U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:08 AM

24 posts, read 133,460 times

Advertisements

Hi every one.I was born and raised an american citizen.I was taught from day one that America was the greatest nation on the earth.Now that I am 29 years old;I think differently.The reasons I think differntly now is because our Health Care system seems to be more of a COMunist way of doing things.(No Insurance ,No Care!)I was in an acident about a year ago and the docter would not see me,because I did not have insurance.I talk with a guy about a week ago that has to work at the age of 60 years old because he lost all of his money on expensive medical bills!Another thing about american people is that they think that they are smarter than the rest of the world because they are American!Alot of americans with higher educations such as College Grads are truly arogant.I talked with a women from Europe a while ago and she said that americans are very proud! ARE AMERICANS TOO PROUD?

Old 12-14-2008, 09:27 AM

3 posts, read 12,143 times
Would it be better for Americans to think of themselves as lowly, stupid, and not worth anything? I would rather for a person to be arrogant, self assured and confident than to be a meely mouth, whinning ninny. Sure Americans are forward and rough, but so are Germans, Latins, and a host of other self sufficient countries in the world. What is the big deal? Is it you and others who are a little *SENSITIVE* no one has the time to coddle emotionally distraught, ego needing stroking people. Successful countries were not made by soft hearts and brittle spirits. Toughen up sunshine

Old 12-14-2008, 09:54 AM

5,214 posts, read 5,419,924 times
Yes, I agree with TasiaJay to a certain extent. But I also know exactly what Shomari is talking about. Alot of college grad and/or current college students here in the U.S. seem to be very arrogant. I don't know why.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:39 AM

200 posts, read 741,743 times
Well it's hard to really generalise. But If I were to generalise about Americans I would say they are very friendly, kind and generous.

I do believe right now there is an element of denial among some Americans. And there seems to be some confusion about what patriotism actually is.

In my view patriotism is wanting your country to improve all the time - making your country a better place. And that sometimes means complaining about it and working to change it. It also means admitting when something's wrong.

I do think that some Americans right now think that America's no. 1 no matter what. And quite frankly right now it isn't. And as I've said on another thread it won't be again until they realise that. And worse than that some think that criticising it or where it's going as being unpatriotic which is just absurd.

In answer to the question. No I don't think America is too proud. Some of the pride is a little misplaced but I have faith in their resilience that most will direct it in the right way and it can get to where it was.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:54 AM

5,346 posts, read 6,664,764 times
How is the American health care system like communism? Fair enough if you don't agree with the system but surely, it's the exact opposite of communism? Insurance systems fall under capitalism, not communism. Communism is steretypically left wing, capitalism is right wing. I know I'm simplifying things but I really don't understand how one can think insurance systems are communist.

In my experience, most people from most countries think they are smarter than the rest of the world. The British and Irish have tons of pride, although in a different way from Americans. Unlike Americans, they don't really show pride with tons of flags (except maybe during the world cup?) but they are proud to be British or Irish. I also think arrogant university students are fairly universal. Not all students are arrogant but I'm thinking of the "intellectual" type who looks down on people with lesser degrees. I think this is just snobbery often associated with classism and happens in any country.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:55 AM

14,097 posts, read 14,425,325 times
You say you were in an accident and the doctor wouldn't see you because you didn't have insurance. If you went to a hospital ER then I'd say you either are a liar or you need to report that hospital to the state. Hospital ERs cannot turn away emergency patients even if they don't have health insurance. As for your statement that our health care is communist, you don't know anything about communism for you to make such a statement. In a communist system, everyone has healthcare but the government decides who gets what care and when. One of the reasons why American healthcare is so expensive is because of government interferance in the form of regulations and paperwork. As a whole, are Americans too proud? No. Some individuals are too proud. Having pride in your country is a good thing.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:07 PM

43,177 posts, read 47,049,205 times
I thnik that you confused pride with being self absorbed. It can also be confused with confidence and individuality. Individaulity is IMO ;a american trait that most seem to value.Arrogance IMO and experience is a sign of low confidence and self perception.But arrogance can be confused with confidence also. A person can view a preson they don;t agree with as arrogant and stupid qiite eaily as we l;ike to find fault with those that don't argree with us to justify our beliefs. Human traits.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:16 PM

1,669 posts, read 3,908,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomari View Post
Hi every one.I was born and raised an american citizen.I was taught from day one that America was the greatest nation on the earth.Now that I am 29 years old;I think differently.The reasons I think differntly now is because our Health Care system seems to be more of a COMunist way of doing things.(No Insurance ,No Care!) I was in an acident about a year ago and the docter would not see me,because I did not have insurance.I talk with a guy about a week ago that has to work at the age of 60 years old because he lost all of his money on expensive medical bills!Another thing about american people is that they think that they are smarter than the rest of the world because they are American!Alot of americans with higher educations such as College Grads are truly arogant.I talked with a women from Europe a while ago and she said that americans are very proud! ARE AMERICANS TOO PROUD?
Somebody needs to read the definition of communism.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:28 PM

16,123 posts, read 16,236,695 times
I actually think Americans have less pride than when I was growing up. Years ago people took care of their homes and their cars because they had to work harder to get things. Not so much credit back then. Things have been easier for people to get in the last 10 years or so and we don't appreciate what we have. We just want more and more. It makes me sick. People bought these huge homes(for the show) and they can't even afford to put furniture in all the rooms. I think we have become more arrogant and greedy but I think pride has slipped away. So many(not all) Americans have become lazy arrogant slobs that think they know it all. The time is coming when we are going to be taken down a notch or 2.

My husband and I spent the last few years living in our motorhome and traveling the country and it has all gone down hill. That's why we are hiding away on our mountain so we don't have to see the trash outside.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:22 PM

14,097 posts, read 14,425,325 times
snizzle, you sound like an angry spoiled child. Have you ever been to foreign nations other than Mexico and Canada? Perhaps you'd like to visit Mexico right now where drug lords rule the land and the police run scared if they aren't on the drug lord's payroll? Perhaps you'd like to live in a muslim nation ruled by islamic law where women can't drive, vote, speak out against her husband, or even have her face or other body parts seen in public? Perhaps you'd like to live in one of the African nations where people are starving while the warlords and his troops dine in splender? If you do go and someone with a machete ask you "long sleeves or short sleeves", he's asking if you want him to cut off your hand at the wrist or your arm at your elbow. And if you choose South Africa, remember to purchase rape insurance. Visit Cuba's prisons. There you'll find people who were arrested for saying bad things about Castro. You can bad mouth the President all you want and not get arrested for it but do it in a communist nation and you're lucky if they kill you cause prison there is all about real torture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World