Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which one would you live if you had the choice?
AUSTRALIA 35 31.53%
USA 76 68.47%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:33 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,158 times

Advertisements

I used to date an Australian nymphomaniac from Melbourne. She went on about how Lebanese guys in Australia are known to be disrespectful towards women. If not racist, there seems to be more ethnocentrism in Australia. The population is much smaller than USA, and the the British Isles element is stronger.

There's racism in USA, especially towards blacks. But I would say less ethnocentrism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 08:07 PM

339 posts, read 1,169,242 times
That's a pretty hard call, it's such a generalisation to pick one over the other. Are you talking Sydney vs. Detroit, for example? Or New York vs. Brisbane? The variety of different places to live in the US means that you can be talking about so many different worlds. I called Oz because I can actually choose between the two (my husband is both a US citizen and Oz citizen) and we plan to go back there to Oz a few years time for the great lifestyle. However, there are some cities in the US that I'd love to live in (NY, SF, Boston) and would pick over some Australian cities any day.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:12 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
I used to date an Australian nymphomaniac from Melbourne. She went on about how Lebanese guys in Australia are known to be disrespectful towards women. If not racist, there seems to be more ethnocentrism in Australia. The population is much smaller than USA, and the the British Isles element is stronger.

There's racism in USA, especially towards blacks. But I would say less ethnocentrism.
Unforunately yes. There is a certain ethnocentric "Go Aussie, Or Go Home!" attitude here. Some Australians still cling to an outdated Idealised Anglo image. Rather than embracing the image of the new and modern Australia.....I admit that even I'm guilty of this at times. Which is a shame (For my country and myself ).

It shouldn't put people off atleast trying Australia though? As this country was built on Immigration and despite some bad old habits. We have definately gotten alot better at this multicultural thing.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 01-19-2009 at 10:51 PM..

Old 01-19-2009, 10:41 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
Ahhhh, nooooooooooooo. Wow. I live in the Deep South of the U.S. My husband and I have owned and operated semi trucks and trailers - and traveled all over the mainland U.S. The stereotype of the racist redneck IS alive and well, but no more in the south than in the north, south, east or west of these United States. You are going to have idiots wherever you go. Oh come on! I live in a city that is 75 percent or more black. I really do not even think about it, until someone brings up that old chestnut about the "old south racism". I am blonde, with green-blue eyes and fair skinned. My neighbor is dark-skinned with dark eyes and dark hair. We BOTH seem to have an aversion for lay-abouts, a**holes and criminals. It's NOT the color of your skin for goodness sake, it is your attitude, and your desire to live a good life from the sweat of your brow.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:03 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,285 times
Agreed. Your attitude has alot to do with how you get on in Australia? Anglo-Australians can definately be insular and ethnocentric, But You wont really get to know us. If you just come and complain about everything and refuse to make an effort to get along?

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 01-19-2009 at 11:20 PM..

Old 02-03-2009, 05:34 PM

15 posts, read 61,204 times
i know both of these countries well. both are racist, but usa has the upper hand. it is cheaper to live in usa, and you have more goods and services available. my observation on australia is that things tend to close early. after a certain hour, you wouldnt be abe to get things. the population is also a disadvantage. since usa has a larger population, more is available to them. take for example call centres. if you wanted to call about whatever, you can have longer hours. if you wanted to order something by mail, youll get it in usa. australia is far from everything. not as many opportunities.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:24 PM

339 posts, read 1,169,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTCREW View Post
my observation on australia is that things tend to close early. after a certain hour, you wouldnt be abe to get things. the population is also a disadvantage. since usa has a larger population, more is available to them. take for example call centres. if you wanted to call about whatever, you can have longer hours. if you wanted to order something by mail, youll get it in usa. australia is far from everything. not as many opportunities.
Agreed. However, not everyone sees this as a disadvantage.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:55 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1212 View Post
so, I'd like an unbiased opinion please (someone out of these countries OR someone who've seen both of'em^^!) Which one is the best to live and work? can U make money equally in both? how are people in general in both? weather? Nature? Cities? (I like the fast-paced cities, big cars and patriotic side of america but pple tell me Oz is better for health care, work situation, etc...=) so honestly...WHAT WOULD YOU REALLY CHOOSE TO LIVE (not to go on holiday, in that case I take both! but can't obviously live in both at the same time!)

PS- I'm French, are French appreciated in these?
I've lived in both countries (more in America though). Both are great, but it really depends WHERE in each country. If you compare Adelaide to San Francisco...America is the best choice, if you compare Atlanta to Melbourne...Australia is the best choice.

I moved to Gold Coast, Australia and ended up moving back to America. I am much more a city person, I liike having stores open late and having 24 hour grocery choices and restaurants etc. I also like the diversity...being able to fly only a couple hours in the same country to desert, snow, beach, mountains etc.

My favorite cities in America are:

Seattle, WA
Portland, OR
San Francisco, CA
San Diego, CA
Las Vegas, NV
New York, NY
Boulder, CO
Boston, MA

You can definetly make money in the US (although right now is not a good time, but I don't think Australia will be much better). If you are a business owner, I think America is probally the best country to own and make money. The capitalistic laws really reward businesses and individual success. This was another reason for moving back. Health care is extremely expensive in America. I miss the health care in Australia.

Send me a direct message and I'd be happy to give you specifics. How much can you afford? What type of weather? What type of demographics? I already know you like fast paced cities.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:33 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Well I voted the US simply because I've already lived all of my life in Oz and a change is as good as a holiday they say.

Having said that unless something remarkable happens there are not a lot of options for me to live in the US and for me personally I know I'm better off here than I could ever be in the US as it is now.

The US is ok if you subscribe to the idea that person's value lies in how much they earn, I think Oz is much better in that regard.

As to racism, well it's everywhere. I was even subjected to it in France in a couple of areas, didn't change my mind about France or the French though. And by far my overall impression of racism WHEREVER I have experienced it in the world is that there are far more who aren't than are.
If you expect it, you'll find it. That's how I see it.

Never had any trouble in Oz with the trading hours and didn't find them any different to the US. Some places stay open, some do not. I'm usually organized anyway, so it's not an issue for me.

Financially Australia is (and I say that based on today and not what will happen next week) weathering the current world wide economic storm better than the US and we were in a better financial position going into it but whether that remains the case I'm not sure.

Ultimately I think it really gets down to doing your homework and making the best decision for you. We are all different.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post

Wait, Australia is more ethnocentric than America? Sounds like something an American would say.

Americans largely refuse to learn second languages, refuse to learn the metric system, drive on the opposite of the road as just about everywhere else in the world... We tend to have the attitude that our way of doing things is just better, and expect other nations to accommodate us from the individual level to our foreign policy. The average American has very little knowledge or concern for what's happening in other parts of the world.

That's not to mention the idea that America is the greatest, most God-blessed nation on the planet. Of course, this is a tendency more of the political right than the left, but by no means are leftists lacking in ethnocentrism. It's just that liberals lack the belief, apparently, that America is 'perfect.'

That's not to say that similar attitudes aren't held in Australia. But it can't hold a candle to the self-importance of Americans.

It can be difficult to pick up upon the ethnocentrism in your own society. Ethnocentrism exists because its a belief that derives from what is relevant and observable to members of communities. Humans tend to have biased perceptions of things closer to them in space and time, because those things often involve their own lives. It's a lot easier to notice short-sightedness in a more distant community than in one's own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World