Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to New Zealand, never visited before, seeking information on friendliness towards outsiders, internet and cell phone coverage in New Zealand

Old 08-29-2008, 01:54 AM

147 posts, read 541,043 times

Advertisements

With the internet industry getting out of control and being able to finally ride the wave after working on things for 5 years, I have decided that I would like to move to a new place. I have saved up some money and would like to move in the next 3 years. I know this is a lot of time for things to change in the world and what not, but I want to start planning this now so when the time comes, I know everything about what I am doing and have no doubts about it.

I really want to move to Southland, New Zealand area...I am wondering a few things:

1) Are there anyone who have visited, lived, or spent any kind of long term time in New Zealand before? and how do they treat outsiders...

2) What is the internet/cell phone coverage like there.

3) this is the most important question...If i were to call a consulate in the United States...would they be able to tell me any information about New Zealand like the previous two questions?

I am dead set on moving there even though I have never visited...I have done this one other time in my past (moved from austin, Tx to Yellowknife, Northwest Territories for two years) to clear my head, but this time I think its more of I want a change of scenery. Anyways, any help I can get on this would be great...there is a consulate in Houston, Tx I believe which I could actually drive to...but I am pretty sure you have to have a passport or whatever which mine wont get here for a few more weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 12:00 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,702,874 times
Yeah, you definitely need "a passport or whatever."

Here is a link to the New Zealand immigration office, Skilled Migrant Catagory process. Application process diagram (http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/skilledmigrant/apply/process/diagram.htm - broken link)

Good luck.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:55 PM

Lol thanks...my goal is to live there for the rest of my life.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:33 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,729,244 times
LOL

Austin, Tx to Yellowknife wasn't enough of a change of scenery???

Old 08-31-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
LOL

Austin, Tx to Yellowknife wasn't enough of a change of scenery???

Its great up there...but ever since I was 8 years old I have wanted to move to New Zealand. I went to Australia when I was young a few times and never got the chance to get over there. I regret this and am planning to visit soon, but I am wanting to know more about how long I can be there/if its possible to gain citizenship.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:45 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,729,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiyoo View Post
Its great up there...but ever since I was 8 years old I have wanted to move to New Zealand. I went to Australia when I was young a few times and never got the chance to get over there. I regret this and am planning to visit soon, but I am wanting to know more about how long I can be there/if its possible to gain citizenship.

And I wish you the best of luck in your quest.

My comment was more related to the fact that I have a hard time imagining 2places that would be more of polar opposites regarding climate, lifestyle etc than Austin and Yellowknife.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:53 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,980,470 times
check out these two web sites to get 2 different angles of life in Aotearoa (NZ)

Moving to New Zealand?

I've lived in Oz and I know NZ pretty well. I would carefully make a list of why you want to leave and if the grass is really greener in Oz or NZ. To many people it may not be, and of course to some, it was a good move. Its tougher to get into Australia but it only takes 2 years to obtain Aussie citizenship (it takes 5 years to become a kiwi). Aussies and Kiwis have the right to move to each other's country and work.. no immigration necessary. Job prospects may be better in Oz.. more cities to chose from. NZ is currently under recession, Australia may be headed that way (AUD in 6 weeks went from almost par to USD to .82) and the AU economy is expected to shed 100,000 jobs this year. Inflation is high in Oz. There are tons of kiwis who have crossed the tasman in search of better opportunities in Oz. An Aussie comic once said the thing he missed most about Australia are all the "bloody" kiwis. LOL..

Here are links to online newspapers:
www.nzherald.co.nz
www.theaustralian.com.au

If I had my druthers and as much as I truly love NZ, I would choose Oz. Only since salaries are higher (by about 20%) and work opportunities more robust. Be forwarned though that Oz and NZ do not stack well for affordability for housing... you can google search this one...

For both countries you need to pass a points test which does change. Google NZ and Australia immigration. For both you need work experience in your field.

