Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 01:39 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,922,766 times

Advertisements

Toilets of the World

I've been to some funky potties in my day.
Some fun ones here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 02:16 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,675,074 times
This sign was posted in a bathrom in Thailand, to show people from the country-side how to use the bathrom in modern buildings. Apprently, there had been some lawsuits from people who fell off.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-26-2010 at 11:02 AM..

Old 11-23-2008, 01:36 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,218,926 times
They left out the dutch/german "inspection shelf" toilets.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:31 PM

20,242 posts, read 19,808,475 times
I still can't get over the fact that some cultures actually wipe with their HAND? Whoa!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:49 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,050,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Toilets of the World

I've been to some funky potties in my day.
Some fun ones here.
Interesting. This from the article:

"Indian Trains
I truly love the Indian train system. I do not love indian train toilets. Pee + moving train = nasty. Also, the toilets are just holes onto the tracks. Between every pair of rails in India there are two stripes of old dried ****, one for the bathroom on either side of the car. Lest ye judge, European trains used to be engineered exactly the same way."

Well, got news for the author. Trains in the U.S. were the same way, too. I had the experience on Amtrak's Coast Starlight in the late 80s where one car's toilets was nothing but a hole straight through to the rails and tracks. I pee'd a streak right past the Minute Man rocket launchers at Vandenberg.

But regarding toilets and public bathrooms, they all generally lack something in offering privacy and dignity, IMO. I've never been to Asia, but certain areas of Europe do the best when it comes to privacy in my experience. Eh-hem, except, that is, one I experienced in Oslo. The restrooms were coin-pay to access. Mens and womens were situated across from each other at the end of a hall. Between them was a booth where a guard sat monitoring the activities in both mens and womens from behind a two-way mirror. (My guess is that this was a problem area for drugs and prostitution.) This day it was a lady guard, bad tempered, who busted me for not paying as I slid in when another exited. What a job! She made me pay or face a fine!

Old 11-25-2008, 06:48 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,218,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Interesting. This from the article:

"Indian Trains
I truly love the Indian train system. I do not love indian train toilets. Pee + moving train = nasty. Also, the toilets are just holes onto the tracks. Between every pair of rails in India there are two stripes of old dried ****, one for the bathroom on either side of the car. Lest ye judge, European trains used to be engineered exactly the same way."

Well, got news for the author. Trains in the U.S. were the same way, too. I had the experience on Amtrak's Coast Starlight in the late 80s where one car's toilets was nothing but a hole straight through to the rails and tracks. I pee'd a streak right past the Minute Man rocket launchers at Vandenberg.
Many trains in the Netherlands are still the same way. Some are just an open hole straight through the bottom and some hold it until you "flush" then open the hole to dump it.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:46 AM

347 posts, read 1,354,240 times
Jonathan Stray, the idiot who wrote that article, made sure he wrote only about the toilets he saw in the poorest parts of the countries he visited, and then he proclaims that all toilets in those countries are like that. Ignorance at its fullest.

I have visited quite a few of those countries listed in his article, and I can assure you that not all toilets are like what he has described.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:02 PM

281 posts, read 1,375,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
They left out the dutch/german "inspection shelf" toilets.
Thats true... never really understood that thing. Luckily most modern bathrooms in Germany don't have these things anymore.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:07 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,686,910 times
Quote:
Many trains in the Netherlands are still the same way. Some are just an open hole straight through the bottom and some hold it until you "flush" then open the hole to dump it.
I rode a train from Moscow to St. Petersburgnin 2000.... Hole in the floor .... I got to crap on Russia........

Old 11-27-2008, 12:55 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,029,141 times
Quote:
I remember those 'WCs' on the Euro trains as well when visiting over there in 1973.............

Frankly; I am very surprised that such 'crappers' are even legal these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World