborhoods right next to good ones and there is a lot of spillover. Smash and Grabs are much worse in Joburg too.

But in terms of murder, Cape Town is far worse and it is because the bad areas of Cape Town (predominantly the Flats) are far worse than a place Alexandria or Hillbrow.

Old 10-03-2023, 03:59 PM

469 posts, read 264,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
How do Baltimore, NOLA, and Philly even make the list?
Have you ever been to Philly? It's laughable to put it below Orlando. IMO it's better than Atlanta too unless you love massive highways separating all of your neighborhoods, but to each their own.

Old 10-03-2023, 04:02 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,730,575 times
Lol, Austin ranks high because it was #6 for Google searches and Orlando ranked high based on Trip Adviser reviews.

Take the list for what it's worth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World