Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which amount of daylight during the winter solstice would you admit?
I hate anything shorter than 12 hours, so I always prefer the equator daylight regime. 0 0%
11 hours is fine. 2 40.00%
9 hours is ok for me 1 20.00%
8 hours is fine 1 20.00%
I can cope with 7 hours 1 20.00%
I agree with 6 hours 0 0%
Just 5 hours is fine 0 0%
Definitely a place like Iceland with only 4 hours is a good choice for me 0 0%
I would even move to the polar circles to experience polar midnight 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 06:07 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,093 posts, read 3,546,874 times

Advertisements

Let me explain further the reason for this thread.

Now it's late November, so in the Northern Hemisphere we are experiencing shorter days and longer nights, and the shortest day will be next 22 December.
So, the daylight hours are shorter the furthest north you move in the Northern Hemisphere, and the same applies in the Southern Hemisphere in during the austral winter solstice.

Everyone knows that in the equator there is always 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of nighttime all year round,.
Let's show how short the daylight is for the winter solstice as we move away from the equator:

In Dakar, Senegal, at 14 degrees north of the equator, during the winter solstice the daylight lasts about 11 hours and 15 minutes, so not much different from what happens in the equator.

In Rabat, Morocco, at 34 degrees north, during the winter solstice the daylight last 9 hours and 53 minutes.

In Madrid, Spain, at 40 degrees north, it last 9 hours and 17 minutes.

In Bordeaux, France, at 44 degrees north, it last 8 hours and 43 minutes.

In Paris, France, at 48 degrees norht, it last 8 hours and 14 minutes.

In Copenhagen, Denmark, at 55 degrees north, it last 7 hours and 1 minute.

And finally, in Reykjavik, Iceland, at 64 degrees north, and no so far away from the arctic circle, it last only 4 hours and y7 minutes on winter solstice!

Roughly the same daylight is expected at the same latitudes in the Southern Hemisphere around 20 of June every year.

So, for those who originate or live permanently anywhere between 15 degrees north and 15 degrees south of the equator and must suddenly move to another country elsewhere north or south where shorter days occurs during the solstices, and considering that you have the possibility of choice between all the cities listed above, what amount of daylight will be considered depressing when comparing it to what they've experienced their whole life when living near the equator?

Would you reject living anywhere with shorter days than your own desirable daylight?

Although the climate is also an important thing to take into account, and winter temperatures are colder once you move away from the equator, this thread is not about moving to a cold place nor to discuss about cold weather. Don't forget that for instance in NW Europe winter tend to be a little bit warmer than in North America or easter Asia at the same latitude. so getting extremely short days doesn't necessarily means bitter cold.

So, please, focus on your desirable daylight regime for the winter solstice.

Last edited by overdrive1979; 11-25-2023 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2023, 03:46 PM

10,999 posts, read 6,521,883 times
We retired from the U.S. to Ecuador so we are at the equator. We like the year-round 6:30 sunrise and sunset just fine. Nice and predictable. I wish it was less humid though.

In SoCal at the moment and don't like the early 4:30 sunset. But wow, is the weather perfect. No humidity.

Just 10X more expensive, lol.

Old 02-01-2024, 12:18 PM

983 posts, read 860,521 times
I live exactly on the Tropic of Capricorn line.
For me, in the summer the sunrise is about 5:30 am and sunset 7:00 pm, more or less, and in winter it is the opposite.

I've been to New York during the month of December and for me it was ok getting dark close 5 pm. I Think the sunrise was about 7 am.

I preferred when we had daylight saving time and the days dawned at 6:30 am and got dark just before 8:00 pm. I enjoy more the day.

Old 02-01-2024, 02:49 PM

865 posts, read 898,646 times
No idea, never lived outside the tropics.

Old 02-01-2024, 06:00 PM

14,806 posts, read 11,872,107 times
I don't live in the Tropics but I would like to say that the short mid-winter days are the worst thing about living here (SE UK), we only get 8 hours of daylight in mid-December. Thanks to the Gulf Stream the actual Winter climate itself isn't too bad, pretty mild, certainly for somewhere 50 degrees North but the lack of Winter sun is a bit of a downer, contrary to popular belief the Summers hear are pretty sunny and warm but its the Winters where we miss the sun, its so low on the horizon that even on pretty clear days with a few fluffy clouds being so close to the horizon (only 15.5 degrees at its highest on 21st December) means its often hidden even with the minimal cloud cover.

Its even worse in the North of the island, in Glasgow they get about an hour less, in the North of Scotland they only get 6 1/4 hours of daylight mid-Winter! Thanks to the Scots we 'move' the clock so that the sun sets at FOUR O'clock mid winter, if they left the clock alone it would set at 5pm here but it wouldn't rise until 9am! And in Scotland it wouldn't rise until 10am (hence moving the clock).

The short days are the worst thing about Winter, the long Summer evenings in a pub beer garden is the reverse 'bonus' of being 50 degrees North :-D

Old 02-21-2024, 11:01 AM

3,898 posts, read 6,694,817 times
I lived near the equator for my whole life, and I wouldn't accept anything less than 11 hours of sunlight per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World