Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2007, 08:04 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
of the people who mentioned "down under" most seem to prefer New Zealand to Australia. I wonder why this is.

I mean no offense to Kiwis but Australia, I would think, is the better known country, larger, bigger population hence more of a chance to get to know someone from there, etc. Just better know. Some famous films have been shot down there recently so perhaps that helps NZ's popularity?

It's somewhat surprising to me.
The Lord of the Rings trilogy definitely helped New Zealand's exposure for most Americans, and others I'd imagine as well.

I would prefer New Zealand over Australia because they are a more progressive country, and one that tends to stay out of international affairs. They're the "Canada" to Australia's "United States". In the case of the U.S.-Canada, while I've been becoming more fond of Canada than the United States, I would most likely never emigrate that way solely due to the weather. However, when comparing that situation with the Australia-NZ situation, well, New Zealand has pretty glorious weather in it's own right so I'd have no reason to avoid it in favor of Australia. With that said though, I like the idea of Australia as well. I'm not sure where I ranked them on my list of places I'd choose if I couldn't live in America, but there's not a huge difference, where New Zealand may be #1, but Australia is somewhere like #5.

Not to mention, if I'm not mistaken, I believe that once you become a resident of Australia or New Zealand, it's pretty easy to emigrate between the two countries, so should I find myself one day in New Zealand and just feel that it's not cutting it because of it's small size and fewer opportunities, I could always hop over to Australia instead.

Last edited by dullnboring; 12-29-2007 at 08:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 10:20 PM

718 posts, read 2,360,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
The Lord of the Rings trilogy definitely helped New Zealand's exposure for most Americans, and others I'd imagine as well.

I would prefer New Zealand over Australia because they are a more progressive country, and one that tends to stay out of international affairs. They're the "Canada" to Australia's "United States". In the case of the U.S.-Canada, while I've been becoming more fond of Canada than the United States, I would most likely never emigrate that way solely due to the weather. However, when comparing that situation with the Australia-NZ situation, well, New Zealand has pretty glorious weather in it's own right so I'd have no reason to avoid it in favor of Australia. With that said though, I like the idea of Australia as well. I'm not sure where I ranked them on my list of places I'd choose if I couldn't live in America, but there's not a huge difference, where New Zealand may be #1, but Australia is somewhere like #5.

Not to mention, if I'm not mistaken, I believe that once you become a resident of Australia or New Zealand, it's pretty easy to emigrate between the two countries, so should I find myself one day in New Zealand and just feel that it's not cutting it because of it's small size and fewer opportunities, I could always hop over to Australia instead.
You are correct about travelling between the two countries. We spent most of 2005 in NZ, watching a lot of people travel to Australia to "holiday" about every other month. My husband is going to Aus. in the middle of Jan. where one of his NZ friend will be joining him to work. So. whether for work or play, they are good.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:24 AM

492 posts, read 2,371,004 times
Well, I'm an American and I decided I needed a foreign adventure for a while. I had a list of about 30 countries I'd like to live in. South Korea wasn't one of them. But money speaks, and Korea had the best offer for a person in my position, so I took it! I would have to say that it's probably my least favorite country I've ever visited, except for maybe Peru, but the experience overall has been good. I love my job and look forward to going every day.

If money hadn't been an determining factor, here's where I would be:
1. Andalucia, Spain
2. Costa Rica
3. London

Old 12-30-2007, 04:35 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,292 times
Thumbs up If...

If I couldn't live in America, and I have absolutely no idea why this would ever happen, I would live in Canada.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:53 PM

70 posts, read 272,251 times
Budapest, Hungary or Zagreb, Croatia

Old 01-01-2008, 05:05 PM

186 posts, read 794,312 times
Western France......in a small town by the Atlantic. Sigh.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:56 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,633,862 times
Are you thinking of Brittany?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugnubs View Post
Western France......in a small town by the Atlantic. Sigh.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:53 PM

8 posts, read 24,884 times
Hello, I understand your views...an american who lives in SW France...a dream come true? After 4 1/2 years, Im ready to move back to the USA...and as a kid (military brat) Ive lived everywhere! always love coming back home! Dont get me wrong, france is beautiful, the food is good, the wine is flowing, but there are prices to pay...we are the "strangers" and branded as outcasts! -Im very friendly and outgoing...doesnt work! I will go back to the USA, have friends, my kids will have friends, and we can buy nice food at gourmet markets for even less than they charge at local groceries here in france!

Old 01-03-2008, 01:54 PM

139 posts, read 375,349 times
I'd choose to live somewhere where the most common language used is either English or Spanish (the only two languages I know lol), BUT, I'm really good at picking up languages, so I could probably survive and figure out what I'm doing in any country, and if I had to choose... it would probably be Germany or Sweden or somewhere in the Netherlands.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:18 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,633,862 times
English speakers can quickly learn another Germanic language. Frisian is the closest to English. I think America is closest to the western part of Germany. A lot of Americans (especially in the midwest and Texas) are of German descent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty53000 View Post
I'd choose to live somewhere where the most common language used is either English or Spanish (the only two languages I know lol), BUT, I'm really good at picking up languages, so I could probably survive and figure out what I'm doing in any country, and if I had to choose... it would probably be Germany or Sweden or somewhere in the Netherlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World