Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has the world's best skyline?
Chicago 64 19.51%
Dubai 19 5.79%
Hong Kong 120 36.59%
New York City 107 32.62%
Shanghai 11 3.35%
Tokyo 7 2.13%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:13 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,151,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I think you need to calm down. I don't hate NYC, if I did, I would say so, I really don't care what people here think and I try to be as open about how I feel about a place as possible, I actually like the city a lot, but it isn't my favorite, or even second, or third or fourth.

I don't like the buildings in New York City, I don't really understand why that's so hard for you to swallow, not everyone has to like your city the best, and I sure as hell don't.

Grow out of your "NYC is the best and you have to like it" mentality. I like it, but you're just overdoing it, my skyline favorite in USA is Chicago. Why? I like the modern buildings being all over the place over traditional buildings, I like the taller atmosphere, that's also why I like Dubai, and Hong Kong because of the tall modern looking buildings. I don't like New York City because of that very reason, plus having more buildings doesn't cut it for me, I like a city where I can enjoy it's buildings off my taste not a city that I can brag like some idiot that my skyline is the biggest.

Whoa, calm down chico. No need to beat my dog. Look who's awfully defensive.....You forgot your pill tonight......It's just my opinon right. Just like yours was yours. Im just stating my opinion, just like you did. No need to get all high and mighty.

And P.S. I really don't care what you like, you just happened to be a poster that I could currently reply too. Your opinion by no means is important to me. You reply with such conviction Im almost "yawn" impressed by your gusto. But hate to be the one to slow you down. But No offense, your opinion is really NOT THAT IMPORTANT to me. Your entitled to just keep on keeping on.......AT ease Private.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 06-21-2010 at 09:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 09:17 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Whoa, calm down chico. No need to beat my dog. Look who's awfully defensive.....You forgot your pill tonight. Let's not get your panties in a bunch.....It's just my opinon right. Just like yours was yours. Im just stating my opinion, just like you did. No need to get all high and mighty.
No, what you were doing was out attacking the opinions of your peers. I did not, list your favorite places. I won't shoot it down. I haven't shot anyones down here. My track record on this thread is clean, look at yours.

And by the way, I'm not even going to respond to the bolded portions, I don't know you, you don't know me, I respect everyone here whether I like them or not, clearly you don't by the use of your words.

As for being all high and mighty, whatever....

Old 06-21-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
No, what you were doing was out attacking the opinions of your peers. I did not, list your favorite places. I won't shoot it down. I haven't shot anyones down here. My track record on this thread is clean, look at yours.

And by the way, I'm not even going to respond to the bolded portions, I don't know you, you don't know me, I respect everyone here whether I like them or not, clearly you don't by the use of your words.

As for being all high and mighty, whatever....

Was I? I thought I was attacking peoples opinions or cities themselves. You are taking this all way to personal. Which leads me to wonder why? Done wondering, going on now take care.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
You are taking this all way to personal. Which leads me to wonder why? Done wondering, going on now take care.
Personal nahhh...

I guess we're done here.

Quote:
I agree...... not. You can't be serious. Yeah, Sao PAOLO, and their uninspiring, bland, completely similar condos look so great! That's sarcasm, for those who can't tell. Then Rio De Janiero?, Miami, Santiago for crying out loud. But of course no NY. Who wants goth, modern, classical, etc architecture when you can have bland Miami beach style condos....At least you have Chicago on here, but I would never guess that you just don't like NY.

You can't be serious?! Not really a question.
Quote:
Well let's close the thread. He has spoken!

So many on here, just come on and say Hong Kong and or Dubai as if their opinion is fact, yet give no reasons to back it up. Im not saying you can't have your opinion, but why not some explanations since you are so sure about yourself.

I'll say this about Hong Kong. It would definately get my vote if I wanted a Miami Beach condo style setting. But I prefer darker, classical, gothic set architecture will substance. I prefer a skyline which has skyscrapers older than me. Sorry Dubai. I prefer a skyline with depth. Every building doesn't look the same. No offense to you Sao Paolo. I prefer a skyline with integrity, no pun intended Hong Kong. A skyline where they weren't just built in bunchs "cough, Dubai" as for stata quo or to join the race. I prefer a skyline with heart. A skyline in which the REST OF THE WORLD WAS FORCED TO LOOK UP AND TAKE NOTICE. Not a copycat. Not an imitation. Not forgotten.

