U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Tokyo 111 63.07%
Los Angeles 65 36.93%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:02 PM

2,969 posts, read 7,904,661 times

Advertisements

Both cities have dense sprawl, have numerous skylines, and located in a wide basin by the ocean and surrounded by mountains. They both offer plenty for culture and entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 07:17 PM

8,971 posts, read 13,986,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Both cities have dense sprawl, have numerous skylines, and located in a wide basin by the ocean and surrounded by mountains. They both offer plenty for culture and entertainment.
Is this a question, or a statement of fact? Tokyo is larger than Los Angeles, and considerably more humid. It has better public transportation, but less evidence of Hispanic culture. Both are major Pacific ports, though most of Tokyo's port facilities are actually in Yokohama.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:21 PM

1,435 posts, read 3,381,722 times
Los Angeles proper or Los Angeles metro ? If it's metro than I choose L.A but if it's proper than I choose Tokyo.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:18 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,352,570 times
I have seen both cities and..Tokyo is better then Los Angeles!!!!

Old 02-11-2010, 03:08 PM

1,244 posts, read 2,157,734 times
Is this thread a joke?? I'd choose to live in Tokyo any day of the week over Los Angeles. Here are the reasons:

1. Much less violence and crime in Tokyo. In Tokyo people will not even bother you or try to attack you.

2. I have visited Tokyo only and never actually lived there but the air quality felt like it was better when I was there even in the summer in August when it was humid.

3. Better tasting crepes and Japanese food. I am a lover of food so Tokyo is also great for this.

4. Much better public transportation in Tokyo compared to L.A. This one speaks for itself.

5. Tokyo is not constantly dry and sunny like L.A. and that helps to add some variety to the weather

6. I love the Japanese people because they are kind and polite.

7. This is only my opinion but the Japanese are able to produce better heavy metal music than US heavy metal bands. The US heavy metal scene used to be good years ago when I was growing up but now it is a different story.

These are some of the reasons I'd choose to live in Tokyo over L.A. L.A. is a world class city but it cannot compare to Tokyo.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:26 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,149,852 times
$700 - $1000 a month for a shelter in Tokyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzYJ3-_csII

Old 02-11-2010, 08:24 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,246,976 times
I do like Tokyo, and lord knows I've complained enough about LA. Still, if I had to live there... well eventually the Japanese neuroticism over neatness and social custom would defeat Tokyo's great metro and many other positive aspects.

The Japanese way of life is just too uptight for me, especially compared to the laid-back SoCal lifestyle you can still live in the LA area if you know how to divorce fantasy from reality.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:39 AM

221 posts, read 419,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
7. This is only my opinion but the Japanese are able to produce better heavy metal music than US heavy metal bands. The US heavy metal scene used to be good years ago when I was growing up but now it is a different story.
could you name some? i only know about dir en grey and mucc. id love to get into more japanese metal

Old 02-13-2010, 01:30 PM

895 posts, read 2,025,035 times
They aren't really comparable. Los Angeles "sprawl" is completely unheard of in Tokyo. NY or even Chicago is a better comparison to Tokyo.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:16 PM

5,008 posts, read 9,876,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
They aren't really comparable. Los Angeles "sprawl" is completely unheard of in Tokyo. NY or even Chicago is a better comparison to Tokyo.
Depends on what you consider sprawl. Living density is surely higher, but very few tall buildings outside the core, which is large. Tokyo is HUGE and I consider it to "sprawl" ...

but I do agree that the sprawl of LA is pretty amazing and the density is nowhere near Tokyo, and if Tokyo has few tall buildings outside the big core, then LA is even worse.

Still though, I would much rather live in Tokyo than LA. Efficient mass transit, cleanliness, better air quality, and it being an amazing city where you don't have to drive everywhere and where people aren't trying to kill you for you accidentally obeying the speed limit or for your shoes. People are nicer too, LA urbanites were really rude and condescending when I was there. And for all the hype that LA girls get, I didn't really think they were all that hot. Fake is more like it. Girls in Phoenix were much hotter. The Japanese women were on average ... dull actually, in my honest opinion, but the culture is more demure on the whole. At least they took care of themselves and were dressed nice, hair combed, and makeup not too outlandish (some of the younger ones though were ... yeesh! back to the 80s style).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World