Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:37 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Actually, I think India gives some pretty good competition when it comes to diversity--that or France and the U.K. if you start counting outlying territories.

India's pretty incredible when it comes to its terrain and biogeography.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:36 AM

814 posts, read 2,307,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You're incredibly myopic. There are message boards in other languages (I frequent a few in Mandarin and a few in French). If you want to talk about jingoism, America is probably going to rank in the middle. The sentiment you're looking for is a lot more common on mainstream Chinese message boards than on an English-speaking one geared towards Americans.

Also, his main point was environmental, geographic, and topographical diversity. This is something that the U.S does actually have in spades given its vast size, and discontinuous boundaries abutting three different oceans as well as the largest complex of freshwater lakes in the world. Take a look at this map (though it is a rough generalization):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...teMapWorld.png

Do you see how there are many different climate zones within the U.S. and more so than within the boundaries of any other country? That's directly correlated to diversity of landscapes--now if someone's prizing diversity of landscapes above other factors, then yes, the U.S. is going to come out on top. If that's his criteria, then he's perfectly entitled to it (as encouraged by the OP).

He stated his opinion in a non-volatile way that was anything but denigrating. You, on the other hand, seem incredibly prejudiced and arrogant. I can only hope you're barren and too crazy for adoption agencies--the last thing I would want is for people like you to propagate.
i find it laughable that you call me jingoistic. only someone who was honest could tell his statement was jingoistic and arrogant. only an arrogant person would state 'equal' to, it's actually condescending. it's VERY common for americans to speak that way. you will notice the difference in statements from most of the other posters where they never state EVERWHERE else must be "equal but cannot surpass" that's not even good manners but rude and self-centered.

you don't want me to propogate? lol. The fact you directed that at me says a lot about the collective mob when in fact there are plenty of people who are worse who should not propogate and you would not even notice them. that proves you are not honest but also a person of mass hysteria. besides the fact, it's an interesting statement to make in light of the fact i am actually not arrogant and the fact you dismiss the bulk of arrogant and ignorant people out there just reveals you do not like someone to point out anything different, you are for just fitting in even if those members are not more worthy. i can't even say if you should or shouldn't propogate because i don't even know you to make such a stupid judgement.

Last edited by leaana; 05-11-2009 at 04:50 AM..

Old 05-11-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Yep there's definitley no resemblance between Malaysia and anywhere in the USA. Hawaii sure is ugly!
Since your statement is actually crazily rude and arrogant, i will put you in your place.

notice no one else on this thread is competing that someplace else may or may not be as beautiful or not. they understand the nuance of uniqueness and respect that about theirs and other countries. only the american fanatics on this thread confirm again and again the arrogant stereotype and it sure isn't me.

what i find laughable about hawaii and 'america' is it's way out there and doesn't even remotely resemble americans or are representative of them in the first place. it's like they are going to a foreign country when they visit. lmao. it was acquired what? recently anyways and it never should have been, they should have been left alone. such tacky american people is what you are. see? that's what i mean. you take huge liberties with your embarassing opinions and claims.

beautiful is a comprehensive and subjective term and meaning. so i am right and you are wrong to attribute(so classic) those characteristics as factual. malaysia does not have the same culture, not even the same topography etc than hawaii. it's another culture entirely and that experience will be different. it's very unrealistic to partition your mind and no one unless they are crazy just looks at topography when immersing themselves in the totality of a place. furthermore, america does not evoke the feeling of beauty in opinion, it just doesn't have that quality in comparison to other places that can evoke a haunting and humbling beauty. BESIDES, the fact i do not see that america in any place, weather or topography is more stunning than other places. in FACT, for every single place in america, i can find a place that is far more beautiful in my opinion so just because you have differing climates and topography doesn't mean other places on the planet isn't more stunning.

Last edited by leaana; 05-11-2009 at 05:15 AM..

Old 05-11-2009, 04:57 AM

Quote:
And thats just california!!! The only place that could compete with America is china. I dont think they have any medditerranean looking beaches though!!!
LOL, and this is what i mean. No one else is making those types of statements. even if i thought china was beautiful or most beautiful i wouldn't make such an assinine statement that it's comparable to some other place and therefore better or equal. Besides the fact, again, what you don't understand is china has a different landscape altogether and it's not exactly like america even in weather, foilage, wildlife etc. It is not the same, it feels different and it looks different and it is different in the variant quality of those characteristics.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:35 AM

605 posts, read 1,843,062 times
Woh, you are so sensitive. If you don't like people disagreeing with you go somewhere else.

