Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 04:12 PM

190 posts, read 63,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Just another list full of subjective opinions. All good to ignore.
Their "methodology" is pretty close to "Live, Love, Laugh".

https://www.worldsbestcities.com/methodology-2024/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2023, 04:13 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,017 posts, read 7,400,564 times
No Medellin, Colombia over 100 of these cities? I'm done. Throw the list away.

Old 10-03-2023, 04:18 PM

3,409 posts, read 2,214,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Is Cape Town worse than JoBurg in terms of violence now?

But yea its really mostly all that comes down to the Cape Flats. At least that's how my 7 months there felt. I was never sure if they were included in Cape Town proper, but I guess they are. I always saw and considered the "Northern Suburbs region and Southern Suburbs region as part of the city with the lats occupying a majority of land to the immeidate North/East. Baltimore crimes seem to be wide spread throughout the City of Baltimore- when you look at homicide maps over the years.

Other than that there not one QOL or practical way Baltimore wins- probably just GDP per capita.But it's behind on anything I can think of from transit to recreation to nightlife to diversity.
Apart from basic things like life expectancy or health care. I know for sure which one I’d rather have surgery in if I was shot.

All morbid jokes aside Cape Town is significantly bigger then Baltimore so it out muscling it on metrics shouldn’t come off as surprising.

Last edited by Joakim3; 10-03-2023 at 04:29 PM..

Old 10-03-2023, 05:01 PM

2,264 posts, read 2,160,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
NOLA, definitely. Philly is properly rated. Baltimore, idk bout that one.
On a global scale though? I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Why do people think Florida is even habitable?

Stick to your swamp bubble, okay?
I didn't claim my swamp bubble is top 100 either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
You haven’t traveled a lot if you think any of those cities a “bottom of the barrel” on global scale.
Actually, I have traveled a lot. Which is why I know Baltimore, NOLA, and Philly aren't top 100 material. I didn't say they're terrible, but definitely not top 100 worldwide.

Old 10-03-2023, 06:45 PM

8,516 posts, read 10,033,569 times
Crap list.

Old 10-03-2023, 06:52 PM

7,246 posts, read 10,486,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Actually, I have traveled a lot. Which is why I know Baltimore, NOLA, and Philly aren't top 100 material. I didn't say they're terrible, but definitely not top 100 worldwide.
Like everything in life, your mile may vary, but this is presumably based on objective data.

Baltimore, NOLA, and Philly take a lot of flack (and obviously not entirely without reason), but their worst features are sensationalized, while their best features are diminished (especially Baltimore).

I also think Americans look at everything from a lens of financial privilege. The fact of the matter is all three of these cities are far more livable, offer more opportunity, and have far more resources than the vast majority of cities across the globe, by virtue of being American.

And I'm not advocating "American exceptionalism," but there's no doubt the baseline standard of living is much higher in even America's "worst off" cities than most of the world.

Old 10-03-2023, 08:28 PM

2,264 posts, read 2,160,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Like everything in life, your mile may vary, but this is presumably based on objective data.

Baltimore, NOLA, and Philly take a lot of flack (and obviously not entirely without reason), but their worst features are sensationalized, while their best features are diminished (especially Baltimore).

I also think Americans look at everything from a lens of financial privilege. The fact of the matter is all three of these cities are far more livable, offer more opportunity, and have far more resources than the vast majority of cities across the globe, by virtue of being American.

And I'm not advocating "American exceptionalism," but there's no doubt the baseline standard of living is much higher in even America's "worst off" cities than most of the world.
I appreciate the points you make. However, it’s a very big world! I think “best” cities would be some combination of global importance and quality of life. I thought more about this, and Philadelphia might make the top 100. I wouldn’t argue strongly for or against that. The other two are still definite no’s for me. They’re not particularly important and don’t offer that great of QOL.

There are a lot of other cities that have better QOL, mostly in Western Europe and East Asia. However, the premier city of a lot of developing counties have greater significance and good QOL. Kuala Lumpur and Montevideo are two examples that I’d rate above the three US cities in question. It’s debatable though, particularly with Philly.

Last edited by FL_Expert; 10-03-2023 at 08:48 PM..

Old 10-03-2023, 09:46 PM

787 posts, read 447,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Cape Town and South Africa is incredibly violent but it clears Baltimore in any comparison tbf.
South Africa is violent, but also has the best reporting/statistics infrastructure on the continent. They don't hide their problems. Beautiful country and definitely recommend visiting, just like how thousands of Americans visit Mexico every year.

Personally, I prefer JoBurg over Cape Town. It feels more like a metropolis and less boutique-y, but both are worth a visit.

Old 10-03-2023, 09:47 PM

787 posts, read 447,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I appreciate the points you make. However, it’s a very big world! I think “best” cities would be some combination of global importance and quality of life. I thought more about this, and Philadelphia might make the top 100. I wouldn’t argue strongly for or against that. The other two are still definite no’s for me. They’re not particularly important and don’t offer that great of QOL.

There are a lot of other cities that have better QOL, mostly in Western Europe and East Asia. However, the premier city of a lot of developing counties have greater significance and good QOL. Kuala Lumpur and Montevideo are two examples that I’d rate above the three US cities in question. It’s debatable though, particularly with Philly.
What jobs are in Montevideo? Stable nice city and country (Uruguay), but many go to Chile, Argentina, and Brazil for opportunities. I'd take Baltimore, Philly any day.

Old 10-04-2023, 06:23 AM

8,868 posts, read 8,338,951 times
Cringe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World