U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What city has the world's best skyline?
Chicago 58 20.35%
Dubai 16 5.61%
Hong Kong 110 38.60%
New York City 84 29.47%
Shanghai 10 3.51%
Tokyo 7 2.46%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:09 PM

7,732 posts, read 7,399,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
4. NYCS architecture absolutely blows hong kongs out of this dimension
Um, no - it doesn't, as the poll accurately reflects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 01:47 PM

6,344 posts, read 7,768,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
what experts place chicago over new york? Chicagoens plz stop saying that. Just because one or two sites state this, doesnt repel the fact that nyc is seen as Americas number one skyline of skylines

As far as hong kong goes-

1.The density of Midtown is unmatched
2. Nyc is a cluster of classic world known scrapers
3. What buildings does hong kong have that are classics, what do they have that resonates with the world? Its all just collection of glitz and lights. I think they even use their buildings to conduct light shows everynight, or something like that.
4. NYCS architecture absolutely blows hong kongs out of this dimension
5. And finally what buildings do they have better than the CHRYSLER, that goes for chicago aswell
Bank of China Tower is definitely known world-wide by architecture lovers. 2 IFC is very well known and is a beautiful building.

It's hard to talk down on Hong Kong for having "shiny" buildings since they've only begun building their towers recently.

I had to laugh when you mentioned the Midtown density is unmatched...you do realize the entire city of Hong Kong (which includes Kowloon, New Territories, etc.) is about 60% denser than Manhattan, right? Hong Kong Island is absurdly dense. Don't get me wrong...Manhattan is insanely dense. I think Midtown and Hong Kong Island are comparable, but with an edge to HKI. You need to give credit where credit is due...

Thanks (http://www.flickr.com/photos/praziquantel/ - broken link)

Thanks (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wenzday01/82242945/sizes/l/in/set-72057594127175739/ - broken link)

Thanks (http://www.flickr.com/photos/distantpeak/ - broken link)

Oh my... (http://www.flickr.com/photos/derrickgmp/ - broken link)

Grand finale... (http://www.flickr.com/photos/xavibarca/ - broken link)

One more couldn't hurt From Kowloon...this gives you a good impression of just how insane HK is. Especially considering 4 of its tallest builduings/main clusters aren't visible in this picture.
Thanks (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lawrencerigby/sets/72157623035657378/ - broken link)

Old 03-24-2010, 04:27 PM

184 posts, read 357,579 times
Hong Kong has the best skyline in the world by far.
Chicago has the #2 spot....
Then the rest which really don't matter to me.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:54 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,938,608 times

From boston.com's The Big Picture
Photos by Jason Hawkes

Flickr, Evan Joseph

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Photo removed by Moderator (due to enormous size). Please see the posting guidelines! What To Post In This Room (and - NOT). READ BEFORE POSTING ****
By RFC on SSC
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

by mls_ on SSC

Sabrina.Pierantozzi, Flickr

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 03-26-2010 at 12:06 AM..

Old 03-24-2010, 09:11 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,473,451 times
hong kong is very dense! my heart belongs 2 NYC though.......love CP at night pic!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:31 PM

300 posts, read 536,850 times
IMO opinion Hong Kong blows NYC (or any other skyline in the world) out of the water. It might just be because I prefer modern architecture, but I even think Chicago's skyline is better then NYC.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:45 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,162,831 times
I think Hong Kong is so ugly and tacky. It is all neon lights with buildings that all look the same. I don't care how many highrises they have, that is one freaking ugly looking sklyline. I don't think it being near water helps it either, somehow it reminds me of some beach towns in america on steroids. Their architecture is just so tacky and hideous that I can't believe it is winning this poll. i personally think many people are using this poll to stick it to NY. NY is the epitome of a historical skyline. Their many supertalls blend so well with so many other beautiful buildings. It seems like they're all in the right spots. When your walking in midtown, it seems like every block is capped off with some wonderful looking super tall skyscraper. The architecture in NY to me is unparrallel. With their mix of stock of old and new buildings create a sort of post card effect of NY. In some blocks you can swear that you are in 1920. There is a real going back in time appeal to NY. My second choice would be Chicago because of their architecture and the balance to their skyline. However, the downside to Chicago is that their density hurts it as well as their lack of size compared to the shear size of some of the other cities in the poll. To me Asian cities with the exception of Shangai just turn me off. Shangai I will admit has a bit of character that I just don't get from Hong Kong or Dubai, etc. I agree with those who said that pictures don't always do NY justice. Looking at NY from some pictures don't even impress me. But I have been to NY so many times and have seen it from so many angles that I know how great it is. Personal experience is how I know that many of these pictures don't do it justice. Trust me standing in some parts of NY you really feel like you are in the center of the world...Go NY, Hong Kong and it's childish tacky neone lights look like a disfunctional disneyfied version of a city. To me a real city has a look of old, new, and grit. It doesn't look all girly with neon lights and highrises that look like cheap hotels all over the place. I mean seriously Hong Kong isn't even in my top twenty. Just horrendous. The architecture of Hong Kong is so bland it is not even funny.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 03-24-2010 at 11:56 PM..

