Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 12:20 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmicck View Post
I hate his theory on re-distribution of wealth. And I don't live in the most affluent areas, I would probably be one of the ones that 'get' money. And I hate that people will be able to murder a child whenever they feel like it. But hey lower taxes eh?
wealth is being redistributed already. its just how is it being redistributed. the tax system is filled with different breaks and loopholes.
wealth inequity is a real problem that affects everyone. even many economists agree that inequality in a society brings it down as a whole. under bush people have lost real income.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:35 PM

451 posts, read 1,324,542 times
I have mixed feelings about the results of the US Presidential election. I am happy that history was made and that America has elected the first "black" or colored President. But, I did not vote for a candidate simply based on his or her skin color or gender. I did not vote for Obama, but I pray for Obama and hope he can make positive change in this country. I will support him now, since he will be the next US President. I know a lot of people are very hopeful, but I also hope people will be realistic. There is only so much Obama, as President, and his team can achieve. He is not superman or God. More can be achieved if everybody also takes action.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:20 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
I am ashamed and embarassed by my fellow Americans. They have elected pure scum as our president and if they think the past 8 years have been bad with Bush, they haven't seen anything yet. The rest of the world is laughing at us and the terrorists now know that the U.S. will be an easier target than ever.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:25 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,864 times
I feel very happy for the US and for the whole world.
I know that for many people this is an historical and very important day because the first African American person has been voted for president. I realize how important this is but to me Obama´s skin colour comes second.

What fills me with hope is that the US will have a leader who believes in dialogue rather than arrogance and aggression, who cares deeply for every humen being regardless of his bank account or status. Someone who is intelligent, articulated, gracious and well balanced.

I know that this is just the beginning of a long and difficult journey for Obama, the US and the world because the issues and problems to solve are many. He won´t get it all right at the first try and he will certainly need all the help, support and prayer we can spare.

Well done US!!!

Old 11-05-2008, 02:26 PM

271 posts, read 1,072,577 times
I honestly believe that Obama will be assasinated before his term is over. There are so many upper class business owners that are going to be pissed. It willnot be by me or my frinds I hope, but I believe it will be done. They have already stopped 3 or 4 attempts.
Just out of curiosity I wonder how many attempts ahve been made on other presidents lives?

Old 11-05-2008, 04:02 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
How do you feel about it?
I feel... happy about it. Was very nervous yesterday waiting for the results, but now I'm calm. And happy. (I told hubby that if McCain won, he'd have to move to Sweden with me, so I guess hubby's happy too)

I don't believe Obama is going to be a "miracle" and fix all the problems the Bush- administration caused, but maybe, if we are lucky, he might be able to atleast stop causing more problems of that sorts. And that in it self is a huge accomplishment.
Choosing between Obama and McCain, Obama (to me) was a clear choice based on what they said they would do, how they behaved as persons, and their values.
Now it's just to wait and see if Obama will live up to what he said. From now on, he'll be judged on what he himself does, and not what he does in comparison to McCain.

"I'm Barack Obama, and I approve this message."
I am so going to miss those commercials

(I'm still going to have to live with Palin, though. Oh well, guess you can never have it all)

Old 11-05-2008, 06:29 PM

517 posts, read 1,806,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
Fantastic, so pleased with the result. He deserved it. Symbolically, his win will go a long way to helping fix America's image in the rest of the world and illustrates that in America, anything really is possible. We hear it all the time but now we have witnessed it.

For me personally, watching the speeches of both candidates, I feel much more positive about the US. McCain was gracious and made a fine concession speech (despite the fools in the crowd booing) and Obama was just electrifying.

I think on the whole the rest of the world will be pleased about the result of this election after watching the current bumbling fool of a president for 8 long years.
Wonderful post- you said everything I wanted to say. No point in repeating it.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I am ashamed and embarassed by my fellow Americans. They have elected pure scum as our president and if they think the past 8 years have been bad with Bush, they haven't seen anything yet. The rest of the world is laughing at us and the terrorists now know that the U.S. will be an easier target than ever.
I think that's going too far- pure scum?

He may not have been your pick but we need to support our new president. How about we work together? I hope all the MCCain supporters can let the new president do his job and support him now.

If you watched the news you would see that many parts of the world are happy that Obama won. I have family in Europe and they just told me today how they like Obama there. They just fear that something happens to him and I hope that doesn't come true. We have to give him a chance.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmicck View Post
I honestly believe that Obama will be assasinated before his term is over. There are so many upper class business owners that are going to be pissed. It willnot be by me or my frinds I hope, but I believe it will be done. They have already stopped 3 or 4 attempts.
Just out of curiosity I wonder how many attempts ahve been made on other presidents lives?
I sure hope not. We have come so far with this election- I think we would have alot of rage and possibly riots. I hope that this doesn't ever happen.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:43 PM

64 posts, read 131,128 times
Quote:
How do you feel about it?
About the same way sensible and sane Germans felt in 1933.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World