U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Tokyo 111 63.07%
Los Angeles 65 36.93%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 09:17 AM

15,198 posts, read 32,321,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Tokyo = sterile, bland, xenophobic to the core.

No thanks.
Liking or preferring L.A. is fine, but no need to make racist statements about other people in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 12:54 PM

189 posts, read 505,074 times
I don't understand the comparison here. It's obviously no contest, Tokyo is better in almost all aspects.
LA is one of the dullest, blandest, and no personality cities in the US. It's a boring city. It's only good for a short visit. LA skyscrapers? LoL you got to be kidding me. Tokyo skyline is 500% better than LA.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:13 PM

22,029 posts, read 20,155,949 times
Agreed.

LA is horrible.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:45 PM

655 posts, read 718,258 times
I'm from Southern California and I have lived in Tokyo.

If we're talking about living:

In terms of just city, and for the short-term Tokyo is the better city, definitely. However, if we're talking about long-term living and the whole metro-area (again, for long-term living) then I'd rather live in the LA area everyday of the week. I'd much rather live in a nice big house in SoCal than in a small apartment/house in Tokyo. The weather in LA can't be beat either. Plus, Tokyo is vastly more expensive than LA. Somewhere like Santa Barbara, Laguna Beach, etc. would be ideal.

In terms of visiting, I think Tokyo blows LA away. It's my favorite city in the world (along with NYC).

Old 12-02-2011, 04:51 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,275,228 times
los angeles, no contest.

better food, better weather, prettier women, lower living costs, better economic opportunities, etc.

the only positive i can think of for tokyo is its proximity to other cities in e/se asia. but even then i dont think id save much on flights, arent flights expensive out of japan?

Old 12-02-2011, 06:01 PM

10,210 posts, read 10,395,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post

los angeles...

prettier women
On average Tokyo wins imo.
but the top 1000 hottest women in LA are hotter than the top 1000 hottest in Tokyo tho.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:48 AM

16,522 posts, read 18,856,877 times
Would the poll drastically change if it was on the assumption that someone would be both fluent in Japanese and English?

Old 12-03-2011, 05:46 AM

9,833 posts, read 6,633,697 times
Quote:
los angeles, no contest.

better food, better weather, prettier women, lower living costs, better economic opportunities, etc.

the only positive i can think of for tokyo is its proximity to other cities in e/se asia. but even then i dont think id save much on flights, arent flights expensive out of japan?

Better beaches, better diversity, far more laid-back/fun atmosphere. Just a better city, period. Tokyo on the other hand, was one of the humorless places Ive ever visited. Xenophobic might have been harsh, but it's definitely one of the most rigidly provincial places I've ever been to--almost a polar opposite to Los Angeles. Not saying L.A. is flawless, but I couldn't wait to get home.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 12-03-2011 at 05:54 AM..

Old 12-03-2011, 02:10 PM

1,244 posts, read 2,157,734 times
There are more important things in life than the weather of a place. That stated, I'd still lean towards choosing Tokyo although I currently live in LA. If you can secure a job, Tokyo in spite of the expense and crowding is worth it because at least they have a great public transit system there. LA public transit is garbage compared to Tokyo. LA has more ethnic diversity compared to Tokyo. Japan is a very homogenous country but overall, Japanese women are prettier than women anywhere else in the world IMO.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:07 PM

22,029 posts, read 20,155,949 times
Quote:
los angeles, no contest.

LA, better economic opportunities? Get out of here.

LA, better weather? Get out of here.

LA, better food? Get out of here.

LA, prettier women? Get out of here.

LA, lower living costs? Get out of here.

LA is just a big mass of housing with a dead downtown, sprawling suburbs, horrible public transit, and massive highways cutting the city up with horrible traffic and horrendous smog that you would expect to see in London in the 1950's. Not to mention the sea on LA beaches are filthy and the people are shallow and fake.

LA is a butt of a city, it is a shame to call it the second city of the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World