Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 06:05 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times

Advertisements

Teaching English is probably the most common way of getting work in Asia initially. There are 4-week courses for TEFL/TESL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language/Second Language) that can be used to obtain that elusive first job. I did a Cambridge U./Language House Certificate in TEFL for Adults (acronym: CTEFLA: 4 week course, 120 hours, ~$1500) that helped me get work overseas although my bachelor and masters degrees also helped. Once you have worked in Asia for a while, it is easier to find more suitable positions for staying on longer.

For what it's worth, I spent one year teaching English in China, and 13 years in Malaysia, but not teaching English (still in Malaysia).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 04:47 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
If you have a college degree, you can teach English abroad...that's what I've done for years.... Dave's ESL Cafe is a good place to start for that.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:10 AM

109 posts, read 160,021 times
Hey guys, I wanted to thank everyone for taking time to participate, no-one has to, so I appreciate all the advices. I haven't chimed in partly because this is more a thread that I would sit back and read, and partly because some of the suggestions have led me off to extensive, peripheral readings, and even onto other forums. But I am here reading and enjoying, thanks again

Old 09-24-2009, 12:35 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,712 times
Default I tried to move to China but it didn't happen

Hi there,

I actually tried to make the move to China and would have been living there if Microsoft had hired me but they did not so I was forced to come back to the US. It sounds like the OP wants to move elsewhere and has enough of an interest. I say go where your heart tells you but also in this day and age, its tough to just pack up and move to another country to look for work. You will face competition for jobs. Good luck

Old 09-24-2009, 02:17 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Ireland is definitely not a good prospect right now.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:43 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Teaching English is probably the most common way of getting work in Asia initially. There are 4-week courses for TEFL/TESL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language/Second Language) that can be used to obtain that elusive first job. I did a Cambridge U./Language House Certificate in TEFL for Adults (acronym: CTEFLA: 4 week course, 120 hours, ~$1500) that helped me get work overseas although my bachelor and masters degrees also helped. Once you have worked in Asia for a while, it is easier to find more suitable positions for staying on longer.

For what it's worth, I spent one year teaching English in China, and 13 years in Malaysia, but not teaching English (still in Malaysia).
I agree with Teak that working in foreign countries as an TEFL/TESL teacher is a good start; it may lead to other opportunities in commerce, banking, diplomatic service, etc.
However with all the horror stories of unscrupulous language school operators abroad, make sure you know your rights and exercise them.

Overseas employers will provide free return-airtickets, free hotel accommodation amd even out-of-pocket expenses to job applicants selected to attend an interview. Any company/organization that requests you to send a check is a
SCAM operator.

Quote:
A Guide to a career with the United Nations (pdf file)
URL address: unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/public/documents/UN/UNPAN000153.pdf

United Nations - current job openings
URL address: jobs.un.org/Galaxy/Release3/Vacancy/Vacancy.aspx
2 samples -

Programmer Analyst, P-3

DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 08 Nov 2009
DATE OF ISSUANCE: 09 Sep 2009
ORGANIZATIONAL UNIT: International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia
DUTY STATION: The Hague
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: 09-IST-ICTFY-422456-R-THE HAGUE
URL address: jobs.un.org/Galaxy/Release3/Vacancy/Display_Vac.aspx?lang=1200&VACID=0ee8acbb-2a25-4b0a-a514-d875ef2f22c4

Information Technology Assistant, G-6
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 16 Oct 2009
DATE OF ISSUANCE: 16 Sep 2009
ORGANIZATIONAL UNIT: United Nations Environment Programme0
DUTY STATION: Panama City
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: 09-IST-UNEP-422222-R-PANAMA CITY
URL address: jobs.un.org/Galaxy/Release3/Vacancy/Display_Vac.aspx?lang=1200&VACID=7267a230-4ee5-4c2f-80cb-51c892950f54

Quote:
For U.S. Citiens: Employment Opportunities in the UN and Other Organizations
URL address:
state.gov/p/io/rls/iva/2009/129515.htm
227 job vacancies

sample-
TRANSLATOR (English mother tongue); Int’l Court of Justice (ICJ); (2009-ICJ-LIN-03); The Hague, NL
(Deg: ModLangs/Law/Translation; 2+ yrs int’l org exp; Fr); P-3; $94K

Quote:
UNESCO - vacant posts
URL address: recrutweb.unesco.org/postes/postes_visualisation.asp?AffLangue=gb&CATPOSTE=1

If you're a Canadian, there are CIDA and IDRC.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:17 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
First you need to check if it is possible to get a work permit/visa for the country you are interested in unless you have firm job offer in a particular country (and in that case the employer would organize your work permit/visa).