Old 03-24-2010, 11:59 PM

32 posts, read 6,511 times
The buildings in Hong Kong are ugly.

But at night, when you can't really see the buildings, the skyline looks beautiful.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:16 AM

6,344 posts, read 7,768,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I think Hong Kong is so ugly and tacky. It is all neon lights with buildings that all look the same. I don't care how many highrises they have, that is one freaking ugly looking sklyline. I don't think it being near water helps it either, somehow it reminds me of some beach towns in america on steroids. Their architecture is just so tacky and hideous that I can't believe it is winning this poll. i personally think many people are using this poll to stick it to NY. NY is the epitome of a historical skyline. Their many supertalls blend so well with so many other beautiful buildings. It seems like they're all in the right spots. When your walking in midtown, it seems like every block is capped off with some wonderful looking super tall skyscraper. The architecture in NY to me is unparrallel. With their mix of stock of old and new buildings create a sort of post card effect of NY. In some blocks you can swear that you are in 1920. There is a real going back in time appeal to NY. My second choice would be Chicago because of their architecture and the balance to their skyline. However, the downside to Chicago is that their density hurts it as well as their lack of size compared to the shear size of some of the other cities in the poll. To me Asian cities with the exception of Shangai just turn me off. Shangai I will admit has a bit of character that I just don't get from Hong Kong or Dubai, etc. I agree with those who said that pictures don't always do NY justice. Looking at NY from some pictures don't even impress me. But I have been to NY so many times and have seen it from so many angles that I know how great it is. Personal experience is how I know that many of these pictures don't do it justice. Trust me standing in some parts of NY you really feel like you are in the center of the world...Go NY, Hong Kong and it's childish tacky neone lights look like a disfunctional disneyfied version of a city. To me a real city has a look of old, new, and grit. It doesn't look all girly with neon lights and highrises that look like cheap hotels all over the place. I mean seriously Hong Kong isn't even in my top twenty. Just horrendous. The architecture of Hong Kong is so bland it is not even funny.
For being one of the best, most powerful, and most confident cities in the world, New York sure has some insecure forumers. I personally like the sheer size, natural setting, and architecture (of its best buildings) of Hong Kong slightly more than New York City...but I love the mix of old and new you can find in New York. However, I find it absolutely hilarious that the only defense some can find is "Hong Kong isn't even impressive", "Hong Kong is tacky", "You're just trying to stick it to us"...awww, poor widdle New York. Everyone's just trying to bully on you, that's the only reason you could ever lose anything...not true. Perhaps some people just prefer Hong Kong to NYC. Have you ever thought about that? Or is that just soemthing you can't accept?

Let me totally derail a few of your points...starting with architecture. I'll be the first to say it: a lot of the architecture in Hong Kong is hideous. The old resi-towers are gawd awful in many cases. You're not going to find any old classic skyscrapers there...However, they do have some amazing modern buildings. Bank of China Tower often battles with Chrysler for "World's Best Skyscraper". By the way, I made sure all pics were day pictures so we don't have to hear the complaint "Hong Kong is only impressive at night"

Thanks ... btw, it's very simple but Cheung Kong Centre to the right is awesome in its own right IMO.

Thanks

Thanks

Two International Finance Centre...you may remember this building from The Dark Knight
Thanks

Nina Tower

Central Plaza

Highcliff...residential skyscraper located on the second most expensive street on the planet (behind only a street in Monte Carlo).

Image removed by Moderator - contains copyright watermark - not allowed (read room sticky please).

Suck it in!

The robotic looking Lippo Centre

You call the Shanghai skyline classy and Hong Kong childish and girly because it has neon...how strange (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pascoule/1900937011/sizes/l/ - broken link).

You also talked about how the neon lights make the city look disneyfied...um, no. Neon is just a common thing in all Asian cities. If you want disneyfied just step in Times Square. You also mention a city needs grit...as if Hong Kong doesn't have that?! You do realize that there are a ridiculous amount of slums there, right? Finally, you mention that Hong Kong being near the water doesn't help it...and that it makes Hong Kong look like an American beachtown on steroids. Please, please, PLEASE explain your rationale with that. Hong Kong's waterfront is treated no differently than New Yorks. However, Hong Kong does have some amazing (http://www.flickr.com/photos/58922922@N00/34210927/sizes/o/ - broken link) beaches on the backside of the island...

What it comes down to is that you don't really have a good reason as to why New York isn't winning this poll. In your mind, there's nothing that can match NYC, which is fine...however in the process your only defense is to attempt to drag other cities through the mud.

Here, how about this...let's get your list of top 20 skylines in the world. I want to see the twenty skylines which are better than Hong Kong.

P.S. New York City is my favorite city in the United States, by far...However I get annoyed with the "we can do no evil" attitude of some of the NY forumers on this site.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 03-26-2010 at 12:10 AM..

Old 03-25-2010, 01:09 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,996,266 times
2 IFC is so beautiful and classy. Cesar Pelli's work is some of my favorite when it comes to modern skyscrapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World