I guess I'll go with NY. Don't you east coast hating, midwest bubble gum chewing, asian eat dog as chicken blundering, ring worm seeking haters can all chime in at once. WE HATE NY.

Heck, some of you would put Phoenix above NY. Because let's face it. NY sucks right. Phoenix's unigue balance of dessert and hay just make for that unigue type of setting. Sure and My name is Wally Midwestipliar.

P.S. None of the opinions expressed here are facts. They are just my opinion. My opinions are by no means a reflection of City-Data.

disclaimer, but if city-data were smart...he he he, they'd share my same opinion....
Have a good day.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:32 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,106 times
Quote:
I agree, cause Miami's architecture is world class....
Actually, Miami's architecture is world class, quit hating. This guy is something else, are you even from New York or are you just trying to feel special?

Old 06-21-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Actually, Miami's architecture is world class, quit hating. This guy is something else, are you even from New York or are you just trying to feel special?

Just trying to feel special

Actually I didn't think I had to be from NY to appreciate their architecture. I stand by my opinion. I don't like Miami's architecture. In fact, I think it sucks. Most of their skyscrapers look the same. Very condo'ish/ Latin American....Just not my thing. But I guess I am just hating, since you say so. Yet, I seem to give reasons for all my opinions. Weird, ha..

I'll let you have the last word, because I am not going to bicker with you back and forth. Besides, you seem to always have an answer for some people. I see you argue on here more than almost anyone else. Just too confrontational for me. You can stick me one last time. I don't care. I don't need the last word.

It's almost like your out patroling for victims, because every thread has to be about giving someone who didnt ask for your opinion your opinion. Are you really that bored that you just sit and wait for your ambush to some unyielding victim, err city data member?

Last edited by supermanpansy; 06-21-2010 at 09:49 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 09:43 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,106 times
It's not that you give your opinion, it's that you add stupid remarks with it "asian eat dog as chicken blundering" blah blah blah...

Old 06-21-2010, 10:26 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,091,766 times
Nyc has new buildings aswell. Ya act like nyc has only old buildings and with all the new developments coming to the city, nyc is going to be a beast.

In my opinion hong kong has no classics,nothing on the level of the chrysler building or the ESB. Nyc is a skyline full of classics. New yorks skyline is authentic hong kong is all a bunch of lights and glitter. Asian city's are all style no subastance. Nyc is the original

Old 06-21-2010, 10:30 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Nyc has new buildings aswell. Ya act like nyc has only old buildings and with all the new developments coming to the city, nyc is going to be a beast.

In my opinion hong kong has no classics,nothing on the level of the chrysler building or the ESB. Nyc is a skyline full of classics. New yorks skyline is authentic hong kong is all a bunch of lights and glitter. Asian city's are all style no subastance. Nyc is the original
Actually, Chicago is the original. NY copied and improved on Chicago's invention.

Despite your hometown bias, NY is rather behind in the poll........

Old 06-21-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
l
I know you're talking to me indirectly without quoting me KONY, but just want to make sure it was directed to me, right?

This is New York City:
http://www.travelersdigest.com/pictures/assorted/skylines/newyorkcityskyline.jpg (broken link)

This is Hong Kong:

This is Chicago:

This is Miami:

KONY, I know New York City has a lot of modern buildings, I even know it's skyline is adding quite a lot of modern buildings. But which do you think clearly exemplifies modern buildings more?

New York City or Hong Kong? New York City or Chicago? New York City or Miami?

Yeah I know New York City has some of the best modern and post modern things planned/under construction but does it's overall skyline look like that? No. That's why I like Hong Kong, Chicago, and Miami more.

Because I'm really into modern and post modern buildings, I don't really like the traditional non glass style buildings all too much unless there's a few of them in a skyline with mostly glass styled buildings to add diversity to the skyline... but that's about it.

I've got a lot of respect for you as a poster, and that's true, but you can't presently say New York City looks more modern than Hong Kong, and you can't say overall traditional buildings are better than modern, it's highly subjective. There are always people who will prefer one style over another. There's always people who will like a skyline with 1100 buildings over one with 6000. There's always people who will like one during the day and another during the night. New York City and Chicago are pioneers in the skyline world, the ones that made it into what it's known for, but that aside, there are other cities in the world that have surpassed them now. Their time was back then, they're great but there's better out there (in select criteria), IMHO.

Last edited by DANNYY; 06-21-2010 at 11:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World