U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Where to go
Bulgaria 2 14.29%
Malta 2 14.29%
Finland 7 50.00%
Other (please specify in post) 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 03:39 PM

9 posts, read 17,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Lucas, is France a possibility at all for study abroad?
My other kid majored in French and became completely fluent the year he studied abroad.
I actually think all of your current choices are fascinating, though. I had no idea that Malta was an independent country, and is even a member of the EU! It's always just sort of been in the back of my head as an interesting destination, but I had thought that it was connected to Italy.
I looked at a map, too, and agree that Finland is quite far north. I guess Bulgaria would be a more central choice, and probably cheaper, too.
Well, good luck to you whatever you choose. I would love to hear what you decide to do.
Yes, France is definitely an option. Although, I'm not sure what cities are in play. I mistyped in my original post by saying that I wanted to see E. Europe -- I meant Western, thus France would be ideal. I do want to get away from the 'mainstream' European countries somewhat. This is what drew me to these choices, so that I could live away and still visit the great cities of WESTERN Europe. Malta still interests me, it is a group of 7 islands, but still quite close to Italy et al. Bulgaria is very near Greece though, and that fascinates me. Decisions decisions.

You're children are quite the world travelers! Congratulations. I still have some thinking to do on this matter, but I will keep you updated. Thanks again for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 06:04 AM

58 posts, read 112,461 times
Since Europe (well, at least the EU) as a whole is not so big you can easily travel from pretty much everywhere. But be aware that travelling is much more expensive than in the US (e.g. gas prices are almost three times as as high as they are in the US). However, you might not want to go to to Eastern Europe without knowing the language.

Last edited by Munich; 07-09-2008 at 06:17 AM..

Old 07-09-2008, 06:05 AM

167 posts, read 341,270 times
Considering your major is international relations... not much going on in Malta, Finland might be exciting to look at for EU relations, but I'd do Bulgaria because you'd be able to research both EU relations AND Europe-Arab relations. Not that you couldn't study these from anywhere, but y'know... if you wanna become an actor, you wanna go to NY or LA, not [insert small town here]...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcLucas View Post
Given that I want to travel to WESTERN Europe, and I know Bulgaria is in the East, does anyone know how realistic it would be for me to travel to the West, possibly all the way out to the UK. I fear this would be to far a travel for say, a weekend or short break, but much of travel in Europe is beyond me right now.
The size of Europe is comparable to the U.S. (I'm making a huge assumption that you're in the U.S. based on your language concerns). So think about travelling from the East coast to the West coast. Is it doable in a weekend? Sure. But you certainly wouldn't have much time to stop and enjoy the places you pass.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:29 AM

7,338 posts, read 10,208,486 times
Quote:
Given that I want to travel to WESTERN Europe, and I know Bulgaria is in the East, does anyone know how realistic it would be for me to travel to the West, possibly all the way out to the UK. I fear this would be to far a travel for say, a weekend or short break, but much of travel in Europe is beyond me right now.
And Malta is a ferry ride away form sicily and there to Italy. Not too bad.
Thanks for your input.
Plan accordingly: That means explore countries nearby if you have less time. Eastern Europe is cheaper and has loads to see. Bulgaria itself has tons to do and see.

Save the Western Europe treks for when you have more time. Theoretically, you could hitch hike all the way to the UK, but it would require a lot of time and patience.

Ultimately, choose quality over quantity. Better to spend more time in less places than trying to cram as many countries as possible into your itinerary.

Look into ride shares, cheap buses and rail passes. Get yourself a hostel card. Get an ISIC card and take advantage of student discounts. Procure Lets Go Europe and the Berkley Guides as they are written for budget student travel.

You have some great ideas, but you also have a lot of homework to do. Worth the effort though. Go for it and good luck.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Plan accordingly: That means explore countries nearby if you have less time. Eastern Europe is cheaper and has loads to see. Bulgaria itself has tons to do and see.

Save the Western Europe treks for when you have more time. Theoretically, you could hitch hike all the way to the UK, but it would require a lot of time and patience.

Ultimately, choose quality over quantity. Better to spend more time in less places than trying to cram as many countries as possible into your itinerary.

Look into ride shares, cheap buses and rail passes. Get yourself a hostel card. Get an ISIC card and take advantage of student discounts. Procure Lets Go Europe and the Berkley Guides as they are written for budget student travel.

You have some great ideas, but you also have a lot of homework to do. Worth the effort though. Go for it and good luck.
Hey thanks for the advice! I have a full year until my planned departure, so I haven't been looking into logistics to much. I'm glad you said that about Bulgaira, because that is definately the one I am looking at most. They have an American Univeristy there, among other options, and they have great facilities to learn "survival" or other levels of Bulgairan (I think that's there language?). You were certainly right about the homework aspect, but I look forward to such things. Thanks again. I would like to hear more of your thoughts on Bulgaria if you have any to offer. I am very interested.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich View Post
Since Europe (well, at least the EU) as a whole is not so big you can easily travel from pretty much everywhere. But be aware that travelling is much more expensive than in the US (e.g. gas prices are almost three times as as high as they are in the US). However, you might not want to go to to Eastern Europe without knowing the language.

Thanks for the input! I would plan on taking trains if I were to travel across Europe, but like I said I haven't come close to the point where I would be looking in to such things. As far as the language barrier, if I choose Bulgaria, then I know that all my courses would be in English and they offer "survival" level language courses all the way up to fluency. Thanks again.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harahap View Post
Considering your major is international relations... not much going on in Malta, Finland might be exciting to look at for EU relations, but I'd do Bulgaria because you'd be able to research both EU relations AND Europe-Arab relations. Not that you couldn't study these from anywhere, but y'know... if you wanna become an actor, you wanna go to NY or LA, not [insert small town here]...

Good advice! I am definately drawn to E. Europe for the political history and whatnot, and I agree that this may be the better place to study. The American Univeristy offers a lot of Russian studies courses which I think is pretty cool.

The size of Europe is comparable to the U.S. (I'm making a huge assumption that you're in the U.S. based on your language concerns). So think about travelling from the East coast to the West coast. Is it doable in a weekend? Sure. But you certainly wouldn't have much time to stop and enjoy the places you pass.
Good advice! I am definately drawn to E. Europe for the political history and whatnot, and I agree that this may be the better place to study. The American Univeristy offers a lot of Russian studies courses which I think is pretty cool.

I am indeed American. It sounds like I will definately have to wait for a longer break if I want to go all the way West. Hopefully, I will have more than a few oppurtunities to travel while I am there, but much of this is dependent upon my finances at the time. thanks again for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World