Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 10:14 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,439 times

Advertisements

Fellow City-Data.com forummers, which nations across the globe have a large amount of miscegenation (race mixing) or increasing number of interracial couplings? Please provide facts and statistics if you have them.

By the way, this thread is not intended to cause any strife or aggitation, so please keep comments friendly and mature. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 12:11 AM

15 posts, read 18,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Fellow City-Data.com forummers, which nations across the globe have a large amount of miscegenation (race mixing) or increasing number of interracial couplings? Please provide facts and statistics if you have them.

By the way, this thread is not intended to cause any strife or aggitation, so please keep comments friendly and mature. Thanks.
Most likely in the USA, most notibly in the Southwest and the Northeast. I can't speak for other countries, but I'm sure its high there.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:30 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
If we're talking about miscegenation through the years I would say countries like Brazil (a majority of people there are mulattos) or Mexico (majority of mestizos) would be hard to beat in that respect. I don't know how frequent marriages between pure-laine whites and pure-laine blacks or natives are these days though.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:34 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
Dominican Republic along with other island/countries in the Caribbean- also South Africa

Old 10-30-2008, 06:38 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
I eat my words - a quick google search reveals whites are actually the majority group in Brazil, although blacks and mulattos (they're lumped together in the census) are expected to surpass them in the next census.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Dominican Republic along with other island/countries in the Caribbean- also South Africa
South Africa? This occurs among the whites and blacks or with the other races?

Old 10-30-2008, 05:24 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
I eat my words - a quick google search reveals whites are actually the majority group in Brazil, although blacks and mulattos (they're lumped together in the census) are expected to surpass them in the next census.
Keep in mind, caucasion is seen as a large group. In the U.S. hispanics are often considered white.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:55 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Keep in mind, caucasion is seen as a large group. In the U.S. hispanics are often considered white.
That's cuz "Hispanic" isn't really a race...it's a vague term that covers a wide range of people with various ethnic backgrounds, cultures, and skin colors. The only tie seems to be that they speak Spanish or some of their ancestors spoke Spanish or they were rules by Spaniards at one time.
I suppose I fall under that term, but I really dislike it and don't use it.

But yeah, I bet many people in various Latin American countries who might be called "Hispanic" are a mix of white (from various European countries), the indigenous people, and/or black people (from slaves brought over). Mexicans seem pretty solidly mixed also.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:41 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
South Africa? This occurs among the whites and blacks or with the other races?
Mainly among blacks and whites, but also with Indians (from India) and even a small percentage of Chinese.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Mainly among blacks and whites, but also with Indians (from India) and even a small percentage of Chinese.
I didn't think blacks and whites were getting along in that part of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World