Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2023, 06:28 AM

26,873 posts, read 13,088,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Yeah, the flashy lights were like NYC/Vegas. Ginza reminded me a lot of Madison Ave. A couple of the parks reminded me of Central Park... It's a lot like NY, sprawled out like LA.

I'm looking forward to visiting Kyoto pretty soon to get more of a historic Japanese experience.
In terms of flashing lights, it's more just giant LED Screens these days, and LED is increasingly taking over from traditional lights and signage across the world.

In London which has a long history of signage and neon lights, you now have ever expanding digital LED screens, and the same is happening in other cities.

As for NYC Central Park, the great Frederick Law Olmsted drew inspiration from parks in England and more specifically Joseph Paxton's earlier Birkenhead Park near Liverpool, and there is of course another more recent link to the Liverpool area in relation to the Strawberry Fields memorial.

The Parks That Made the Man Who Made Central Park - The New York Times (2019)

In terms of LED Screens there are new screens being constructed at Piccadilly Circus, with signage (LED) once again being placed back on other buildings across from the main screen.

A dynamic addition at the heart of the West End - Criterion Capital

Whilst there are numerous LED Screens in cities, with operators such as Ocean, and below is a list of some of the locations and projects in London and other parts of the UK.

Ocean Outdoor | The Art of Outdoor | Locations UK

There's also Outernet in Tottenham Court Road area of London, with a number of similar Outernet projects planned for New York, LA and across Europe

Outernet Global Partners With Technicolor for the Future of Immersive Entertainment - Technicolour

Outernet plans Global roll out of immersive media districts - Globetrender (2023)

Whilst Madison Square Garden have submitted plans for spherical lit up dome at Stratford in London's East End, which will be similar to the one recently opened in Las Vegas.

London Set To Get Its Own Las Vegas-Style ‘Crystal Ball’ - Secret London (3rd October 2023)

Piccadilly Circus Timeline Video showing the changing nature of signage and the move away from traditional signage towards LED signs in recent decades. Personally, whilst I think LED signage is much better technically and offers superb displays, it doers lack some of the charm of the more traditional bright lights and signage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhbXdwqZ42Y

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-13-2023 at 07:52 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2023, 08:07 AM

6,186 posts, read 11,790,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
In terms of flashing lights, it's more just giant LED Screens these days, and LED is increasingly taking over from traditional lights and signage across the world.

In London which has a long history of signage and neon lights, you now have ever expanding digital LED screens, and the same is happening in other cities.

As for NYC Central Park, the great Frederick Law Olmsted drew inspiration from parks in England and more specifically Joseph Paxton's earlier Birkenhead Park near Liverpool, and there is of course another more recent link to the Liverpool area in relation to the Strawberry Fields memorial.

The Parks That Made the Man Who Made Central Park - The New York Times (2019)

In terms of LED Screens there are new screens being constructed at Piccadilly Circus, with signage (LED) once again being placed back on other buildings across from the main screen.

A dynamic addition at the heart of the West End - Criterion Capital

Whilst there are numerous LED Screens in cities, with operators such as Ocean, and below is a list of some of the locations and projects in London and other parts of the UK.

Ocean Outdoor | The Art of Outdoor | Locations UK

There's also Outernet in Tottenham Court Road area of London, with a number of similar Outernet projects planned for New York, LA and across Europe

Outernet Global Partners With Technicolor for the Future of Immersive Entertainment - Technicolour

Outernet plans Global roll out of immersive media districts - Globetrender (2023)

Whilst Madison Square Garden have submitted plans for spherical lit up dome at Stratford in London's East End, which will be similar to the one recently opened in Las Vegas.

London Set To Get Its Own Las Vegas-Style ‘Crystal Ball’ - Secret London (3rd October 2023)

Piccadilly Circus Timeline Video showing the changing nature of signage and the move away from traditional signage towards LED signs in recent decades. Personally, whilst I think LED signage is much better technically and offers superb displays, it doers lack some of the charm of the more traditional bright lights and signage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhbXdwqZ42Y
That's why I thought Tokyo back in the 1980's was more like Vegas. The flashing neon lights was something unique back then. NYC's Times Square had those too. But since about 2000 Tokyo became known for having giant video screens, particularly in the famous Shibuya scramble crossing. Other parts of Tokyo has those as well.

I remember about 15-20 years ago when we started to have LED billboards on freeways and I was thinking "Woah! It's like the future!" lol

Old 10-13-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
That's why I thought Tokyo back in the 1980's was more like Vegas. The flashing neon lights was something unique back then. NYC's Times Square had those too. But since about 2000 Tokyo became known for having giant video screens, particularly in the famous Shibuya scramble crossing. Other parts of Tokyo has those as well.

I remember about 15-20 years ago when we started to have LED billboards on freeways and I was thinking "Woah! It's like the future!" lol
There is the "Woah"! factor, and it is amazing especially some of the 3D images, however there is a part of me that still likes the charms of the old signs and neon lights before they started plastering LED Screens to buildings or replaced advertising billboards with them. Then again that's just my subjective opinion, and in terms of the actual images and technical capabilities, LED is amazing.

Old 10-13-2023, 12:37 PM

A compilation of some of the 3D Images on the Piccadilly Circus 3D Screen in London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR5wzYGN2Go

Europe's Largest LED Ceiling is to open at Manchester's Iconic Printworks in 2024.

Transforming Printworks 2024 - Manchester Printworks

The Screen @ Printworks, Manchester - Ocean Locations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_e05bbsK7k

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-13-2023 at 12:45 PM..

Old 10-14-2023, 12:07 PM

There is actually a neon sign museum in Walthamstow in London, known as 'Gods Own Junkyard'.

This Neon Wonderland Is Guaranteed To Light Up Your Life • God’s Own Junkyard - Secret London (26th September 2023)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jZOWp_yeBo

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-14-2023 at 01:00 PM..

Old 10-14-2023, 05:47 PM

Las Vegas, is without doubt the global epicentre of the Neon Sign, and they have a very impressive Neon Museum, which looks fantastic when lit up at night.

The Neon Museum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrpKpIqYmcg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY3o8vMY8zo

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-14-2023 at 06:05 PM..

Old 10-14-2023, 05:54 PM

There's also a Museum of Neon Art (MONA) in Glendale, California.

Welcome to MONA

As was as the Neon Museum, Warsaw in Poland, which documents and protects Polish and Eastern Bloc light advertisements created after World War II.

Neon Muzeum

Pole to Pole: 10 brilliant things to do in Poland - The Guardian (May 2023)

Anyway enough about neon signs, city lights and LED screens.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-14-2023 at 06:07 PM..

Old 10-15-2023, 06:39 AM

Another 3D LED screen advert at Piccadilly Circus in London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VfCdUtCFZ4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World