Good luck.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 09-08-2008 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: links to other forums not permitted

Old 09-10-2008, 10:11 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,632,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiyoo View Post
I really want to move to Southland, New Zealand area...I am wondering a few things:

1) Are there anyone who have visited, lived, or spent any kind of long term time in New Zealand before? and how do they treat outsiders...

2) What is the internet/cell phone coverage like there.

3) this is the most important question...If i were to call a consulate in the United States...would they be able to tell me any information about New Zealand like the previous two questions?

I am dead set on moving there even though I have never visited.
Well you are the first person I have ever met that wanted to voluntarily move to Invercargill(southland).

Southland I don't think is a bad place, but economic opportunity is very limited and it has kind of the "edge of the world" feeling as the next stop across the ocean is Antarctica. It's very much behind the times down there with a different culture and even a different accent(nothing wrong with all that, just not as easy to adjust to). House prices are low(there is a reason for that) and good jobs are few. Salaries are the lowest there for any place in NZ. Entertainment options are limited with the local NPC rugby team and the yearly New Zealand V8 touring car races at Teretonga. Mostly it's flat around Invercargill so if you want to do any hiking or biking you've got to go NW or NE for at least an hour or two. The weather can be pretty cold and cloudy for much of the year. New Zealand houses are poorly insulated and heating options are expensive. Invest in woolen clothing.

Cell phone coverage is pretty good. Often calling the USA the call is clearer than if I called from within the USA(it better be for $1.50 a minute). The internet is still behind the times in NZ. It's expensive and what they call broadband is much slower than the USA and the upload/download limits are draconian.

Probably your best source of information about New Zealand in regards to moving there and living there is to do research on the net as there is a plethora of sites dedicated to much of what questions you have. I don't think the consulate can be of much help for specific questions outside of helping with paperwork.

Yes paperwork. So many people are fleeing New Zealand that if you have skills you can apply for related visas and move there to live and work. That is still a process that takes time and effort on your part to research and fill out the appropriate paperwork

Moving there site unseen. I would not do that and anyone that moves to another country, having not visited there, nor being under duress(refugee) has to be barking mad. And I mean that in a nice way, just that reality bites. I love New Zealand. I spend a month there every year. It is an interesting place and I've been everywhere in the country. But it's a whole different deal than the USA and requires much adjustment plus the cost of living is high, wages low, expenses and taxes high.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:25 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,980,470 times
yes many migrate to NZ expecting paradise then come to realise why so many kiwis leave.. they come unaware of poor housing insulation, high expenses (things have to be imported), sub-par internet... if I had to move there it would only be to Auckland as I prefer larger cities. and when you travel outside auckland you can enjoy being called a jafa (just another f**ng aucklander)

Old 10-07-2008, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
yes many migrate to NZ expecting paradise then come to realise why so many kiwis leave.. they come unaware of poor housing insulation, high expenses (things have to be imported), sub-par internet... if I had to move there it would only be to Auckland as I prefer larger cities. and when you travel outside auckland you can enjoy being called a jafa (just another f**ng aucklander)
Visually some parts of New Zealand are pretty close to Paradise, but the climate still leaves a lot to be desired. NZ's green credentials are weak and much of its clean, green image is due to a low population density rather than any effective or integrated approach to environmental custodianship. Surprisingly, air pollution is unacceptable in some areas during winter months - mostly because of smoke from wood burning stoves which are the major heating source for many Kiwis.

Many migrants find both the overly expensive, poor quality housing, relatively high cost of living and low salaries makes it difficult to settle long term in New Zealand. I recommend that anyone considering migration should visit the country first, see as much of it as you can and get a feel for how your qualifications and experience are viewed by potential recruiters.

Another issue many Americans have with New Zealand is the quality of the healthcare provision, some prefer to leave the country for treatment in clinics in Asia, rather than rely on the local providers. This is for both medical and dental care. Shortage of medical staff in many key areas is causing significant problems:

[url=http://emigratetonewzealand.blogspot.com/search/label/Health%20Service]Thinking of Emigrating to New Zealand?: Health Service[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World