Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Tokyo 114 61.96%
Los Angeles 70 38.04%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 06:17 PM

241 posts, read 742,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpioni View Post
Even if I don't really like LA, I wouldn't live in Tokyo instead. I'd go with Bangkok instead, or Shanghai.
Why? Both of those cities are about as densely populated as Tokyo, but poorer and less healthy to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 11:24 PM

312 posts, read 909,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poxonyou View Post
Why? Both of those cities are about as densely populated as Tokyo, but poorer and less healthy to live in.
I think the japanese are way too uptight, and Tokyo as a city is too neat and clean. The cost of living is outrageous too.
Maybe if I was a billionaire, but then it's a different question.
If you're going to work in Japan you'll have to work like a black man during slavery (almost). Almost no vacation and too many hours a week.
In a place like Bangkok, you can just live life with a small saving.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:20 AM

241 posts, read 742,503 times
Quote:
I think the japanese are way too uptight, and Tokyo as a city is too neat and clean. The cost of living is outrageous too.
If you're going to work in Japan you'll have to work like a black man during slavery (almost). Almost no vacation and too many hours a week.
I live in Tokyo and basically agree, though not with that analogy. It costs a fortune in the big city and you get far less for what you pay. If you teach in schools, you get quite a bit of vacation time, but only those in university or top level private schools make good money in that. Almost all Japanese jobs expect a ridiculous amount of hours from their employees. 9am-7pm, 9am-9pm, sometimes 6 days a week, often only paid for 8 hours work, often/sometimes no overtime pay. All that work kills social life. Many Japanese just end up hanging out with coworkers since that's the people they end up knowing best, having less time for other friends. Then what do you do with your free time? Well, everyone lives in tiny places, so house parties are rare. You end up blowing a ton of money at izakayas or some other group entertainment place.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:29 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Well, take the average wages for...well, we'll say english teacher in Japan versus an English teacher in Thailand.

On the very low end of Japan, it starts at 250,000/yen a month...about US$3,000/month. This is the rock bottom pay, and it only goes higher.

In Thailand, the wages are more like $500/month through a similar language institute. People can make more in either place, but thats where they start in each country.

Not only that, but Bangkok isn't that cheap. It's cheaper than Tokyo, but there are a lot of places to spend a lot of money real quick in Bangkok.

Thailand is really only cost effective if you have access to jobs that give you a western salary in BKK itself...or if you are retired and living off retirement income, and a cheaper place works best.

But, any person tied to working in a local economy...whatever cheaper things that exist in Bangkok, are quickly damaged by pay that is almost 6x times less (I'm just comparing ESL teachers, as it's what I know, and common way for many westerners to live in these countries over here).

Old 11-30-2010, 04:15 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,437 times
I've lived in LA my whole life, but have never visited Tokyo.

-LA is turning more and more into the 3rd world everyday. Our infrastructure is a mess. Our schools (LAUSD) are an abomination. How many schools in Tokyo or Japan have a 30 or 50% dropout rate?

-Our airport is a relic. There's so much bloat and incompetence.

I bet you Japan is more like a clipper ship. We're a big lumbering barge. It takes 12 people to tell the other one how to steer the ship. LA has an advantage of being open. But so much of it is a facade here. Something like 50% of the population here is functionally illiterate.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:53 PM

1,946 posts, read 2,562,916 times
There is not the Japanese here.

Last edited by japanese001; 12-03-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 12-04-2010, 05:02 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,527,526 times
L.A is a dump!

Old 12-05-2010, 12:52 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,823,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell
Is this thread a joke?? I'd choose to live in Tokyo any day of the week over Los Angeles.
Yes lots of things i like about Japan (As a whole country)

Old 11-30-2011, 01:33 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,408,272 times
Tokyo = sterile, bland, xenophobic to the core.

No thanks.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:47 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
Neither are desirable for me. I am leaning to LA, because you actually get leafy suburbs and not endless, cramped, tiny apartments. However Tokyo is far more cultured, actually has a downtown that is not dead and isn't full of gangs and guns.

So Tokyo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World