Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:13 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is common among immigrants to Canada as well. Certain groups see other groups in society as lazy or even inferior to them.

It is also not uncommon for some immigrants in Canada to have negative views of the old stock Canadian (English or French speaking) population as lazy, uncouth or uneducated.
Canadians lazy? Yeah I've heard people call Australians lazy, but I always thought of the stereotype of white North Americans as pretty hard-working folk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 08:16 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is common among immigrants to Canada as well. Certain groups see other groups in society as lazy or even inferior to them.

It is also not uncommon for some immigrants in Canada to have negative views of the old stock Canadian (English or French speaking) population as lazy, uncouth or uneducated.
LOL! Canadians lazy, uncouth or uneducated? That's funny, I actually heard Canadians were claimed to be one of the most educated nations, even more than the US.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:18 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,983,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Who are Africans racist against?

It seems a lot of ppl are racist towards black ppl unfortunately...
Well the former dictator of Uganda Amin expelled all the East Indians in the 1970s. Mugabe has racist views of White people.

Yet in South Africa many White people are racist. However many blacks in South Africa are racist and are racist against white people, and Zimbaweans.

Rwanda in the 1990s had a genicide and it was largely racial where one ethic group committed genicide against another ethnic group in that country.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:38 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Canadians lazy? Yeah I've heard people call Australians lazy, but I always thought of the stereotype of white North Americans as pretty hard-working folk.
It's not the majority but it's certainly out there.

Native-born Canadians are allegedly complacent and content with a simple drill and dig economy based on raw natural resources. They dress sloppy, eat crappy fast food like Tim Hortons (and think Timmmies coffee is great when it's not even real coffee), they think Dante is a guy who played quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings and that Johann Sebastian Bach was the lead singer for the metal band Skid Row.

Not saying this is what I think BTW.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:59 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
India - Very Xenophobic.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:14 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
India - Very Xenophobic.
Perhaps, but I highly doubt that applies to Western women (especially those of European descent)!

Old 04-26-2015, 09:06 PM

905 posts, read 790,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
I just had to reply to this. this is the biggest misconception going about americans and it needs to stop.

america is different in that even though it has many people from different places, the prevailing 'american' attitude is they are not actually interested in anyone else's culture but their own.

others picking up that america is one of the most xenophobic has reason. it doesn't seem logical because of the demographics but we are talking about real world experience with actual people.

just because americans have to live and work around others doesn't mean they give two ****s about others' culture, language, or anything else. americans are one of the most xenophobic and i will stand by that though there are those who will say that's just more america bashing for no reason.

even in other countries where the native may not even strike up the conversation, when you do they are interested or at least polite or fair about it. with most americans, if you even strike up the conversation of different cultures or where you came from they are uncomfortable and act as though you broke a social taboo. that taboo is the fact they really don't care or even want to think about anyone else's culture. it kind of disgusts and shocks me to be that boring but unfortunately THAT is how most americans are! the underlying message is 'this is america, we don't care about that or even interested'. it's extremely ugly and rude actually to not have any real appreciation for anything outside of your own culture. since i was small i was always had some interest, natural appreciation and curiousity about the middle-east, far-east, europe, polynesians and anywhere else as it gives you a glimpse into the world at large and the human condition and complexity. these so-called "people" that are the quintessential americans are just horrible. maybe that is the hidden root of why america is crappy culturally.

since i've been in america, it was rare to find anyone who was actually interested at all genuinely about the world or my culture where i came from or anyone else's for that matter. this is just a fact of most americans. why they deserve the xenophobic label even more (though they are unfairly spared) is many are very mocking and outrightly condescending of other countries or cultures to boot believing they have a right to since they are "american" so inherently superior (them, lol) so it's okay to be rude. i don't respect americans who can't take any realistic criticism considering if they've lived in the country they know this and the fact they don't says a lot about the twisted way they think since they are not seeing americans honestly. americans are very xenophobic. VERY. unbelievable huh?
I think it's time you go home, not that I give "two s hits" where that might be as your childish hyperbole is neither interesting nor indicative of a well-adjusted person any American would care to spend five minutes with.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:41 PM

73 posts, read 156,352 times
Switzerland is extremely xenophobic.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:46 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,250 times
^^Can confirm (although i don't like generalization, not all of Switzerland is xenophobic but parts of it are), the canton of Ticino and Vaud has made it clear quite a few times that they wanted to kick out the frontaliers coming from Italy and France, in fact the cost of life being lower in Italy and France helps them to accept work at lower wages than the locals supposedly hurting the local job market. That's not true at all though as many Italian and French own firms there because of Switzerland's low tax rates.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:49 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Central European countries are the most xenophobic - Germany, Switzerland, Australia, Netherlands...

Not sure about Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland. But I would say that they are generally more tolerant than the above countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World