Old 09-25-2009, 09:42 AM

24 posts, read 83,137 times
I am from the U.S. and I have only worked in Europe. I have worked in The Nederlands, Norway, Spain and I am leaving in a month to start work in Sweden.

- how did you learn of and come by the opportunity?
I went and found work. I e-mailed my CV to everyone I was interested in working for. Most of it short term work, but as I am only 23, I am at the end of my interning days. I must have sent out over 200-300 e-mails and only 30ish responded back. I then chose from there where I wanted to go.

- in your opinion, what mediums are best for seeking out international work opportunities?
Honestly? learn another language besides English (If you don't already You are competing with Europeans/Asians who speak their mother tongue + English, if not some people who speak 5-6 languages. I think finding international jobs sites or even calling up the U.S. embassy in other countries searching for work is a good idea. (I work in fashion so it's a bit more difficult for me)

If you try, you will succeed, Cliche but very true. You can do the English thing BUT more and more people are trying to get those jobs and more and more countries are teaching their own people English.

It is illegal, technically, to go to the country you fancy and find work so it's best you find work first and then go. Not to mention countries like Norway if you were able to find a job there while in the country their immigration would send you back home until your visas were ready. That's another cost you want to avoid, too many tickets out there.

- did you find the experience rewarding in the end? elaborate.
Of course not only did my language skills improve I have learned to deal with people from different ethnic backgrounds and are just different culturally. I have made so many good, real friends and I adore being abroad. I really do. It also has helped my CV and employers are impressed when they see I have worked/interned in different countries.

- any other thoughts/advices/miscellany appreciated
If you are going to go for it, GO for it. Honestly there are so many Americans outside of the U.S. if they can, you can. It's not going to be very easy but it can be done. Good luck.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:42 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,780,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_1974 View Post

Hence my questions - for Americans reading here who have worked in other countries:

- how did you learn of and come by the opportunity?

- in your opinion, what mediums are best for seeking out international work opportunities?

- did you find the experience rewarding in the end? elaborate.

- any other thoughts/advices/miscellany appreciated

Thoughts appreciated
The first time I lived overseas the company I was working for sent me to Japan. I got that position because I already had a pretty good reading and speaking knowledge of the language (thank you California college system!) and the country to go along with the product knowledge.

The experience was ridiculously cool. Yeah, there was a hiccup here and there and no matter where you go you aren't going to get along with absolutely everyone, but my speaking ability improved markedly in the time I was there and the money was good.

Then I taught English in South Korea for a while. I found out about it through an ad in the L.A. Times. There was good and bad about that experience. The school owner was a self righteous, dishonest and incompetent yahoo and the school got raided twice for immigration violations (I went over on a work visa, so no problem for me on the legal end), but at least I got paid on time and the city of more than a million I lived in was incredibly quiet and crime free. On balance, though, I'm glad I did it. Met some pretty cool people and living overseas helps widen your horizons I guess the government has cleaned the english language academy industry up at least somewhat. There are nowhere near the volume of complaints about it that there were back in the day.

The problem with you is that you waited so long to look at going overseas. Because it gets harder for you to find employment in the U.S. as you get older, your best option is catching on with a global firm and then transferring overseas once a position becomes available. If you were in your 20's you would have had a lot more options.

Living overseas, though, does require a lot of mental flexibility and a willingness to learn. Going overseas and acting like you don't need to be considerate for local culture just because you're an American will not work. Also, no matter how much preparation you engage in for your sojourn, you will get homesick at some point. But it will pass unless the situation you find yourself in is a huge fustercluck. So this isn't something you just do lightheartedly.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:30 AM

82 posts, read 345,926 times
Techies have many options these days if they're willing to relocate abroad. Think Philippines, Hungary, Czech Republic. I know many people who have done this, programmers / network guys, etc. Opportunities are out there for adventurous native English speakers. Can make a good local living and (assuming no debt back home) even manage to save.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World