You make terrible points. First of all, try to make it more readable, like "such tacky american people is what you are". I'm not even American, and by quoting me, you make it seem like you're talking directly to me. So a person who has the knowledge of basic grammar would say "You're such a tacky American." But that would still be wrong because I'm not.

And saying "i'm right and you're wrong" is not an argument. The poster didn't ask what country has the best culture. He asked what was the most beautiful country in the world.

And if you think beautiful is subjective, why are we having this argment?

And Hawaii does have the same topography is pretty similar. They have mountains, beaches, and tropical rainforests.

Give it a break. Why are you so angry people said America?

Old 05-11-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
Woh, you are so sensitive. If you don't like people disagreeing with you go somewhere else.

You make terrible points. First of all, try to make it more readable, like "such tacky american people is what you are". I'm not even American, and by quoting me, you make it seem like you're talking directly to me. So a person who has the knowledge of basic grammar would say "You're such a tacky American." But that would still be wrong because I'm not.

And saying "i'm right and you're wrong" is not an argument. The poster didn't ask what country has the best culture. He asked what was the most beautiful country in the world.

And if you think beautiful is subjective, why are we having this argment?

And Hawaii does have the same topography is pretty similar. They have mountains, beaches, and tropical rainforests.

Give it a break. Why are you so angry people said America?
haha, what inane reasoning. of course beauty is subjective but only bigots are implying everything is equal to since there is beauty everywhere and may not be exactly similar. if america is the most beautiful then i shouldn't be able to find anything more stunning or beautiful anywhere else. so if one does think there are more stunning landscapes or views in another land, they must be incorrect? lol

No, the truth is that i am stating a truth and you don't like that because you want to believe that what you choose is the most beautiful, period. that's quite different than stating 'i think this is the most beautiful' when in actuality like a zealot, you are implying what you find beautiful is a factual statement based on similar topography so other places are not as stunning or can't be. It doesn't work like that. I swear the stupidity is amazing. If you would not gloss over the truth, you would realize whether you can find say something like niagara falls in america doesn't mean their isn't a place more spectaculer than niagara falls and there is.

people who attack grammar are petty on internet forums.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:24 AM

You've got things twisted. I never said there is no where else in the world that is beautiful. There are lots of places that are more beautiful than places in America. You can't just put words in my mouth and use them as an argument.

And Niagra falls is the most powerful waterfall. It is not the prettiest, or highest, but it is the widest and strongest !!! But the better side of the falls are in Canada anyways.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:58 AM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
i find it laughable that you call me jingoistic. only someone who was honest could tell his statement was jingoistic and arrogant. only an arrogant person would state 'equal' to, it's actually condescending. it's VERY common for americans to speak that way. you will notice the difference in statements from most of the other posters where they never state EVERWHERE else must be "equal but cannot surpass" that's not even good manners but rude and self-centered.

you don't want me to propogate? lol. The fact you directed that at me says a lot about the collective mob when in fact there are plenty of people who are worse who should not propogate and you would not even notice them. that proves you are not honest but also a person of mass hysteria. besides the fact, it's an interesting statement to make in light of the fact i am actually not arrogant and the fact you dismiss the bulk of arrogant and ignorant people out there just reveals you do not like someone to point out anything different, you are for just fitting in even if those members are not more worthy. i can't even say if you should or shouldn't propogate because i don't even know you to make such a stupid judgement.
I love your posts so much. I can actually see you laughing and chortling to yourself with crazed eyes and burning indignation. Who called you jingoistic? How is it that you can't tell the guy is saying he values diversity of landscape over all else, and he's not saying that America has the best in every individual category but that it has greater diversity within a single country (which is true by many measurable rubrics)? It was understood in his first post, but he gave you the benefit of further explaining to just you. Of course, now you have to rely on how beauty is subjective (covered in the OP of this topic!) or how crazy it is to rely on topography and weather (as if vastly different climates does not somehow create very different flora, fauna, fashions, habits, food, etc.). It doesn't really matter if you can find a place that's far more beautiful in your opinion, because if you're going ride on subjectivity, then it might not be as beautiful in someone else's--you're negating your own arguments (and one that you've pretty much have been arguing with yourself). And his whole point was that it was all within one country--you can pick and choose from all over the globe what you think is a beautiful and diverse collection of places, but the question is whether or not they're all in one country.

