U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-27-2008, 09:42 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,274,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerbabe View Post
I don't know of any country the has to build a fence to keep people out.
China :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Status: "she's a cray cray colonial chica" (set 11 hours ago)

9,070 posts, read 11,527,457 times
S
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
China :-)
Keep their people out or in?

I think in the near future, when China develops, it will see reverse migration. Especially with their one child policy, there will not be enough females to keep the population viable.. too many seniors,not enough children to keep the economy humming..

If the air were cleaner by then.. I would love to try China..

Old 09-27-2008, 10:08 PM

40,871 posts, read 42,111,031 times
P_ersonally ;I think it is all in the situation of the individual. A person that is movivated and has used his early years to educated his/herself then the USA is a great place. But for those that goofed off education the competition is not a good thing for them. These people will most likely be better offf in a welfare state type government that gauranteees certain survival needs like medical and housing.The problem is that no country really wants unskilled workers anymore and certainly don't want people that draw from the governmant rather than contribute to the governamnt in the way of taxes and fees.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:15 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,417,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Living in the u.s. it seems this place is a sinking ship,many are looking to jump over to Canada but I hear it's not much better there.

While I don't expect the world to get better any time soon,where do you think is the best place in the world to be living right now?
Hello there and thank you for posting such an intelligent question. It would help if you described what you are looking for out of life and what path you hope to go. That way, we will know how to better assist you. I'll have to research this and get back to you.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:28 AM

2,775 posts, read 8,293,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
of those cities which would you chose 1-5 with 1 being your favourite?
For me:
1. NY
2. DC
3. SF
4. Boston
5. Philadelphia
I see a preference for the NE US above. I do not think I can live in a red state.

Also for countries that I would select as best for living:
1. US (NE US)
2. Canada (TOR, VAN)
3. Australia (ADL, MEL)

The only reason Australia for me is #3 is the remoteness and I experienced that when I lived there. I missed my family in the US and UK. On the plus I had at least 4 separate guests from NY visit me every year so every 3 months I had a friend visiting bringing me stuff I missed from the US. They all lined up to come visit me in Oz.
For me:
1) NYC - everything (food, people, art, architecture, entertainment, density, sights, sports, etc.)
2) Chicago - architecture
3) San Francisco - scenery
4) Boston - history
5) New Orleans - exotic culture (it's sad that Hurricane Katrina messed this place up)

Old 09-28-2008, 10:32 AM

1,645 posts, read 2,698,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The US. I know a few Americans threatening to leave the US if McCain becomes president but I highly doubt they actually would go through with it.
They better make sure they don't have a DUI on their records. CAnada considers that criminal record and will not allow people to come in with that on their records even if they've paid for their crimes and made restitution and been clean record wise for years/decades (like what if you made a stupid mistake as a teen? is this supposed to follow you forever?).

Don't get me wrong. I am not for drinking and driving, but this is a real problem for people wanting to come into Canada and there are websites devoted to it.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:39 AM

1,645 posts, read 2,698,656 times
Oh and for me it is, bar none, USA all the way. I love this country, warts and all. The people, the places, the opinions, the amazing diversity of the different regions, and the opportunities.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:03 PM

5,299 posts, read 1,589,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Hello there and thank you for posting such an intelligent question. It would help if you described what you are looking for out of life and what path you hope to go. That way, we will know how to better assist you. I'll have to research this and get back to you.
I think it's pretty much self-explanatory and the people that know have responded as such.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:07 PM

5,299 posts, read 1,589,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama View Post
They better make sure they don't have a DUI on their records. CAnada considers that criminal record and will not allow people to come in with that on their records even if they've paid for their crimes and made restitution and been clean record wise for years/decades (like what if you made a stupid mistake as a teen? is this supposed to follow you forever?).

Don't get me wrong. I am not for drinking and driving, but this is a real problem for people wanting to come into Canada and there are websites devoted to it.
Just for DUI? You mean you could commit other crimes and they wouldn't care? Kind of ironic since the big things over there are hockey and BEER

Sounds kind of like getting a job in the u.s. where they won't hire you if you have bad credit...just another stupid law that should be done away with.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Status: "she's a cray cray colonial chica" (set 11 hours ago)

9,070 posts, read 11,527,457 times
How do they treat DUI in your state? In Ontario its no break. First offense your license is taken away from you for a year..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World