You're not by an stretch of the imagination honest--you've got an ax to grind, and it doesn't take much to get you swinging. I've lived in other countries where I was able to speak the native language, and I've noticed it's pretty much all countries that push themselves as being "equal to" or "better" than other countries.

There are a lot of people I don't want to propagate--I'd love a shrinking global population for sustainability, but it'd be great to have you cut out of the population as well. It's hyperbole to be sure, but I do want to give you a measure of how much waste I think you are.

You are arrogant. There are few words that are more apt than "arrogant" for you. You clearly believe what you say is superior and you clearly are trying to make a claim on honesty to the exclusion of other people and their opinions ("i am right and you are wrong" or the classic "the truth is i am stating the truth")--so much so that you have to "put people in their place" as if you knew exactly where to rank people and opinions. You are clearly overbearing in your assumptions about people and their dreadful "Americanisms."

Please pile on more responses. It's good sport.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I love your posts so much. I can actually see you laughing and chortling to yourself with crazed eyes and burning indignation. Who called you jingoistic? How is it that you can't tell the guy is saying he values diversity of landscape over all else, and he's not saying that America has the best in every individual category but that it has greater diversity within a single country (which is true by many measurable rubrics)? It was understood in his first post, but he gave you the benefit of further explaining to just you. Of course, now you have to rely on how beauty is subjective (covered in the OP of this topic!) or how crazy it is to rely on topography and weather (as if vastly different climates does not somehow create very different flora, fauna, fashions, habits, food, etc.). It doesn't really matter if you can find a place that's far more beautiful in your opinion, because if you're going ride on subjectivity, then it might not be as beautiful in someone else's--you're negating your own arguments (and one that you've pretty much have been arguing with yourself). And his whole point was that it was all within one country--you can pick and choose from all over the globe what you think is a beautiful and diverse collection of places, but the question is whether or not they're all in one country.

You're not by an stretch of the imagination honest--you've got an ax to grind, and it doesn't take much to get you swinging. I've lived in other countries where I was able to speak the native language, and I've noticed it's pretty much all countries that push themselves as being "equal to" or "better" than other countries.

There are a lot of people I don't want to propagate--I'd love a shrinking global population for sustainability, but it'd be great to have you cut out of the population as well. It's hyperbole to be sure, but I do want to give you a measure of how much waste I think you are.

You are arrogant. There are few words that are more apt than "arrogant" for you. You clearly believe what you say is superior and you clearly are trying to make a claim on honesty to the exclusion of other people and their opinions ("i am right and you are wrong" or the classic "the truth is i am stating the truth")--so much so that you have to "put people in their place" as if you knew exactly where to rank people and opinions. You are clearly overbearing in your assumptions about people and their dreadful "Americanisms."

Please pile on more responses. It's good sport.
if only i was making things up, it would be so easy wouldn't it? i'm not nearly as arrogant as the things i've heard americans say time and again across so many forums that it's distinctive like a marker. the only reason they don't get as much flak as people just let them get away with it because they do it so often. it gets tiring hearing their stupid crap.

having different climates or topography doesn't equate it to being 'equal' in beauty to everywhere else. that's a qualifier that's a personal stipulation. besides the fact, it doesn't even technically have anything to do with the concept of beauty in the first place. it is arrogant and bigoted as implying everywhere else is equal to in beauty but doesn't surpass.

i didn't contradict anything, several posters here did. since beauty is subjective maybe all the different weather patterns and topography isn't all that beautiful to someone else if that's not what they are looking for. it's how a place makes that person feel, not what they are supposed to like based on someone's practical idea about being able to ski one day and go to the beach another. BESIDES the fact, the topography and weather somewhere else may look more beautiful to them.

http://sevennaturalwonders.org

even the seven natural wonders are not all in north america. of course, the list is subjective too as some will not agree with all of them. if it wasn't for that huge crater in america, it wouldn't even make it on the list.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:08 AM

I KNOW I WAS SAYING MY OPINION
I consider a variety of lanscapes to be beautiful. This whole thread is subjective because it's asking what the most beautiful country is. Is it necessary that I write "In my opinion..."
Most people realize it is my opinion because I am writing it!!!
And why are you obsessing with equality??? The question is what country is the MOST beautiful? Many places surpass America in beauty. But as a whole America is the most beautiful (IN MY OPINION, because you obviously didn't recognize that)

And actually two wonders can be seen in America. The grand canyon and aurora borealis!
If you are fed up with Americans (and again I am not American), than go to a message board that isn't centred around America!!

Last edited by chicken.or.the.nugget; 05-11-2009 at 11:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World